Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Lately, It Seems to Me...

AuthorMessage
Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Well, the experiment of using the gear suggested by the pundits of Ranked PVP was an utter fiasco. Using that gear reduced most of my main stats and contributed to my defeat.
It reduced my Accuracy, so my First Strikes didn't land.
It reduced my Agility so I did less damage.
It reduced my Dodge so that talent attacks went through on me, and my ripostes never triggered.
Gosh, it even reduced my Armor!
This isn't how to fight as a Swashbuckler.
I believe that stats play a big part in whatever class you choose to play. The experts/champions of Ranked PVP have one problem - they all think the same way. Part of this stems from their engagement in Central Tournaments with those stringent rules ( far more strict than the PVP now in the game ).
Everyone does the same thing, everyone carries the same gear. Everyone uses the same strategy regardless of their class.
I'm not stupid. I am creative & observant. And it seems to me that Ranked PVP is dying from lack of innovation. Trying to make a swashbuckler into a second-rate Buccaneer or Privateer, isn't what PVP should be about.

Ensign
Jul 14, 2015
anecorbie on Nov 25, 2017 wrote:
Well, the experiment of using the gear suggested by the pundits of Ranked PVP was an utter fiasco. Using that gear reduced most of my main stats and contributed to my defeat.
It reduced my Dodge so that talent attacks went through on me, and my ripostes never triggered.
I believe that stats play a big part in whatever class you choose to play. The experts/champions of Ranked PVP have one problem - they all think the same way. Part of this stems from their engagement in Central Tournaments with those stringent rules ( far more strict than the PVP now in the game ).
Everyone does the same thing, everyone carries the same gear. Everyone uses the same strategy regardless of their class.
I'm not stupid. I am creative & observant. And it seems to me that Ranked PVP is dying from lack of innovation. Trying to make a swashbuckler into a second-rate Buccaneer or Privateer, isn't what PVP should be about.
Hello, Ducky here.

First off, I will say that I basically have 6 max pirates, one of each class. I will also say that I rarely pvp because I have this inner thought on whether or not I’m good enough. I don’t practice often so I am not improving as much as I would like to. I’m the type of dude who tries to look tough, gear wise so yes, I do follow the latest gear trend. I usually hide in the tent and work on pets. Call me a pet n00b. Now You know my reputation.

Now, let me get to my point. After your very first experiment in trying to pvp with less stats and more powers, you concluded that the test was “an utter fiasco” (you). In my middle school, science class, I was told to always do more than one experiment for better results. You only did one. Look sweety, one doesn’t simply win a pvp match, especially if you stay so “observant” (you). And not saying you have no *skill,* you basically tested your theory once and startedboasting about your defeat here. This is probably what you thought in your head:
Problem: more powers or better stats
Question: Are more powers better that improved stats?
Hypothesis: If I use gear with more powers, I will win
Experiment: get into a match only once
Results: I lost, therefore more powers aren’t the best way to go in pvp

Question: Have you ever acknowledged the fact that maybe it isn’t the gear choices, but the way you play? Have you also acknowledged the fact that some people have more pvp experience than others?

Good luck on your next experiment.

Petty Officer
Jan 03, 2010
Us "pvp experts" aren't the ones with the problem. We all think the same because we've all found success in the "same strategy" and gear that we've been suggesting to you. We aren't pigeonholed to the same setup because we lack creativity, it's because other sets of gear simply do not provide the same results.

If you haven't noticed by now, not a single other person has agreed with any of your recent rants. You've been given advice and offered help on numerous occasions but you continue to make excuses about why you're having trouble when really the only reason for that is your inability to adapt.

Contrary to what you may think, most of us that have been giving you suggestions haven't even touched a central tournament before, myself being the only exception. The only 3 notable things not allowed in central tournaments are second wind, trees, and old scratch's bigger mojo buffs, none of which one wouldn't be able to win without.

I heard about your recent match with Rob and of the many mistakes that you made, such as using Toro's buff while still on the opposite side of the board and attacking Temujin without a shield on. If you're making plays like this on the regular then you're focusing on the wrong thing, the issue isn't as much with your gear as it is with your playstyle.

"What PvP should be about" and your inability to grasp the concept of why you're losing are 2 separate topics, you can't mesh them together an expect to get the same points across. You're making it seem like us PvP folk are the bad guys for using gear/strategies that help us win.

