Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Help with countering bucklers plz

AuthorMessage
Petty Officer
Jul 20, 2015
Title says it all

Note I am a buccaneer

Lieutenant
Nov 14, 2015
valdus15797 on Sep 13, 2018 wrote:
Title says it all

Note I am a buccaneer
You could bring Contessa and use the corner strat (I'm sure there's videos on it). Put a fort or two on her, and she might not even die : o

Other than that, do you have trees? Hold the Line is good.

Otherwise, you could try to rush them before they fog.

Scent pet works well too!

Cedric Moone

Petty Officer
Sep 15, 2018
Don't run head on with them. Instead, attack from range, I know this from my first time against a . Use magic to weaken them and Gunnery is good when they can't be targeted. I'll reply with more information later.

Sneaky Wolf Silver,

Petty Officer
Sep 15, 2018
I've come back, with info as said, look out for their poison attack, it will kill you. They also have first strike, so ratbeard is good with repel boarders and hold the line, and Vengeance strike is good. I think delaying them before they fog, and then also having flanking is good. I'l come back soon, your's truly, Sneaky Wolf Silver, yar.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Stack a couple of shields and spread your team out, so the buckler's team can't bladestorm or relentless all ( or get everyone with a poison. ) Keep a shield in reserve in case they use purge,and if you've trained it or have gear that gives a hide use it when they fog. Stack those accuracy de-buffs ( vicious & brutal charges ) to reduce the chance of ripostes. A companion with Hold the Line and First Strike3 ( like Ratbeard ) can be a life saver, as well.
A pet with Scent is also helpful.

Ensign
Jul 18, 2013
Contessa is one of the best ways to deal with fog. Having a loyal scent 2 pet is also a lifesaver vs bucklers. Another good way to deal with them is to spread out. If they have purge(assume they do until you know they dont otherwise), use a fort or levy before they can reach you and walk out of purge range. Tide 2 buck companions are important during a fog charge. They have the ability the stun and even kill their attacker(fan, sarah, etc) with an accuracy buff and a strength buff. Spacing is also very key to not give the as much chances as possible to reach your companions. If they use their assasin shroud and you are 2 or more spaces away, you can walk away. After, you can hide if you are very low on health to make sure they can hit you. Then you can heal off the damage. Hope this helps.

Petty Officer
Sep 15, 2018
I'm back, and info is needed, Sarah Steele is brutal, watch out for her, and if you have hold the line, it is very effective to stop them in their tracks, when they fog, remember to use gunnery (if you have it) and maybe peter quint with relentless 3 is a good idea, Ratbeard with repel boarders and Old Scratch with Mojo rising, those are your best choices right now.

Your's truly, Sneaky Wolf Silver, yar.

P.S. If you have Lucky Jack Russel, teach him vengeance strike.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
piratelover410 on Oct 28, 2018 wrote:
I'm back, and info is needed, Sarah Steele is brutal, watch out for her, and if you have hold the line, it is very effective to stop them in their tracks, when they fog, remember to use gunnery (if you have it) and maybe peter quint with relentless 3 is a good idea, Ratbeard with repel boarders and Old Scratch with Mojo rising, those are your best choices right now.

Yes, hold the line is very good, yet has no effect on a fogged team. Fog doesn't trigger flanking, cheap shot, over watch, or readied spell, either.
Best bet is to have at least one companion with First Strike3 ( Ratbeard can be trained in this ).

Community Leader
Most of the information in the previous post is terribly inaccurate and not helpful

Sarah Steele is brutal- While this is absolutely true, Sarah is far from a popular companion in the current meta. The most dangerous swash companions that swashbucklers use frequently are Fan Flanders, and for people with Crown companions, the Haywire Battle Angel and Wagyu Sanjuro

Hold the line- Hold the line doesn't stop hidden approachers. I'm not sure if you meant to say this, but I'm just clarifying. However, htl 3 is very effective in closing out games against swashbucklers, since, if you can time out their hides, you can force them to walk into it, allowing you to chain against them

Remember to use gunnery- I presume you are an old meta player. Yes gunnery used to remove hide, butis hasn't for a while. In addition, after fogging, the buckler's team will be spread out, decreasing the effectiveness of bombs. If you want to get maximal value from bombs, do it BEFORE they fog. Finally, gunnery isn't that good.

