Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Please Rename Dame Abigail Downton

AuthorMessage
Captain
Jun 10, 2013
I was walking around Circus Maximus the other day and saw a NPC called Dame Abigail Downton. I would like to ask that Kingsisle rename this NPC because 1 of the words in her name is used by people in Avery's Court as a substitute for a bad word. If this NPC's first adjective name is changed then that word can be made into an open chat only word, and this will make Avery's Court a friendlier place.

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
RRRRZZZZ419 on Jun 26, 2018 wrote:
I was walking around Circus Maximus the other day and saw a NPC called Dame Abigail Downton. I would like to ask that Kingsisle rename this NPC because 1 of the words in her name is used by people in Avery's Court as a substitute for a bad word. If this NPC's first adjective name is changed then that word can be made into an open chat only word, and this will make Avery's Court a friendlier place.
The word Dame is a title given in England as a way to honor females, rather than the term Sir, which is given to men. Dame Judi Dench, Dame Maggie Smith, etc.

I don't think Kingsisle needs to change an NPC's name just because some idiots are using it -- they should be Reported for their language if the meaning is not family-friendly.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Just because a few players are abusing text chat is no reason to remove a perfectly good word. Dame is a title in the United Kingdom and is equal to being a knight: as in Dame Judy Dench.
Just report those abusing the word, KI can tell if it's being used appropriately or not.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Perhaps you would like to remove hill or hail from our choices for text chat.....

Bosun
Dec 28, 2012
I think we should also change Madame Falmea. And Madame Vadima now that I think about it. Also Dame Moscerino in Valencia. You could also change all the lines of dialogue that refer to dame. Better yet, you could also go through every line of dialogue and remove madame while your at it. Do you see my point? The implications of your idea reach to a much greater extent than simply changing Abigail Downton, and the effort that would need to be put into it would not be equal to the reward.

Captain
Jun 10, 2013
Alex the Pirate on Jun 27, 2018 wrote:
I think we should also change Madame Falmea. And Madame Vadima now that I think about it. Also Dame Moscerino in Valencia. You could also change all the lines of dialogue that refer to dame. Better yet, you could also go through every line of dialogue and remove madame while your at it. Do you see my point? The implications of your idea reach to a much greater extent than simply changing Abigail Downton, and the effort that would need to be put into it would not be equal to the reward.
OK so I forgot about Dame Moscerino.

I have not seen "Madame" used for any bad purposes so I don't see any issue with that name staying.

Admiral
May 30, 2010
There is nothing like a dame....

It's a title. If we took out every word that could be used to go around the filters we'd never be able to communicate outside of "hi" and "bye". The folks that want to get around the filters will do so, no matter how limited the vocabulary is. Report them or ignore them or play in a less crowded realm.

Bosun
Dec 28, 2012
RRRRZZZZ419 on Jun 27, 2018 wrote:

I have not seen "Madame" used for any bad purposes so I don't see any issue with that name staying.
If dame is removed, people will just resort to using madame. People will always act like people.

Community Leader
RRRRZZZZ419 on Jun 27, 2018 wrote:

Why do you care? If people are being toxic and cursing around the filter, that's on them and KI. If it's really offensive to you or others, encourage them to turn off chat balloons or just don't engage with the offenders. As for changing "Dame", that's a terrible idea. Do you actually think that people won't just find another word? In addition, Dame and Madame are 2 different words. Dame is exclusively British, while Madam(e) is universally used. Keeping Dame shows the NPC's British-ness.

Writer, Editor, Administrator, and Pirate PvP guy at FinalBastion

Check us out for all things Pirate101 and Wizard101 PvE/PvP

Captain
Jun 10, 2013
Alex the Pirate on Jun 27, 2018 wrote:
If dame is removed, people will just resort to using madame. People will always act like people.
Madame is too long to be a good substitute to the bad word though, so if they said that it wouldn't have as much impact as the shortened version.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
RRRRZZZZ419 on Jun 28, 2018 wrote:
Madame is too long to be a good substitute to the bad word though, so if they said that it wouldn't have as much impact as the shortened version.
It's not the word that's the problem: it's the players who abuse it - this is one of the reasons why we can't say the word bed in game, because of abusers.

Keep asking to ban words and soon the only people permitted to speak will be the Open Chatters.
Stop trying to censor my speech and just report the abusers!
Note: if Dame was removed then the abusers would use madame or another word; where there's a will, there's a way.

