Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

What If You Could Switch Pirates During A Dungeon?

AuthorMessage
Captain
Jun 10, 2013
A few weeks ago I posted the idea of extra blue mojo potions and if they added more than 1 everyone didn't seem to like that idea. That said I felt the need to come up a different potential solution to that problem. Yes, everyone may think this is a bad idea also, but I still want to hear your thoughts. What if when you are doing a long dungeon and your health gets low or you get maxed out on gold after a battle you could go to character selection and have the option of finishing that dungeon on another 1 of your pirates so long as that pirate had done the particular quest for that dungeon in the past. Does anyone have thoughts on this idea? If this was implemented perhaps when you wanted to do this you would get a prompt when selecting another pirate that said, "would you like to finish [dungeon] on this pirate or would you like to go to your previous location you were at on this pirate"?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
RRRRZZZZ419 on May 9, 2018 wrote:
A few weeks ago I posted the idea of extra blue mojo potions and if they added more than 1 everyone didn't seem to like that idea. That said I felt the need to come up a different potential solution to that problem. Yes, everyone may think this is a bad idea also, but I still want to hear your thoughts. What if when you are doing a long dungeon and your health gets low or you get maxed out on gold after a battle you could go to character selection and have the option of finishing that dungeon on another 1 of your pirates so long as that pirate had done the particular quest for that dungeon in the past. Does anyone have thoughts on this idea? If this was implemented perhaps when you wanted to do this you would get a prompt when selecting another pirate that said, "would you like to finish [dungeon] on this pirate or would you like to go to your previous location you were at on this pirate"?
I don't think it's technically possible, due to the fact that you log out of the game to change characters, also a different character may be some place far away from that dungeon and unable to enter ( if it's a gauntlet like the Tower of Moo Manchu. )
Also, I don't think anyone would want this option at all.

Community Leader
Once again, no. Bad idea.
A few reasons
1. Coding this into the game would be a nightmare of epic proportions.
2. Each character our account has is an individual character. I don't think we should blur the lines between them. 3. Some dungeons are supposed to be hard. If you could switch to a full health, full mojo pirate with no wounded companions after your 1st/2nd/3rd/etc pirate lost significant amounts of health and companions, that would nerf them too much.
4. The loot/gold argument is meh at best. If you went into the dungeon with near full gold, you should have been aware that you were likely to max out and you should have spent some of that gold.

There is literally nothing wrong with how dungeons, mojo potions, etc operate in game currently. KI has enough on their plate with player-requested and/or necessary updates to the game. Don't overwhelm them.

Writer, Editor, Administrator, and Pirate PvP guy at FinalBastion

Check us out for all things Pirate101 and Wizard101 PvE/PvP

Captain
Jun 10, 2013
I want to respond to both Anecorbie and Matthew5250.

First Anecorbie,

I don't think it matters where a particular character is in game. For example, if you are in Skull Island you can port to a friend in Mooshu. This part shouldn't require much extra coding. Also, I don't think going to character selection is logging out of the game. I tested the character selection screen and just like shopping in the bazaar too long, you can get timed out for looking at the character selection screen too long. You can switch pirates without having to log out of the game so once again I don't think it would require much extra coding.

Then Matthew5250,

1. Yes, part of the coding would be difficult, but all they would have to do is sync up pirates on accounts and areas of the game already are synced.

2. Each pirate on your account is individual yes, but they all follow the same basic story line and the majority of the quests, excluding promotion quests, are the same.

3. Yes, some dungeons are supposed to be hard, and they would still be. For example, if this feature was added there would still only be a 4 second window to use it in the middle of the Smuggler's arena, and they could code it so only the last pirate you used got scrip for the run.

4. The gold arguement isn't meh. At max level it is easy to gain gold in dungeons like The Tower Of Moo Manchu, you can go in with no where close to max gold and come out unable to take more gold in. Adding this feature would be a great way to take more gold in, of course they could just raise the gold limit and give us a way to store excess gold.

And yes, I think crafting and a new world should come first.

Admiral
May 30, 2010
RRRRZZZZ419 on May 9, 2018 wrote:
Sorry, I dislike this idea even more than I disliked your other one.