Which is genuinely which is your bigger concern, winning or creativity? I completely agree on the point that it stinks that a single staple setup (with slight variations) for each class is a necessity if you want consistent wins but unfortunately you can't have the best of both worlds.

Ensign
Aug 20, 2010
"Are you truly insensible or endeavoring to get to the spotlight"- that is the main think at any point came to my mind each time I read your post. Much obliged to you, at long last somebody's post truly made me to answer.

Above all else in the last post you grumbled about your own particular creative stat based setup and individuals (PVP experts) gave you advise, now when you failed to endeavor utilizing the setup which is for the most part utilized by others and most succeed, again you begin whining. I think its time to utilize your little possess good judgment to find out where is the actual lack, the need is in your own particular play style not in your gear setup.

On the off chance that you think you are imaginative, you are most welcome with your new strategies, however don't toss something that never worked either for you. The people groups were giving suggestions here, they are experienced and they have increased much achievement utilizing those setup.

Ensign
Jun 12, 2012
Last time we've mentioned that people use Power-based gear because they're more reliable and is more likely to win over Stat-based gear.

However, that is only half of the story.

As you have proved. The other half relies on the player's skill and ability to use those powers. I've heard about the match with Rob in which you went straight to Temujin without any protection yourself. That is a fatal flaw as Swashbuckler are a very offensive class, and dodge couldn't have helped if Temujin did critical on you.

The fact that you have only tested the gear once (as far as we know, there might be others earlier) and gave up right away shows your skill as a player overall. The fact that you didn't even try to see where you went wrong as a buckler and adapt to your gear's usage instead of going all out as if you were still Stat-based, and instead go to complain that the PvP experts are wrong because they all think the same way, shows a lack of sportsmanship and an inability to ask for help.

The reason why the experts rely on a setup (with slight variations here and there) is that it is the only setup known to give reliable and the best results. There are people out there who do a lot of gear/setup experimentation. However, it always comes to what actually gives the best result.

There are some gear/setups that might work better in some situations, but usually they play a specific role. If they don't work in most other situations then it isn't considered a good setup. in Ranked you cannot tell against which class you're going against. The best setups are the ones that can go against all classes and give a good chance of winning.

You cannot always go to be creative when in Ranked all that matters is winning. Sure, you could try some gear to put the opponent off-guard. However, Pirate lacks good options when it comes to gear. Being creative doesn't matter if there's a lack of options that can go against the meta.

Ensign
Jun 12, 2012
Continued from my previous post...

Pokemon, for example, has over 800 Pokemon in Gen VII to choose from. This gives virtually infinite possibilities and room for being creative with your team and catch your opponents off-guard with a Pokemon that isn't common with the meta. Pachirisu back in VGC 2014 was among the most unexpected choices. However, the reason it worked is that it played a very specific role to the team, filling a niche that the team needed and it won.

Now, that applies to recent Gens. Back in Gen I, you couldn't afford to be creative. There were only 7/8 Pokemon out of 151 that were considered deadly staples to the meta. Gen I had a very limiting metagame due its quirks in the mechanics that allow these Pokemon to thrive. And if you didn't have at least one of these Pokemon, your team was bound to lose thanks to advantage these Pokemon have thanks the mechanics.

This is where Pirate lies in right now. The setups are the staples of the metagame. While the mechanics aren't as troublesome as Gen I's metagame, Pirate still has very limiting choices that currently there's no reliable way to counter these staples outside of RNG luck. And RNG is not something you want rely on.

The fact that you rely on RNG because that's what your stats rely on (particularly Dodge and Critical) shows a very risky playstyle that relies on luck rather than your own skill as a player. This is ultimately your downfall. Instead of blaming on the experts from being very limiting, you have to consider why it is this way. It's not a matter of creativity. It's a matter of choices given to the players. If only one set reliably works, then you have no choice but to conform to that choice until someone discovers a way to reliably counter for all classes.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
DeDuncanStuff on Nov 26, 2017 wrote:
Hello, Ducky here.

First off, I will say that I basically have 6 max pirates, one of each class. I will also say that I rarely pvp because I have this inner thought on whether or not I’m good enough. I don’t practice often so I am not improving as much as I would like to. I’m the type of dude who tries to look tough, gear wise so yes, I do follow the latest gear trend. I usually hide in the tent and work on pets. Call me a pet n00b. Now You know my reputation.