Captain
Jun 10, 2013
anecorbie on Jun 28, 2018 wrote:
It's not the word that's the problem: it's the players who abuse it - this is one of the reasons why we can't say the word bed in game, because of abusers.

Keep asking to ban words and soon the only people permitted to speak will be the Open Chatters.
Stop trying to censor my speech and just report the abusers!
Note: if Dame was removed then the abusers would use madame or another word; where there's a will, there's a way.
Well I do agree it is the players and not the word that is the problem. That is why the word grape cannot be said in game, even though grape is simply an innocent fruit. But at the same time, if a word is being used incorrectly for bad more than good and it isn't a common word in the main country Pirate 101 is marketed too, than I don't think it would violate freedom of speech to remove it. Pirate 101 is a game that is supposed to be safe for kids, and Kingsisle has good reason for blocking some words. There are several other around the filter words I am not advocating to be removed because those words have another common use. Pirate 101 can be played in a l of places but like I said Pirate 101 is based out of Austin, TX and the word I am asking to be considered for removal is not a common word in America.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
RRRRZZZZ419 on Jun 29, 2018 wrote:
Well I do agree it is the players and not the word that is the problem. That is why the word grape cannot be said in game, even though grape is simply an innocent fruit. But at the same time, if a word is being used incorrectly for bad more than good and it isn't a common word in the main country Pirate 101 is marketed too, than I don't think it would violate freedom of speech to remove it. Pirate 101 is a game that is supposed to be safe for kids, and Kingsisle has good reason for blocking some words. There are several other around the filter words I am not advocating to be removed because those words have another common use. Pirate 101 can be played in a l of places but like I said Pirate 101 is based out of Austin, TX and the word I am asking to be considered for removal is not a common word in America.
Using the word "grape" as an example as a banned word isn't good as I know players have found a way around it's use, the same with bed.

This game is safe for kids younger that 13 with menu chat. I just don't want to be losing more words from my text chat.
Post Edit: It doesn't matter that "Dame" isn't a common word in the U.S.; the NPC is from Marleybone and that corresponds to Great Britain, where it is a title. Calling her "Dame" gives a certain flare to her, much better than calling her Miss or Mrs.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
anecorbie on Jun 29, 2018 wrote:
Using the word "grape" as an example as a banned word isn't good as I know players have found a way around it's use, the same with bed.

This game is safe for kids younger that 13 with menu chat. I just don't want to be losing more words from my text chat.
Post Edit: It doesn't matter that "Dame" isn't a common word in the U.S.; the NPC is from Marleybone and that corresponds to Great Britain, where it is a title. Calling her "Dame" gives a certain flare to her, much better than calling her Miss or Mrs.
Remove the word "Dame" and other words can be used: dome, doom, even dee aim ( yes, I've tested this: these words can be said in Text Chat. )
This proves that removing words isn't the solution - reporting and strong sanctions will stop cursing around the filter. Or ,if not stop it entirely at least muting the worse offenders, giving us a rest from their "potty mouths".

Captain
Jun 10, 2013
anecorbie on Jun 30, 2018 wrote:
Remove the word "Dame" and other words can be used: dome, doom, even dee aim ( yes, I've tested this: these words can be said in Text Chat. )
This proves that removing words isn't the solution - reporting and strong sanctions will stop cursing around the filter. Or ,if not stop it entirely at least muting the worse offenders, giving us a rest from their "potty mouths".
Dee aim is bad as well, I see your point but I do wish there was an easy solution for what could be done.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
RRRRZZZZ419 on Jul 2, 2018 wrote:
Dee aim is bad as well, I see your point but I do wish there was an easy solution for what could be done.
The "easy" solution is to report & keep on reporting, even if you don't see the results. Trust Captain Ahab and the moderators of KI!

Admiral
Oct 27, 2009
Just wanted to mention, I think her name is a reference to the "Downton Abbey" PBS show, at least the last name.

It is a tough job and a fine balancing act keeping the game civil and kid appropriate without shutting down communication in a draconian way. For those offenders who think they should be able to say anything at all, aren't there loads of places you can curse on the internet? Why not let there be a polite nitch here? After all, it's King's Isles house, and not as if the rules, and the kids audience, weren't there to be seen by all from the get go.