Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Gilligan's Isle Challenge

AuthorMessage
Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
This is just something fun to do & amuse the readers of the message boards, until we get an update.
The challenge is to imagine yourself as a writer for KI's P101. The idea is to create a side quest string based on the TV show Gilligan's Isle. Hve at least 3 quests for the NPCs. Include at least one battle & collect quest. Create battles, creatures, rewards, etc.
I'll start:
You are asked to investigate the disappearance of a tour ship in the Bermuda Vortex.

Entering this vortex you see a volcanic tropical island. A wrecked ship on the beach is the "Guppy".
When you land you are greeted by the seven survivors of the wreck:
The "Shipper" a golden bear

His first mate, Milligan, a wharf rat

The "Professional", a Fox Engineer ( like Lucas Fox )

Barkstone Howl the IV, a Dog millionaire

"Dovey", his wife, a Poodle type Dog
Cinnamon, an actress, spaniel type Dog

and
Polly-Anne, a female Frog

( If you have ideas for other characters feel free to create new ones! )

1. Find log wood in the jungle to build a wall protecting the huts from hostile Troggies in the jungle.
2. The Professional has lost his slide rule, mechcanical pencil and compass to the troggies. Defeat troggies to find the items.
3. Go on board the "Guppy" and retrieve supplies from the watermole witchdoctor now in residence. He considers the "Guppy" to be a sacred totem. "It came with the storm from beyond!"
4. Rescue survivors by taking them home.

Rewards:
A model of the "Guppy"
One of the grass huts for your house.

Recruit one of the survivors by class, ( except B. Howl IV & "Dovey". ), unlocking the others.
Various gear drops.

Now, you creative marauders, I'm eagerly awaiting to see what you come up with!
"Just sit right back and you'll hear a tale...."

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
Quest 1: Coconuts Roll - help the castaways gather essential nutrients by building a bamboo track for rolling coconuts from the grove on the hill to their camp. Gather bamboo and assemble the track.

Quest 2: Beauty Pageant - Act as impartial judge for the beautiful castaways as they squabble about which of them is Queen of the Isle. (No matter who you pick, arguments ensue and the women stop speaking to each other until Bonnie Anne gets them to realize they are ALL awesome in their own way.)

Quest 3: Fix the Radio - Troggies have stolen the batteries, defeat them and collect the six C batteries so that the castaways can listen to their tiny radio once the Professional fixes it.

Quest 4: Raise the Guppy - Help repair the gaping hole in the side of the Guppy with sap and wood from trees. (Of course, Milligan manages to create a new gaping hole in the opposite end as soon as all materials have been used.)

Admiral
Oct 27, 2009
Wonderful thread!
You need to help build a raft for them to escape.
Quest one: Find fallen palm trees for lumber.
Quest Two: Fight plants to collect vines to tie lumber together.

Quest Three: Battle treants to collect sap to seal crevices.
Quest Four: A) Find the lost Professional. B) Rescue the Professional from Troggies. C) Show him the supplies and find his lost design tools. The tools were found by Boris, a Polaran bear explorer, and his penguin assistant, Natasha.

Quest Five: Go buy pickled herring for the journey, from Boris and Natasha.

The raft is finished by the castaways, and they excitedly go to the huts to pack their extensive wardrobes and handcrafts. Boris and Natasha hop in the raft and sail away, waving and calling "Dosvidanya, little pirate." You get the feeling you will see them again. Natasha left you a reward of gold and Red Herring pet snacks.

Commodore
Feb 12, 2015
I'm afraid I have never heard of "Gilligan's Isle"... is it okay if I do another story I know?

Based off: "The Adventures of Tintin." Specifically, "The Crab with the Golden Claws."

Location: The Isle of Dogs and Port Regal, starting in Gullet

Plot: The Frogfather has heard of a plan. One of his main rivals, a Quat named Umar bin Salad, has come up with a marketing plan that could topple the Frogfather's empire! But he doesn't know anything more than that. Because of your dealings with him in the past, you are hired to see what Umar's up to, and stop it, with the promise of many a coin in return. He send's you to the Isle of Dogs, where you meet Bintin, a young reporter who's heard of a strange shipin the harbor. From there you board the ship, coming upon Captain Maddock. Then you battle rouge sailors, end up in Port Regal, and stop Umar's regime! (Yes, I'm keeping the rest of it obscure.)

Side Quests:

Help Toady return a favor.

Help Boneson and Boneston solve a case.

Help Bintin's landlady rescue her Sheep friend "From Rokugara, or was it Subata?" from kidnappers.

Help Maddock's friend, Captain Chestnut, collect supplies for the Serious.

Is this a good story?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Lookit Light on Jan 31, 2019 wrote:
I'm afraid I have never heard of "Gilligan's Isle"... is it okay if I do another story I know?

Based off: "The Adventures of Tintin." Specifically, "The Crab with the Golden Claws."

Plot: The Frogfather has heard of a plan. One of his main rivals, a Quat named Umar bin Salad, has come up with a marketing plan that could topple the Frogfather's empire! But he doesn't know anything more than that. Because of your dealings with him in the past, you are hired to see what Umar's up to, and stop it, with the promise of many a coin in return. He send's you to the Isle of Dogs, where you meet Bintin, a young reporter who's heard of a strange shipin the harbor. From there you board the ship, coming upon Captain Maddock. Then you battle rouge sailors, end up in Port Regal, and stop Umar's regime! (Yes, I'm keeping the rest of it obscure.)

Side Quests:

Help Bintin's landlady rescue her Sheep friend "From Rokugara, or was it Subata?" from kidnappers.