First, who gets credit for doing the dungeon if you swap out? The first pirate certainly didn't make it, and the other probably already has the credit. What about the unique loot from that boss? Who gets that (assuming it dropped)? Both pirates? That would be too easy to exploit -- pull in an over-powered, higher level character for that particular dungeon and s/he'd mop up the under-powered, no challenge mobs and bosses and everyone gets loot.

If this is a dungeon meant to progress the story line, how do you justify moving forward with the story if that particular pirate didn't even get through that part of the quest?

If you're at max gold, you need to be spending some, not trying to get more. And since you can't pass gold from one pirate to another on the same account what the heck's the point? First pirate is already at max and second pirate (who would probably like to be doing her/his own adventuring) as just been dragged that much closer to full gold without the pleasure of progressing in the story line to do so.

What about those dungeons that are specifically for a particular character class, in order to get a promotion? How are you supposed to promote if you can tag-team the dungeon? Who gets the promotion, the guy that finished the dungeon? How do you justify the tagged-out pirate getting promoted?

For the Smuggler's Arena, you earn scrip for the number of fights you finish. What would be the point of me taking one pirate partway through if another pirate entirely gets the scrip? And surely the scrip for the previous fights wouldn't count for the new pirate in the arena. If I swap pirates, does the leaving pirate get that scrip?

The point of gauntlets -- Moo's tower and the Smuggler's Arena (and the Regatta) -- is that you must push one pirate as far as s/he can go. That's how far you get, whether it was to the penultimate fight or just through the first one or all the way through.

Admiral
Oct 27, 2009
I'd much rather have a larger backpack and bank, and the gold limit could be raised.

Captain
Jun 10, 2013
Fiorenza Rosanante... on May 10, 2018 wrote:
Sorry, I dislike this idea even more than I disliked your other one.

First, who gets credit for doing the dungeon if you swap out? The first pirate certainly didn't make it, and the other probably already has the credit. What about the unique loot from that boss? Who gets that (assuming it dropped)? Both pirates? That would be too easy to exploit -- pull in an over-powered, higher level character for that particular dungeon and s/he'd mop up the under-powered, no challenge mobs and bosses and everyone gets loot.

If this is a dungeon meant to progress the story line, how do you justify moving forward with the story if that particular pirate didn't even get through that part of the quest?

If you're at max gold, you need to be spending some, not trying to get more. And since you can't pass gold from one pirate to another on the same account what the heck's the point? First pirate is already at max and second pirate (who would probably like to be doing her/his own adventuring) as just been dragged that much closer to full gold without the pleasure of progressing in the story line to do so.

What about those dungeons that are specifically for a particular character class, in order to get a promotion? How are you supposed to promote if you can tag-team the dungeon? Who gets the promotion, the guy that finished the dungeon? How do you justify the tagged-out pirate getting promoted?

For the Smuggler's Arena, you earn scrip for the number of fights you finish. What would be the point of me taking one pirate partway through if another pirate entirely gets the scrip? And surely the scrip for the previous fights wouldn't count for the new pirate in the arena. If I swap pirates, does the leaving pirate get that scrip?

The point of gauntlets -- Moo's tower and the Smuggler's Arena (and the Regatta) -- is that you must push one pirate as far as s/he can go. That's how far you get, whether it was to the penultimate fight or just through the first one or all the way through.
Only the pirate that opened the lock on the treasure chest(s) would get the loot for that particular fight.

Also, you would have to have the quest for that particular dungeon on both pirates to switch in between them.

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
RRRRZZZZ419 on May 11, 2018 wrote:
Only the pirate that opened the lock on the treasure chest(s) would get the loot for that particular fight.

Also, you would have to have the quest for that particular dungeon on both pirates to switch in between them.
While I give you kudos for having lots of ideas, BUT many of your ideas are simply unworkable or not necessary for the average player. There is no way, literally, to switch characters within a dungeon, and honestly, there is absolutely no reason to do so.

Many of your ideas seem to be geared toward making the game easier for a player to finish quickly and with no challenges, but really the game is so easy already with just a little help along the way.