Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

How to get more players to pirate101

AuthorMessage
Petty Officer
Mar 10, 2015
this idea may seem far fetched to most people but bare this in mind. Create a pirate101 movie for the large screen. This has been used by insomniac, WoW, Assassins creed and other games to bring back players when they had a hard time with members. The story could be like the original game just condensed. The movie would be drawn and would be easy to make. It would easy bring a ton of people.

Captain
Jan 17, 2012
It might work, but, the cost...

Bosun
Apr 19, 2012
Lukeskywalker1313 on May 22, 2017 wrote:
this idea may seem far fetched to most people but bare this in mind. Create a pirate101 movie for the large screen. This has been used by insomniac, WoW, Assassins creed and other games to bring back players when they had a hard time with members. The story could be like the original game just condensed. The movie would be drawn and would be easy to make. It would easy bring a ton of people.
I think that's a great idea. I know KingsIsle certainly has the talent. Besides, the script is already written. Just take the storyline that we've all played through and...BAM!...you got yourself a movie.

Ensign
Jun 26, 2009
While I wouldn't mind a Pirate/Wiz101 movie, I think that making a movie for the big screen might be a bit cost prohibitive.

The Warcraft movie budget was $160 Million. If not for the overseas sales it would have been a huge flop.
Assassin's Creed's budget was $120 Million. Both these movies barely made their money back. Not saying that much would have to be invested in a movie (There are a lot of gems out there that cost way less), but that's a monumental undertaking and we can barely get updates. Big screen might be a bit out of reach.

However there are some less costly but effective ways to draw in more players that other games have done.

Books/paperbacks - Lots of developers use this to draw in a different audience who might not even be into their game. It's also a great way to expand on the lore in the game, give more insight into characters we come across in the game.

Webisodes - Great way to start some buzz. Does the same as books but now you can add visuals to your stories.

Good old fashioned commercials.

Produce more content.

Kingsisle cannot rely solely on players to draw in other players. If that's the case we are in the end times. Pirates Repent!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
WoW and Assassin's Creed tanked at the box office.

Ensign
Sep 16, 2012
anecorbie on May 23, 2017 wrote:
He's right. WoW and Assassin's creed where bad at the box office

Ensign
Jan 26, 2017
anecorbie on May 23, 2017 wrote:
Well, wouldn't say it tanked but AC made something over 60mil$ plus. That's not that much for a movie that was so eagerly expected (and failed to deliver). Budget was 125mil, income was 185mil.
But that's not the point. Point is that P101 does need more commercials, and above all more content. I know KI is concentrating on mobile games more than on online gaming (besides w101 which seems to be going rather well). And i know that there's more wiz players than pirates, but any revenue is better than none. More players in pirate community might live up things a bit, and get that ship sailing once again.

Captain
Dec 06, 2012
Although I fully support a movie, something tells me it should be a cartoon. I don't know... It just feels like something in my head tells me it would be better as one. Either one is fine by me, but hey, it's not my choice.

Captain
Jan 17, 2012
MusketQuinn on May 24, 2017 wrote:
Well, wouldn't say it tanked but AC made something over 60mil$ plus. That's not that much for a movie that was so eagerly expected (and failed to deliver). Budget was 125mil, income was 185mil.
But that's not the point. Point is that P101 does need more commercials, and above all more content. I know KI is concentrating on mobile games more than on online gaming (besides w101 which seems to be going rather well). And i know that there's more wiz players than pirates, but any revenue is better than none. More players in pirate community might live up things a bit, and get that ship sailing once again.
Here's the other problem: To make a decent movie, you need a decent script, which could take a year to complete. You then need the voices recorded, and even if you use the voiced that KI used, that still takes time. You then have to do the animation (CGI, 2D, stop action) and that also takes time. From start to finish it takes about two years to do.

Pirate101 opened in 2012. It is 2017 and we are wondering how to get more players. Will the game be able to stand another two years in order to make the movie, AND, will the movie do the trick?

The answer to both MUST be yes before you proceed.

Ensign
Jun 09, 2016
I don't think a video game movie will ever be able to do well under any circumstance. Besides, game developers aren't filmmakers. It's throwing money at a wall, hoping the wall will grow arms and give you something in return. In other words: Not gonna happen.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Also, the pirate101 movie would be going in direct compettion with Disney's super PotC franchise - P101 wouldn't have a chance!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Mr Talon on May 23, 2017 wrote:
While I wouldn't mind a Pirate/Wiz101 movie, I think that making a movie for the big screen might be a bit cost prohibitive.