Now, let me get to my point. After your very first experiment in trying to pvp with less stats and more powers, you concluded that the test was “an utter fiasco” (you). In my middle school, science class, I was told to always do more than one experiment for better results. You only did one. Look sweety, one doesn’t simply win a pvp match, especially if you stay so “observant” (you). And not saying you have no *skill,* you basically tested your theory once and startedboasting about your defeat here. This is probably what you thought in your head:
Problem: more powers or better stats
Question: Are more powers better that improved stats?
Hypothesis: If I use gear with more powers, I will win
Experiment: get into a match only once
Results: I lost, therefore more powers aren’t the best way to go in pvp

Question: Have you ever acknowledged the fact that maybe it isn’t the gear choices, but the way you play? Have you also acknowledged the fact that some people have more pvp experience than others?

Good luck on your next experiment.
You have very good points, But look here "sweety", don't talk down to people if you want to win them over.
On the flip side of the experiment: I have won bouts with using stats. ( Apparently I have more experience than you in PVP ), however I'm always open to hearing other view points.
If you read my post, I said "contributed" not "caused" my defeat. There were other factors in play, among them powers not showing up when I needed them to.
It doesn't matter how strong or game changing a power card is; if it's not there when I need it, it's the same as not having it at all.
Whereas, my stats and talent attacks are there 100% of the time - it doesn't need much more thinking to see that.
I was also told that one failed experiment cancels out dozens of successes.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
I expect negative responses to anything PVP related when anyone steps out of the locked mind set of the PVP-ers.
I've faced up to controversy before and I lived through it. It's not "ranting" when you state something strongly and back it up with personal experiences. Nor do I need a "spotlight" to enhance my so-called reputation.
Back when everyone was truly ranking about Black Fog and how impossible & OP it was; I was the one to step in and defend it, ( in the post: A Frank Discussion on Hide ), even Buckler PVP-ers were against this power, almost everyone wanted it banned or nerfed. Black Fog is now a mote point in PVP, no one believes it's OP anymore, this proves to me that all of you may just be wrong on this issue as well.

Admiral
Oct 27, 2009
Anecorbie, I've been following this thread from the first post, and I have to wonder, when you first posted, were you intending to aim the sparkshooter at the powder barrel? I read that and thought, "Whooh, that will draw some flaming responses."
As an impartial bystander on the subject of PVP, I have an observation and suggestion. I have seen many people who think there's only one way to approach a fight, even to the point of bossing others in how they should play their own pirate. I've also seen, and been one of the pirates, whose approach is non standard and yet highly effective. I've seen Annecorbie play, and read many of her comments and suggestions, enough to feel comfortable in thinking she is one who likes to mix things up and not play everything the same way all the time, yet is still a very skilled and effective pirate. My suggestion is that the commentators try swapping styles and give them a good try. Anecorbie can give the ranked gear a bunch more tries. Those who who think her approach is wrong can give her stat based style a sincere effort, perhaps on a swashbuckler. I think both sides might have something to learn from each other, if you try walking in each other's shoes. If nothing else, it gives you a new kind of challenge to try.

Petty Officer
Jan 03, 2010
anecorbie on Nov 26, 2017 wrote:
I expect negative responses to anything PVP related when anyone steps out of the locked mind set of the PVP-ers.
I've faced up to controversy before and I lived through it. It's not "ranting" when you state something strongly and back it up with personal experiences. Nor do I need a "spotlight" to enhance my so-called reputation.
Back when everyone was truly ranking about Black Fog and how impossible & OP it was; I was the one to step in and defend it, ( in the post: A Frank Discussion on Hide ), even Buckler PVP-ers were against this power, almost everyone wanted it banned or nerfed. Black Fog is now a mote point in PVP, no one believes it's OP anymore, this proves to me that all of you may just be wrong on this issue as well.
"Controversy" isn't the same as being objectively wrong, and yes, it is ranting when you've been given everything you need to deal with your problems but refuse to give it a fair chance. You weren't alone in defending Black Fog from the beginning, mind you.

It's baffling to me that you can be given so much help and yet remain so adamant about us being wrong. The only locked mind set here is yours because you're continuing to push away things that can genuinely help you. As far as I'm concerned you don't even really want to become a better player.