Peter Quint with relent 3- Peter Quint needs vengeance 3. Period. End of discussion. With strength buffs, he's already going to chain very well, so relent 3 is near useless. Yes, venge 3 is a very effective way to punish a single fogged attacker (if 2 focus on Quint, he's dead). You mention this in your PS.

Ratbeard with repel boarders- Repel doesn't affect hidden approachers. Generally speaking, you want first strike 3 on your ratbeard when facing buckler. In addition, you probably want htl3 to prevent them from riposte chaining Ratbeard if they approach w/o hidden. The last 2 epics then have to go to bladestorm 2

Old Scratch w/ Mojo rising- Old Scratch can't get mojo rising.

There's an extensive guide I wrote on swashbuckler that should give people some insight in to how we approach matches. It's found on finalbastion.com under the PIrate101 pvp guides section

Writer, Editor, Administrator, and Pirate PvP guy at FinalBastion

Check us out for all things Pirate101 and Wizard101 PvE/PvP

Gunner's Mate
May 08, 2010
piratelover410 on Oct 28, 2018 wrote:

uhhhh
hold the line doesn't stop a hide, realistically is only decent at 3rd+ rank, gunnery doesn't remove hides anymore quint is better with veng 3 i believe (idk) and only 3 witch comps can learn mojo rising and scratch is not one of them.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Although Swashbucklers do have strong powers and the best of them carry very good gear, there are things you should know about these powers.
Black Fog - we only get one of these, also, any hide power can't be stacked. In other words, if the buckler is in hide and down to the last round of hide; he/she can't apply another hide until that one has worn off. You therefore have that one round to attack the buckler before they hide again. Even if they have a shield ( or two ) it won't stand up to a full out attack from all your companions.
Poisons - none of these can be stacked either The problem with Assassin's Shroud is the "no heal" curse. This is why you should spread out your team, so not everyone is affected by it.
Assassin's Strike ( & similar ) these cause bleeding over time, fortunately these don't stack. The buckler will have to wait 3 - 5 rounds before trying another of this style of attack. Please note that Assassin's Shroud & Strike can be stacked and is a favorite strategy among bucklers.
Taking off a hide - there are talents on some buckler companions that can remove a hide from them Sarah Steele has been mentioned; she has Repel Boarders, all you have to do is approach her to take it off ( if her attack goes through ). This is much better than waiting for her to use her Backstab or critical attack. Lucy Sterling and the Cat Pirate from the Yule Spirits pack are similarily equipped.
If the swashbuckler is using Fan, then try to lure her into a Flanking position, she has this talent. Also, if the buckler is using gear with ( or has trained ) Flanking or cheap shot then you can use these talents against them
And as has been mentioned before, a companion with First Strike3 can remove a hide when they are attacked.

Petty Officer
Jul 20, 2015
thanks for the tips lots of people recommend contessa what set should i use for her

Community Leader
valdus15797 on Nov 3, 2018 wrote:
thanks for the tips lots of people recommend contessa what set should i use for her
First Strike 3, Relentless 1, Riposte 1

Rough 4, Tough 4, Accurate 4, Dodgy 4, Agile 1 (or Agile 2 if your Contessa is 72)

Petty Officer
Sep 15, 2018
witchdoctor of awe... on Oct 30, 2018 wrote:
uhhhh
hold the line doesn't stop a hide, realistically is only decent at 3rd+ rank, gunnery doesn't remove hides anymore quint is better with veng 3 i believe (idk) and only 3 witch comps can learn mojo rising and scratch is not one of them.
Ok, a good way to stop a hide is with, believe it or not, First Strike and Overwatch, no idea which rank, but trust me, so I think maybe try listening, and testing, because a combo of epics is needed to stop this , but Old Scratch could help, not with mojo rising, but readied spell and cowards bane, he can set off a hide so quickly you won't notice. Why don't we call Ratbeard and see if he can help?

Petty Officer
Sep 15, 2018
And also, the best way to deal with a fog is to fog yourself, and wait for their fog to where off, But if you can't fog, try using bone chant and stuff like that to make a shield, though the claw trap and raise barricade work better. And use decoys, and if your're a , try using shadow step to get yourself somewhere where they can't reach you in time. Is my info useful now?