Is this a good story?
Yes, indeed and it's ok that you used The Adventures of Tintin.instead.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Calamity Finch on Jan 31, 2019 wrote:
Wonderful thread!
You need to help build a raft for them to escape.
Quest one: Find fallen palm trees for lumber.
Quest Two: Fight plants to collect vines to tie lumber together.

Quest Three: Battle treants to collect sap to seal crevices.
Quest Four: A) Find the lost Professional. B) Rescue the Professional from Troggies. C) Show him the supplies and find his lost design tools. The tools were found by Boris, a Polaran bear explorer, and his penguin assistant, Natasha.

Quest Five: Go buy pickled herring for the journey, from Boris and Natasha.

The raft is finished by the castaways, and they excitedly go to the huts to pack their extensive wardrobes and handcrafts. Boris and Natasha hop in the raft and sail away, waving and calling "Dosvidanya, little pirate." You get the feeling you will see them again. Natasha left you a reward of gold and Red Herring pet snacks.
Boris' actions seem Badanov, that we should meet him after all that! If we go to Polaris, perhaps we shall meet "Moose & Squirel" as well!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Lookit Light on Jan 31, 2019 wrote:

Side Quests:

Is this a good story?
You can find episodes of Gilligan's Isle on you-tube, enjoy!

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
For anyone who hasn't seen the TV show from the 1960's called Gilligan's Island, it started in black and white (that's how long ago it was) and finally had a season in color before being cancelled, just like another old show called "The Munsters." My own kids hate to watch anything made in black and white.

They are very quaint compared to today's television, but still can make you laugh because of their simple absurdity.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Willowydream on Feb 1, 2019 wrote:
For anyone who hasn't seen the TV show from the 1960's called Gilligan's Island, it started in black and white (that's how long ago it was) and finally had a season in color before being cancelled, just like another old show called "The Munsters." My own kids hate to watch anything made in black and white.

They are very quaint compared to today's television, but still can make you laugh because of their simple absurdity.

It takes a certain maturity to enjoy good B&W photography/filming. ( examples - Ansel Adams photographs or Orson Wells' Citizen Kane, lol,even Mel Brooke's Young Frankenstein is well filmed! )
The Munsters, The Addams Family or even McHale's Navy! ( Yeah, classic oldies, & not a single dirty word! )

Admiral
Oct 27, 2009
anecorbie on Feb 1, 2019 wrote:
Boris' actions seem Badanov, that we should meet him after all that! If we go to Polaris, perhaps we shall meet "Moose & Squirel" as well!
I'd love that. It always seemed that when the castaways had a workable escape plan, someone would be around to poach it from them. Everyone else who visited that island always had a way off it. Hey, maybe we are the ones who take the boat!

"Gilligan's Island" was made during the cold war and had the occasional run in with Russians; a Polarian Bear seemed a natural fit. Gilligan was re-run during the past several years on one of those retro type channels, along with many other shows from that era.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
"Gilligan's Island" debuted in 1964 and is still aired on various cable channels. ( I used to have a crush on Russel Johnson, the "Professor". )

If some readers don't understand Calamity Finch's reference to Boris and Natasha, they were 2 characters from the "Rocky and Bullwinkle Show" ( also from the 1960s ). They were a couple of "no-good-niks" with Russian accents whose nefarious plans were always foiled by Bullwinkle & Rocky the Flying Squirrel.
The humor of this cartoon is above that of the average child and is full of horrible puns.

Admiral
Oct 27, 2009
anecorbie on Feb 4, 2019 wrote:
"Gilligan's Island" debuted in 1964 and is still aired on various cable channels. ( I used to have a crush on Russel Johnson, the "Professor". )

If some readers don't understand Calamity Finch's reference to Boris and Natasha, they were 2 characters from the "Rocky and Bullwinkle Show" ( also from the 1960s ). They were a couple of "no-good-niks" with Russian accents whose nefarious plans were always foiled by Bullwinkle & Rocky the Flying Squirrel.
The humor of this cartoon is above that of the average child and is full of horrible puns.
If you didn't already notice, I like puns. The 2014 film "Mr. Peabody and Sherman" is a spin off from the "Rocky and Bullwinkle Show". There were a couple of live action films too, one with Boris and Natasha and one with Dudley Do-Right.

A moose and squirrel crash land on Gilligan's Island. They have to participate in the island's talent show in order to get the castaways to help fix the plane.

"Hey Rocky, watch me pull a rabbit out of this hat..."
Moose reaches in the hat. Gilligan's head pops out of the hat. "Hi Skipper!" "GIlligan!"
You and the castaways quest for airplane parts, finding some in the jungle, fighting gorillas for others. You fix the very small plane (only room for one moose and one squirrel). They promise to send help when they get to civilization. Gilligan tosses a coconut into the plane to give them a snack. It hits the compass, breaks it, and they take off unknowingly, with no way to find the island again.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Lol, I think I was beaten in that first round of the challenge! Willowy and Calamity, both of you demonstrated that you understood that the castaways should remain on the island, and your quests were in the spirit of the Gilligan story! I especially liked Calamity's use of another 60's icon in her story!

Lockitlight, I liked the fact that you decided to use a story you were familiar with and that did have a nautical/pirate theme, a very creative use of Tintin!

Now I propose that when our heroic pirate arrives on the island, ready to rescue the castaways, they mistake our pirates for a threat ( "Look Pirates! " ) and drive them off the island, losing any opportunity for rescue!

If anyone is up to a second round with a different story parody, let us know! I only ask that it have a nautical/pirate theme!