Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

I Do Not Like The August 2018 Newsletter

AuthorMessage
Captain
Jun 10, 2013
I first want to take a minute and say the 1 thing I do like, I like how Bat Masterson posted about it in Captain's Log. OK so I like that, but I have a big problem with the actual newsletter itself.

Did anyone else reading it feel like it was all about Bat Masterson? Now I understand everyone (including myself) wants to know about our new community manager, that isn't the problem I am having. The problem I am having is the majority of the newsletter is about Bat Masterson as opposed to us the people that keep Pirate 101 alive. In the things that happened this month there were only 4 links to things players did, that is unacceptable to me because these forums show players have done way more things in the past month. I know Bat Masterson is busy with his new job, and I understand that, but I feel he rushed the newsletter and I feel he could have taken 2 more hours and come out with a way better product, this months newsletter does not represent the Pirate 101 community. Before I end this post, I want to say that I think Bat Masterson is a great community manager and I hope he can read this and create a way better newsletter for next month.

Admiral
Nov 01, 2013
RRRRZZZZ419 on Aug 3, 2018 wrote:
I first want to take a minute and say the 1 thing I do like, I like how Bat Masterson posted about it in Captain's Log. OK so I like that, but I have a big problem with the actual newsletter itself.

Did anyone else reading it feel like it was all about Bat Masterson? Now I understand everyone (including myself) wants to know about our new community manager, that isn't the problem I am having. The problem I am having is the majority of the newsletter is about Bat Masterson as opposed to us the people that keep Pirate 101 alive. In the things that happened this month there were only 4 links to things players did, that is unacceptable to me because these forums show players have done way more things in the past month. I know Bat Masterson is busy with his new job, and I understand that, but I feel he rushed the newsletter and I feel he could have taken 2 more hours and come out with a way better product, this months newsletter does not represent the Pirate 101 community. Before I end this post, I want to say that I think Bat Masterson is a great community manager and I hope he can read this and create a way better newsletter for next month.
Dino.

Of course it's all about Bat Masterson for this month. He's the new employee here at KingsIsle! They're celebrating, and they're asking us, the "loyal" players (hehehe), to celebrate with them.

They still had community shoutouts at the bottom, and did their usual fan-art, and they even did the Puppet Pirates. It's not like Bat took over the entire Newsletter.

Please read the Newsletter again before jumping to conclusions. Thank you.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012

It's hard to be the new guy in a new position, and needing to be brought up to speed ( not to mention filling the shoes of a great community manager like Tom ).
While I was hoping for more information of what's in store for P101, I feel this newsletter is necessary to introduce Bat Masterson. ( Manderson,lol ) And having the KI live broadcast from You Tube is a plus.

I'm sure after a month's worth of breaking in to the new job, the newsletters will be bringing us actual news.
BTW, I love the Rogues Gallery look at Itzen Kaan of the Tribal Pack, will the other companions from the packs be featured in the future? Time will tell!

Admiral
May 30, 2010

I disagree. Yes, there was that largish bit in the middle about Bat taking over, written, apparently, by both OEJ and BM. However, there seemed to be just as many bits about other stuff as always, with perhaps somewhat fewer things about what the players are doing, but that may well have been because the players weren't doing all that much last month. Folks are on vacation and busy, perhaps too busy to play as much as usual. Or with the W101 celebrations they haven't had much time to spare for P101 compared to usual months.

Give him a chance to find his feet, please. This is a new transition for us all.

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
I kind of agree that the repetition of the posts that appeared on the Message Boards was kind of unnecessary, but it was no worse that most of the newsletters from the past couple of years. Newsletters used to be full of news -- upcoming events and interesting articles rather than recapping the recap that we just saw on KI Live. Enough with the recaps!

I like the Rogue's Gallery, and Puppet Pirates, and the fan art parts. I miss seeing the Producer's notes or Vadima's Visions, and the Library section it used to have. Something NEW that wasn't seen before on KI Live or on the Boards.

I hope that Bat Masterson can drum up a little activity from the other staff to participate again in creating something more newsy -- a hint or concept, sharing a player email that asks a good question that might be of interest from Customer Support, or even just a small piece of news about someone doing something piratey at Kingsisle.

So, I kind of agree about the content, but I don't agree that it was Bat's fault at all. He was just using the template that Tom's been using for a while. By September, maybe a new format, please?

(and a Ship Icon, please!)

Captain
Jun 10, 2013
Fiorenza Rosanante... on Aug 3, 2018 wrote:
I disagree. Yes, there was that largish bit in the middle about Bat taking over, written, apparently, by both OEJ and BM. However, there seemed to be just as many bits about other stuff as always, with perhaps somewhat fewer things about what the players are doing, but that may well have been because the players weren't doing all that much last month. Folks are on vacation and busy, perhaps too busy to play as much as usual. Or with the W101 celebrations they haven't had much time to spare for P101 compared to usual months.

Give him a chance to find his feet, please. This is a new transition for us all.
Now I want you to know that I did say I think Bat Masterson is a great community manager in my original post. I also would like to state I sent an e-mail talking about 5 things I wanted addressed and I was really happy with the response Bat Masterson gave me. I like him a lot, I just feel the newsletter was rushed and ended up being too much about him, that is all. I am really happy with our new community manager so far, I am just not happy with the newsletter. I appreciate him allowing this post to go through, as I feel constructive criticism about the newsletter will cause a to get better newsletters in the future.

Administrator
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome! :)

I understand that there was a good bit about myself in the newsletter, we had to introduce me of course. I tried to express what we will be doing and what I hope to accomplish for the Pirate101 community in my letter. I know it wasn't much, but know that we're doing what we can here. I hope to have more for you soon!