Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Numbers don't lie: A badge rant for KI

AuthorMessage
Bosun
Dec 28, 2012
Dear Kingsisle,

I am here to show how stupidly absurd doing 10,000 team ups for a badge is. I'm not going to tell you why this is stupid because in all honesty, numbers speak for themselves. (Math, woo)

So, finding a team up group and defeating finn in the throne room takes about 3 minutes (and thats being generous) which will be the basis for my math. In order to get the final badge, you need to do team up 10000 times.

3 x 10000 = 30000

This needs to be converted to hours

30000/60 = 500

Which then needs to be converted to days

500/24 = 20.8333 repeating

I'll factor in the fact that the average person spends 1/3 of their day asleep

20.8333 repeating (1 1/3) = About 28 days

Now, look me in the eye and tell me you want to spend every waking hour for a month straight doing nothing but clicking team up on the throne room. You don't want to? That's what I thought.

This badge is absurd! NO ONE wants to spend an entire month doing the same thing over and over again with absolutely no challenge presented to them throughout the entire time. 100 Kane runs is excusable because Kane actually requires you to think, but this badge is just stupid. There is a difference between challenging the player and shamelessly padding out playtime.

So how can this be fixed? Well, here is my solution.

Badge 1: Complete 10 team ups
Badge 2: Complete 50 team ups
Badge 3: Complete 100 team ups
Badge 4: Complete 500 team ups
Badge 5: Complete 1000 team ups

This way, the badge still takes time, but the time spent is much more reasonable than what is was before.

Putting statistics aside, I personally will not be touching team up again for badge grinding purposes until something is changed.

See you in the spiral,
Alex the Pirate

Community Leader
Psst, buddy, this isn't supposed to be a badge you farm out in a few days (however, there is a quicker and more efficient way that can get it done in a few days of work)

Writer, Editor, Administrator, and Pirate PvP guy at FinalBastion

Check us out for all things Pirate101 and Wizard101 PvE/PvP

Ensign
May 30, 2009
Alex the Pirate on Oct 7, 2017 wrote:
Dear Kingsisle,

I am here to show how stupidly absurd doing 10,000 team ups for a badge is. I'm not going to tell you why this is stupid because in all honesty, numbers speak for themselves. (Math, woo)

So, finding a team up group and defeating finn in the throne room takes about 3 minutes (and thats being generous) which will be the basis for my math. In order to get the final badge, you need to do team up 10000 times.

3 x 10000 = 30000

30000/60 = 500

Now, look me in the eye and tell me you want to spend every waking hour for a month straight doing nothing but clicking team up on the throne room. You don't want to? That's what I thought.

This badge is absurd! NO ONE wants to spend an entire month doing the same thing over and over again with absolutely no challenge presented to them throughout the entire time. 100 Kane runs is excusable because Kane actually requires you to think, but this badge is just stupid. There is a difference between challenging the player and shamelessly padding out playtime.

This way, the badge still takes time, but the time spent is much more reasonable than what is was before.

Putting statistics aside, I personally will not be touching team up again for badge grinding purposes until something is changed.

See you in the spiral,
Alex the Pirate
The final badge Isn't from 10,000. Final Badge is from 2,000.

Here's the count of the badges so far:

Team Player: Help players using the Team Up Ledger 100 times
Team Leader: Help players using the Team Up Ledger 500 times
Team Manager: Help players using the Team Up Ledger 1,000 times
Team Champion: Help players using the Team Up Ledger 2,000 times with a reward, Team Up Angel Badge effect which puts a Halo on your Pirate Character's head

If you go for the badge on 3 of your characters that's actually 6,000 times.

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
I don't think anyone should intend to get these badges all in one go. We need to be in it for the long haul. Thinking like this is unhealthy.

Admiral
Oct 27, 2009
Ah, but what if you spread it out over a year? Grind for 12 days a month, and you have it, or spread it out more, doing some every day. It seems a crazy amount because your time period is too short. This was not a badge designed to be won in a month, but as a long term goal. Personally, I'm in the game for fun and when it starts seeming like work, it's time for a break.
For impressive looks fast, I think that's what the packs are for. Meanwhile, it gives those who are in a big hurry something to work on, while KI gets breathing room to make new content. In a way, it's a shame that the cat is out of the bag on the prize for that badge. Imagine the surprise of someone who hadn't heard about it and in a year or so equips their new badge and goes, "Wow!" Also, if you were a new pirate just starting out and playing the entire game, just in the course of playing, you might earn it before finishing the game content, if you like using team up to help people. I know, it depends on your play style and some people have greater need for haste, but it is possible.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Matthew525011 on Oct 8, 2017 wrote:
Psst, buddy, this isn't supposed to be a badge you farm out in a few days (however, there is a quicker and more efficient way that can get it done in a few days of work)
You could hardly call that exploit "work".

Bosun
Dec 28, 2012
Alex the Pirate on Oct 7, 2017 wrote:
Dear Kingsisle,

3 x 10000 = 30000

30000/60 = 500

See you in the spiral,
Alex the Pirate
I have now realized thanks to piratey logan that the 10000 number is misinformation. I should have double-checked this and I am sorry. Because of this, the math and thus the entire post is irrelevant. I am sorry.

Bosun
Apr 09, 2014
Alex the Pirate on Oct 9, 2017 wrote:
I have now realized thanks to piratey logan that the 10000 number is misinformation. I should have double-checked this and I am sorry. Because of this, the math and thus the entire post is irrelevant. I am sorry.
You know I might just put in a 10k one just for you.
Then you don't have to rework any of the math :P

Commodore
Feb 02, 2013
Decius Duelmaster on Oct 9, 2017 wrote:
You know I might just put in a 10k one just for you.
Then you don't have to rework any of the math :P
give it your best shot, i'll have it done in a week

Captain
Apr 24, 2016
zuto4011a on Oct 14, 2017 wrote:
give it your best shot, i'll have it done in a week
*slaps gently* oh hush. i finished krokotopia in one day in w101. but i was already a little bit under halfway through! AND i had zeus gear, and i was level 30, but anyways. i doubt you could get it finished in a week, two weeks, minimum.

Commodore
Feb 02, 2013
thedragonpirate245... on Oct 15, 2017 wrote:
*slaps gently* oh hush. i finished krokotopia in one day in w101. but i was already a little bit under halfway through! AND i had zeus gear, and i was level 30, but anyways. i doubt you could get it finished in a week, two weeks, minimum.
i dont play wiz anymore so i would never get krokotopia done, so i guess your right

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
thedragonpirate245... on Oct 15, 2017 wrote:
He's a Throne Room & Banquet Hall spammer, still, I think he's an ok guy.

Lieutenant
Sep 17, 2012
Decius you would just be cruel if you did that lol.

Captain
Sep 19, 2012
bring it on Decius lol

and yes lets have fun supporting nooblets and meeting new farming friends please? is it just there is so much hunger for crazy elite awesome stuff that we become ravenous sharks? do it for the fun, do it for matyrship, do it for new friendships, easy quick gold, do it for relaxation.. hate it that anyone would make this into a stressful situation :/

stormy jen silver