The Warcraft movie budget was $160 Million. If not for the overseas sales it would have been a huge flop.
Assassin's Creed's budget was $120 Million. Both these movies barely made their money back. Not saying that much would have to be invested in a movie (There are a lot of gems out there that cost way less), but that's a monumental undertaking and we can barely get updates. Big screen might be a bit out of reach.

However there are some less costly but effective ways to draw in more players that other games have done.

Books/paperbacks - Lots of developers use this to draw in a different audience who might not even be into their game. It's also a great way to expand on the lore in the game, give more insight into characters we come across in the game.

Webisodes - Great way to start some buzz. Does the same as books but now you can add visuals to your stories.

Produce more content.

Kingsisle cannot rely solely on players to draw in other players. If that's the case we are in the end times. Pirates Repent!
Books and paperbacks would be the better idea; a graphic novel depicting the events that lead up to the young, orphan pirate being rescued would allow interest in the game without concentrating on one specific class of pirate from the game.

Petty Officer
Mar 10, 2015
A novel or comic would not work. You have to realize people don't read anymore. I hate reading and so do most of the people of my generation. Between school forced to read, and life, people no longer read. And it's a good thinking, writing, reading is a dead art.

Ensign
Jun 09, 2016
Lukeskywalker1313 on May 27, 2017 wrote:
A novel or comic would not work. You have to realize people don't read anymore. I hate reading and so do most of the people of my generation. Between school forced to read, and life, people no longer read. And it's a good thinking, writing, reading is a dead art.
And you "have to realize" that you're not speaking for everyone. Reading is still quite popular and a book is far better than a film in this regard, for King's Isle neither has the money nor crew to make a feature-length film. A game is one thing, but movies are far, far more expensive.

Ensign
Jun 09, 2016
Just a side note, writing is a dead art? I'm sorry, but I can't respect that; it's just simply wrong. Everything is in written form at one point or another - not on paper necessarily, but still written. Technology hasn't advanced enough to the point where writing is simply not needed. Every film, television program and game with a basic plot has a writing team. There are no exceptions, and Pirate101 itself has a plot that was in written form at one point. Every Marvel, Pixar and Universal film has had a writing team. Every game nowadays has to have a grand, epic story. Every TV show has to have you on the edge of your seat to keep you watching. Sorry if I sound snarky, but once again, I don't just disagree with you here. I think you're wrong. Reading being a dead art I can see as an opinion, but writing will never be dead.

Lieutenant
Mar 23, 2012
It truly makes me sad to hear that a major form of communication and self expression can be considered a 'dead art' by anyone.

I on the other hand have proudly bought novels and comics in the past from video game franchises (particularly the gears franchise, so good :D) and could see myself doing so for P101 assuming the synopsis promises to add to the lore of the spiral (from the pirates' perspective.)

Stories could cover topics such as the adventures of Erica the red, the rise of the Frogfather, the corruption of Ch'ok Ak'ab, blind mew: the early years, or the voyages of Marco Polo (just brainstorming after midnight at this point.) Heck, I'd actually be genuinely excited if the original Valencia part 2 storyline in all of its 5 book glory was released as a hardback novel.

Lieutenant
Nov 05, 2011
Mr Talon on May 23, 2017 wrote:

Produce more content.

Totally agreed!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
You hate reading because you were forced to read something you didn't like. If you had had the option to read something that appealed to you, I'm sure you would read it and enjoy it.
People read, they read all the time. Writing isn't a dead art; it's a living, breathing art - so many movies that are known and loved had their generation from a book ( or even a comic book ).
And the simple fact that you've written a post and are reading our replies shows that writing ( as a communication skill ) isn't dead - and for that you should thank your teachers!

Captain
Dec 06, 2012
It's good to see I am not anyone of this time who doesn't like reading

Petty Officer
Dec 31, 2009
Some simple advertising could help, I mean when was the last time you saw a pirate101 or even wizard101 commercial?

I am really confused as to why they don't do these anymore. It really is a shame how they have let Pirate101 die a slow death, it really has so much potential and is much more enjoyable than wizard101 in my opinion.