The "one failed experiment cancels out dozens of previous successes" bit you mentioned is terrible advice to use in PvP. Also, you can adjust your playstyle so that you don't have to condition yourself to using a power on a single specific turn. It's not as good as not being there at all, it just means that there are indeed things you need to work on. A power not showing when one ideally would need it isn't an uncommon thing, people have learned how to improvise. Stop pointing fingers for your own shortcomings.

But anyways like I said, it doesn't sound to me like you're looking for help so I'll just let my consistent results speak for themselves.

Captain
Jun 10, 2013
anecorbie on Nov 26, 2017 wrote:
You forgot the fact I believe Black Fog should be edited so all spell attacks work on it. This would provide a reliable way to use Blast of Discord and might also help Witchdoctors.

Commodore
Feb 02, 2013
We've been given more tools to counter black fog that is why there no discussion for it anymore, and it would seem you refuse to acknowledge again that you are at fault here not the power set up, power set ups undeniably have more power, to prove it I will 1v1 you 100 times with my power set up and just 1 companion vs your entire 4 man team using stat gear

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
RRRRZZZZ419 on Nov 27, 2017 wrote:
You forgot the fact I believe Black Fog should be edited so all spell attacks work on it. This would provide a reliable way to use Blast of Discord and might also help Witchdoctors.
I answered you on that in the other post, Blast of Discord works on Black Fog because it's not a magic spell ( nothing at all like Charm ) and it's an AoE.
Witchdoctors have no problem with Mojo strikes or Jobu's Embrace on Black Fog because they are AoE attacks.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
zuto4011a on Nov 27, 2017 wrote:
We've been given more tools to counter black fog that is why there no discussion for it anymore, and it would seem you refuse to acknowledge again that you are at fault here not the power set up, power set ups undeniably have more power, to prove it I will 1v1 you 100 times with my power set up and just 1 companion vs your entire 4 man team using stat gear
Robert, for the sake of our friendship, I'm willing to try once more. Just give me time to cool down. I'm taking a hiatus from P101 and try to get my wizard through Empyrea. You don't need to tie an arm behind your back & hop on one foot ( metaphorically speaking ) for a bout with me.
Besides, I think you would win and how embarrassing would that be?

First Mate
Dec 29, 2012
A great strategy is not using gear at all. It unlocks inner "secret" talents that many don't know about.

Please let me know when you enter the arena with my suggested strategy.

Commodore
Feb 02, 2013
anecorbie on Nov 28, 2017 wrote:
Robert, for the sake of our friendship, I'm willing to try once more. Just give me time to cool down. I'm taking a hiatus from P101 and try to get my wizard through Empyrea. You don't need to tie an arm behind your back & hop on one foot ( metaphorically speaking ) for a bout with me.
Besides, I think you would win and how embarrassing would that be?
Wouldn't be the most embarrasing, I once had to kill a buck and his team all in green with just my pirate

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Oran from Urz on Nov 28, 2017 wrote:
A great strategy is not using gear at all. It unlocks inner "secret" talents that many don't know about.

Please let me know when you enter the arena with my suggested strategy.

Heh, funny. I believe I once floated an idea for a "bare-bones" tournament. Unequip everything, even the pet and use the class specific weapon that can be bought from Jolly Roger in Avery's Court, and use only what you've trained.
Wouldn't that be interesting?

Captain
Jun 10, 2013
anecorbie on Nov 29, 2017 wrote:
Heh, funny. I believe I once floated an idea for a "bare-bones" tournament. Unequip everything, even the pet and use the class specific weapon that can be bought from Jolly Roger in Avery's Court, and use only what you've trained.
Wouldn't that be interesting?
If that weapon only costs gold, I think I'd been on for that tournament.

Ensign
Jul 13, 2016
I think everyone understands what you’re trying to accomplish with stat based gear, it just doesn’t work against experienced players. I tried several different gear sets with mixed results. Finally I settled on the standard ranked gear set for bucklers and with a lot more practice I found decent success. I rarely touch my gear other than weapon and which pet I equip.

Some of the others that have commented are some of the best and most pleasant players in the pvp community. I suggest you go farm the gear that you need and practice. You will find success, hopefully sooner rather than later. Good luck.