Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Let's Look at Boss Drops

AuthorMessage
Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
This is an attempt to throw light on the murky subject of why you get a boss drop or not. But first let's clear your mind of myths and superstitions.
Repeat after me:
"Doubloons have no affect on boss drops." Very good, now spread the word. See post: "is this true".
"Pet snacks have their own separate table" Very good, spread the word. See post "horrible boss rewards".
The number of pirates in a dungeon also has no effect on boss drops, there is never more than one boss in a dungeon ( The Tower of Moo Manchu is atypical. ) Only the number of minions increase per pirate in the battle.
Now to come to why a boss drops what you want:
Typically a boss drops 1 - 2 items & they are usually named after the boss ( ex. Finn's Cutters )
An atypical boss has a complete outfit including weapon/s, sometimes an accessory.
Examples of these are the Duck of Death, Captain Blood, Captain Swing & Faye of the Nefarious Five.
The more stuff a boss has, the less likely you'll get a desired item. ( I know, it seems counterintuitive, but consider that you want one item from a long list of items + the stuff that is also included on the loot table. )
So the smaller the table, the more likely you'll get an item. That's why bosses with a small table are easier to farm. ( Ex. Cadmus and the Blades of Shade. )
Looking at the Nefarious Five, we see that of those 5 only Josef & Ben have one drop, therefore their drops are the most common in the Tower ( speaking from personal experience, if your experience is different, I apologize. )
Moo Manchu is also an atypical boss. He drops a complete outfit and a weapon for each class, this the includes the stuff most players term "junk". He also drops mounts and pets.
Kane, on the other hand has only one item named for him, yet he also drops complete outfits ( carded gear for all classes ) plus accessories, plus mounts and a pet.
I'm not at all surprised that his Mask is a very rare drop, looking at everything he has to give. ( Probably the most generous boss of the game. )
So the best way to get that most desirable boss drop is farming. The more often you go into a dungeon the higher your chances of receiving that desirable drop becomes.
But DON"T over-do it, it's bad for your health. Just a few runs a day. For long dungeons like Moo Manchu I really recommend only one run.

Community Leader
I agree with most of this post. However, the statement regarding the number of pirates needs to be elaborated upon. The multiplayer lock chests CAN hold, and oftentimes does hold, rare loot. When farming for certain items, farming in a group of at least two is better than solo farming, since you are given the multi-lock chest. You are correct, the extra minions don't have the drops you'll desire, but multi lock chests often do.

Writer, Editor, Administrator, and Pirate PvP guy at FinalBastion

Check us out for all things Pirate101 and Wizard101 PvE/PvP

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Matthew525011 on Apr 20, 2017 wrote:
I agree with most of this post. However, the statement regarding the number of pirates needs to be elaborated upon. The multiplayer lock chests CAN hold, and oftentimes does hold, rare loot. When farming for certain items, farming in a group of at least two is better than solo farming, since you are given the multi-lock chest. You are correct, the extra minions don't have the drops you'll desire, but multi lock chests often do.
Yes, I forgot to take into account the Group Plunder Chests. Good points there.

Admiral
Jul 07, 2013
anecorbie on Apr 20, 2017 wrote:
This is an attempt to throw light on the murky subject of why you get a boss drop or not. But first let's clear your mind of myths and superstitions.
Repeat after me:
"Doubloons have no affect on boss drops." Very good, now spread the word. See post: "is this true".
"Pet snacks have their own separate table" Very good, spread the word. See post "horrible boss rewards".
The number of pirates in a dungeon also has no effect on boss drops, there is never more than one boss in a dungeon ( The Tower of Moo Manchu is atypical. ) Only the number of minions increase per pirate in the battle.
Now to come to why a boss drops what you want:
Typically a boss drops 1 - 2 items & they are usually named after the boss ( ex. Finn's Cutters )
An atypical boss has a complete outfit including weapon/s, sometimes an accessory.
Examples of these are the Duck of Death, Captain Blood, Captain Swing & Faye of the Nefarious Five.
The more stuff a boss has, the less likely you'll get a desired item. ( I know, it seems counterintuitive, but consider that you want one item from a long list of items + the stuff that is also included on the loot table. )
So the smaller the table, the more likely you'll get an item. That's why bosses with a small table are easier to farm. ( Ex. Cadmus and the Blades of Shade. )
Looking at the Nefarious Five, we see that of those 5 only Josef & Ben have one drop, therefore their drops are the most common in the Tower ( speaking from personal experience, if your experience is different, I apologize. )
Moo Manchu is also an atypical boss. He drops a complete outfit and a weapon for each class, this the includes the stuff most players term "junk". He also drops mounts and pets.
Kane, on the other hand has only one item named for him, yet he also drops complete outfits ( carded gear for all classes ) plus accessories, plus mounts and a pet.
I'm not at all surprised that his Mask is a very rare drop, looking at everything he has to give. ( Probably the most generous boss of the game. )
So the best way to get that most desirable boss drop is farming. The more often you go into a dungeon the higher your chances of receiving that desirable drop becomes.
But DON"T over-do it, it's bad for your health. Just a few runs a day. For long dungeons like Moo Manchu I really recommend only one run.
Amazing post.

Virtuous Dante Ramsey