Commodore
Sep 20, 2009
Jasmine3429 on May 29, 2017 wrote:
Some simple advertising could help, I mean when was the last time you saw a pirate101 or even wizard101 commercial?

I am really confused as to why they don't do these anymore. It really is a shame how they have let Pirate101 die a slow death, it really has so much potential and is much more enjoyable than wizard101 in my opinion.
I agree entirely.
It seems almost like KI is trying to put the pressure of bringing in new players on us. Word of mouth advertising does work, but it shouldn't be KI's only advertising plan. If they really want more players to join, then they need to increase their advertising. And they also need to give us a reason to talk about the game and bring new people in. KI needs to be more regular on updates, not necessarily big world updates, but more, smaller side content updates.

Captain
Jan 17, 2012
Oh, boy did YOU open a can of worms. If I didn't know better, I'd have thought you were trolling us.

You are right, though, that a lot of people don't read anymore. I shows very clearly in some of the horrible spelling that show up online. No capitals, no punctuation, using abbreviations like "u" and "r" when it isn't Twitter being just two examples.

What is worse, though, is the arrogant attitude shown by these people when you correct them. "This isn't spelling class!" Yeah, dude, this is an open forum and everything thinks you're an idiot now, because you don't know how to spell.

As far as advertising goes, that only comes with a bigger budget. I suspect that P101s budget is about equal to its revenue, which is likely just enough to keep the game running. This is evidenced by the lack of any advertising surrounding the release of Pirates of the Caribbean. While the movie has not done much (very little of the movies released this year are doing much) it would still have been a shot in the arm. The fact that they did not take advantage of the interest shows that they just did not have the bucks to do it.

Seriously, I doubt that any of the suggestions given have not been thought of by the KI crew. They just don't have the bucks to do it with.

And I fully expect to get responses that they should shovel the profits from W101 into P101. Yeah, that reminiscent of the calls for Disney to take the profits from other ventures and shovel it into Toontown. It shows a real lack of business sense and economics.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Max DeGroot on May 31, 2017 wrote:
Oh, boy did YOU open a can of worms. If I didn't know better, I'd have thought you were trolling us.

You are right, though, that a lot of people don't read anymore. I shows very clearly in some of the horrible spelling that show up online. No capitals, no punctuation, using abbreviations like "u" and "r" when it isn't Twitter being just two examples.

What is worse, though, is the arrogant attitude shown by these people when you correct them. "This isn't spelling class!" Yeah, dude, this is an open forum and everything thinks you're an idiot now, because you don't know how to spell.

As far as advertising goes, that only comes with a bigger budget. I suspect that P101s budget is about equal to its revenue, which is likely just enough to keep the game running. This is evidenced by the lack of any advertising surrounding the release of Pirates of the Caribbean. While the movie has not done much (very little of the movies released this year are doing much) it would still have been a shot in the arm. The fact that they did not take advantage of the interest shows that they just did not have the bucks to do it.

Seriously, I doubt that any of the suggestions given have not been thought of by the KI crew. They just don't have the bucks to do it with.

And I fully expect to get responses that they should shovel the profits from W101 into P101. Yeah, that reminiscent of the calls for Disney to take the profits from other ventures and shovel it into Toontown. It shows a real lack of business sense and economics.
Max, before you correct someone's spelling and grammar, I think you should look at your second and third paragraphs and do some editing.

However, I agree with your assessment about lack of advertising and profits. If KI doesn't say or do something soon, any progress that we players have made to bumping their numbers will just fade away.
Too little, too late.....
X sigh x

Ensign
Jun 26, 2009
Max DeGroot on May 31, 2017 wrote:

"And I fully expect to get responses that they should shovel the profits from W101 into P101."

I find that interesting. Isn't that what they've done to fund their mobile games? Take profits from wizard and pirate? I mean unless they took out loans to fund a new division(mobile gaming) which is entirely possible, then the only place they could get the money is from siphoning off profits from the first games in the franchise.

This is what it feels like, and of course I can't say that definitively, but when you combine your teams so they now have to produce two games when they were each doing one. Then lay off, how many was it? like 50+ people. Then start churning out mobile games but your existing profitable properties start dropping in content output.

They have the money, but making really bad spending decisions. This loyal fan base wont stay loyal forever when you continue to ignore them.

Admiral
Jul 07, 2013
My question is if there was a movie, who would play me?

Virtuous Dante Ramsey