Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

who is ratbeard and catbeard based off of

AuthorMessage
Petty Officer
Mar 18, 2013
Maybe its just an idea that came to kingisle but ratbeard and catbeard uh i dont know at all maybe they just based it off of the beard family i dont really know do you know anybody at all

Admiral
Oct 27, 2009
I would guess the name is based off Blackbeard the pirate, though I think Ratbeard's attitude and style reminds me more of Long John Silver in Treasure Island, friendly and likable to young Jim, but up to no good and double crosses. If you have a Ratbeard, why not have a Catbeard too?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
keegar on May 27, 2018 wrote:
Maybe its just an idea that came to kingisle but ratbeard and catbeard uh i dont know at all maybe they just based it off of the beard family i dont really know do you know anybody at all
I don't think Ratbeard or Catbeard are particularly based on anyone ( historic or fictional ). I think they are original characters.

Petty Officer
Mar 18, 2013
anecorbie on May 27, 2018 wrote:
I don't think Ratbeard or Catbeard are particularly based on anyone ( historic or fictional ). I think they are original characters.
maybe they are its just a lot of people in the pirate101 world are based on real life people such as bonnie anne is based of someone

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
keegar on May 29, 2018 wrote:
maybe they are its just a lot of people in the pirate101 world are based on real life people such as bonnie anne is based of someone
I know this; but not all companions or NPC's are based off of "someone". KI writers are very creative.

Petty Officer
Mar 18, 2013
I know maybe they were just made even though catbeards first mate mr norrington or james norrington from pirates of the carribean mate look up mr norrington and you will see him so pirate101 might have copied him in tribute to pirates of the carribean

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
keegar on May 30, 2018 wrote:
I know maybe they were just made even though catbeards first mate mr norrington or james norrington from pirates of the carribean mate look up mr norrington and you will see him so pirate101 might have copied him in tribute to pirates of the carribean
P101's Mr. Norrington is nothing like PotC"s Mr. Norrington, the only thing similar is the name.

Petty Officer
Mar 18, 2013
Yes but after the first PotC movie he is singapore and has turned to a pirate maybe they are not the same person but it seems really likely maybe not i do not know

Admiral
Oct 27, 2009
keegar on May 27, 2018 wrote:
This game is full of fun references, while the characters Blind Mew created are his own. Ratbeard and Catbeard were probably influenced by many things, rather than based on a specific person's life, but the name, yes it was a Blackbeard reference. In people's minds, names ending in beard are piratey.

I refer you to the Legend of Bad Beard the pirate, from Phineas and Ferb, on Disney. When they went looking for pirate treasure, it was the treasure of Badbeard.

Here's what the US Park service says about Blackbeard,"The name Blackbeard is synonymous with pirating in the eighteenth century. Born Edward Teach (or possibly Thatch), he served England as a privateer in Queen Anne’s War until turning to piracy at war’s end in 1713." If interested, there is more info here on the Pirate101 page. Mouse over the Community tab for the the pirate lore library.

There is also a French folktale about "Bluebeard", a character fit for a horror movie, which would have been well known at the time Edward Teach might have been looking for a name that would scare and intimidate people.

Petty Officer
Mar 18, 2013
OK thats a lot of words but thanks for the information mate

Admiral
Oct 27, 2009
keegar on Jun 1, 2018 wrote:
OK thats a lot of words but thanks for the information mate
It's nice to have you on the boards, and interested in the history that inspires the game, and the references in game. Keep posting.

Petty Officer
Mar 18, 2013
Thx mate you too calamity finch