Community Leader
piratelover410 on Dec 1, 2018 wrote:
Ok, a good way to stop a hide is with, believe it or not, First Strike and Overwatch, no idea which rank, but trust me, so I think maybe try listening, and testing, because a combo of epics is needed to stop this , but Old Scratch could help, not with mojo rising, but readied spell and cowards bane, he can set off a hide so quickly you won't notice. Why don't we call Ratbeard and see if he can help?
We don't need to "Call Ratbeard." You're right, first strike 3 will break a hide when an opponent directly attacks a unit with this epic with a melee hit. The same is true with quick draw 3 and hidden musketeer units and intuition 3 and witchdoctor units. However, overwatch, repel boarders, and readied spell do nothing to a hidden unit, as they cannot "see" that hidden unit. (For what it's worth, Old Scratch doesn't even have access to readied spell). Cowards bane, cheap shot, and parting shot also do nothing to hidden units. The only epic talent that pirates and companions have access to that breaks a hide is first strike 3 and its melee equivalents. Scent (only on pets) also works.

Gunner's Mate
May 08, 2010
FS3 stops hidden attacks, and overwatch wouldn't even trigger against a hidden unit, same way with readied and cowards, unless you're referring to the hidden unit using them, but that's not even the context of the thread.

Have you tested, and stopped someone from hiding with Overwatch, or Readied Spell?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
First Strike 3 will break a hide but only if the hidden enemy attempts to attack and any hide ignores Over Watch because they're invisible ( the same with Readied Spell ).

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
piratelover410 on Dec 2, 2018 wrote:
And also, the best way to deal with a fog is to fog yourself, and wait for their fog to where off, But if you can't fog, try using bone chant and stuff like that to make a shield, though the claw trap and raise barricade work better. And use decoys, and if your're a , try using shadow step to get yourself somewhere where they can't reach you in time. Is my info useful now?
Your information is out of date and almost useless. Do you PVP at all? Yes, you can fog ( if you're a swashbuckler ) but other classes can't get this power,. The best hide available is Walk in Darkness and that's only through gear and leaves your companions without protection. As to summons they're almost useless.
Raise Barricade is good for Ranged classes but not really effective for Buccaneers.
Shadowstep might keep a buckler from you but does nothing for your team, who are now at the mercy of the buckler and their team.

Gunner's Mate
May 08, 2010
piratelover410 on Dec 2, 2018 wrote:
Bone Chant summons 1 skeleton. That is not a shield. Stygian Chorus summons 5 skeleton Hoplites, better, but no shield (needs hold 2 imo)
Witchdoctor shadow step won't matter when your entire team dies, then if that buckler has a buccaneer charge for any reason, they can reach 12 spaces with a single charge. (Poss more) Summons are already fairly ineffective without banner (trees might be the exception, but I can let a more experienced pvper correct me)

Petty Officer
Sep 15, 2018
Ok, i'm sorry for all the lies, though some is true, I just wanted to be known and yes, I'm useless , sorry .

Commodore
Feb 12, 2015
piratelover410 on Feb 4, 2019 wrote:
Ok, i'm sorry for all the lies, though some is true, I just wanted to be known and yes, I'm useless , sorry .
Don't call yourself useless.

You are only useless if you believe you are. You may have a hiccup here and there, but everyone who comes onto these boards is treasured by the rest of us as one of our own. Be happy!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
piratelover410 on Feb 4, 2019 wrote:
Ok, being ignorant isn't the same as lying - you were trying to help and that's a good thing. Get more practice in PVP, read posts in the Spar Chamber section, maybe ask a few questions there. Soon you'll be able to give good advice.
I'm sorry if I made you feel useless.

Petty Officer
Sep 15, 2018
Ok, here is what I do know, First strike 3, Relentless 3, and Bladestrom 3 should do some damage before a fog attack. Vengeance Strike 3, Bladestorm 3, and Relentless 3 could do some damage after a fog attack. If you choose number 1, try teaching your companions strong, accurate,tough,rough and maybe armored. If you try two, then the same as above. Hope you find this useful.

Petty Officer
Sep 15, 2018