Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Cheap Shot & Coward's Bane

AuthorMessage
Petty Officer
May 25, 2012
I recently tinkered around with my privateer's practice points. I use a staffy/slashy weapon and trained in Repel Boarders 2, Readied Spell 2, Cheap Shot 2, and Coward's Bane 2. When an enemy approaches, Repel Boarders activates and then Readied Spell - always in that order and that's what I wanted to happen. However, when an enemy disengages Cheap Shot will go off, but not Coward's Bane. Anyone have any insight as to why Cheap Shot and Coward's Bane won't both activate on the same condition, but Repel Boarders and Readied Spell do?

Thanks much!

Canny Matthew Tolliver
Able Caleb Tolliver
Dark Dante Tolliver

Ensign
Jun 14, 2013
Canny Matthew Toll... on May 7, 2017 wrote:
I recently tinkered around with my privateer's practice points. I use a staffy/slashy weapon and trained in Repel Boarders 2, Readied Spell 2, Cheap Shot 2, and Coward's Bane 2. When an enemy approaches, Repel Boarders activates and then Readied Spell - always in that order and that's what I wanted to happen. However, when an enemy disengages Cheap Shot will go off, but not Coward's Bane. Anyone have any insight as to why Cheap Shot and Coward's Bane won't both activate on the same condition, but Repel Boarders and Readied Spell do?

Thanks much!

Canny Matthew Tolliver
Able Caleb Tolliver
Dark Dante Tolliver
Probably because Readied Spell range is adjusted with your max range as well. So since your using a melee weapon, your max range will be equal to 1, causing Readied Spell to activate alongside Repel Border.

However Coward's Bane doesn't work the same way. It's range will always be 2 making it an impossible epic for melee units.

Sorry about the wasted practice points

Captain
Jan 17, 2012
If he had a staffy weapon which could be used for both bashing and casting, it might work...

Petty Officer
May 25, 2012
Thank you Joseph. I wasn't aware of that underlying range on Coward's Bane. Much appreciated!

Gunner's Mate
Jan 27, 2011
Max DeGroot on May 8, 2017 wrote:
If he had a staffy weapon which could be used for both bashing and casting, it might work...
That would fall under Smashy/Staffy and even then Coward's Bane is an obsolete Talent. I personally find it pointless, never spec'd it and never will. But for those who DO want to run Coward's Bane, it'd probably be best on a Musketeer with Overwatch 5. The knockback would trigger Coward's bane (unless Coward's Bane has a larger radius than Overwatch, which in that case I wasn't aware of) and since the Musket would also have to be running Staffy (essentially Shooty/Staffy), Readied Spell would also be a wise choice; essentially punishing the first 3 enemies to come into range 3-times over. Lets not forget Double Tap and possible Crits as well.

Like someone else already said: Coward's Bane just isn't plausible or viable on any Melee unit. I used to run Staffy/Slashy on my Witch, but recently swapped to Staffy/Shooty so as to best utilize Readied Spell, Overwatch, Mojo Echo and Burst Fire. Privy, which is the OP's class, would benefit most from Smashy, since the Bucc line has more defensive Buffs that are right up Privy's alley.

Just my input/experiences.