Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

The Desert Rose

AuthorMessage
First Mate
Nov 01, 2012
Maybe the desert rose(The saloon in Tumbleweed) is a reference that I don't get. I know its a Sting song and a hotel in Vegas but that isn't likely it's origins. But that's not why I'm writing this post. No, I'm writing this not because of the saloon's name, but because of what is above the name on the sign:

"Est. 1876"

At first, this may seem normal. But think. Days, weeks, months, and years have all been mentioned in the spiral before. But do they really have the same dating system as we do. Sometimes when updates are put out they have a "Spiral Date", which is a long sequence of numbers. I'm sure KI added this merely as an aesthetic detail, but it really makes you think.

Lieutenant
Mar 23, 2012
Fearless Finnagan on Apr 18, 2017 wrote:
Maybe the desert rose(The saloon in Tumbleweed) is a reference that I don't get. I know its a Sting song and a hotel in Vegas but that isn't likely it's origins. But that's not why I'm writing this post. No, I'm writing this not because of the saloon's name, but because of what is above the name on the sign:

"Est. 1876"

At first, this may seem normal. But think. Days, weeks, months, and years have all been mentioned in the spiral before. But do they really have the same dating system as we do. Sometimes when updates are put out they have a "Spiral Date", which is a long sequence of numbers. I'm sure KI added this merely as an aesthetic detail, but it really makes you think.
When I hear 'the desert rose' I instantly get the American (Curtis?) from Porco Rosso in my head, sitting in Gina's secret garden trying to impress her into marrying him with his new Hollywood script.

Ah, that was a good film.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
The Desert Rose, a novel by Larry McMurtry. This could be what you're looking for. Notice the last name of the author - McMurtry, like Fort McMurtry.
I don't know anything about this book, I just used a Bing search and this popped up.

Ensign
Jan 03, 2009
I'm grasping at tenuous straws at best...but...there was a tavern established in 1876 that happened to be a favorite of Buffalo Bill Cody. Buffalo Bill hangs in The Desert Rose...so maybe that is something of a nod to him. But as I said...this is a stretch.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Further investigation reveals that Larry McMurtry is very famous for his stories set in the West - in fact CR is filled with McMurtry references. He wrote the Lonesome Dove series, sound familiar?
Obviously, both of us aren't Western literature fans..

First Mate
Nov 01, 2012
anecorbie on Apr 19, 2017 wrote:
Further investigation reveals that Larry McMurtry is very famous for his stories set in the West - in fact CR is filled with McMurtry references. He wrote the Lonesome Dove series, sound familiar?
Obviously, both of us aren't Western literature fans..
Well I have read a lot of Louis L'amour books, If you haven't read his stuff you should really check him out. HIs books are pretty short but they're still really great stories of the wild west. but yeah, I'm largely unfamiliar with authors of this genre. (Now Western movies, on the other hand, I know pretty well- I thought that that side quest was a reference to the MOVIE Lonesome Dove, which is probably based on the book).

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Hey Finn...great find! And nice insight from your fellow posters.

Another possibility in which the 1876 Desert Rose may reference, is the Western outlaw Laura Bullion. She was a known cohort of the Wild Bunch and was given the nickname "Della Rose" by that raucous crew. She also was known to be graced with other nicknames including "Desert Rose". And she also happened to be "established" in 1876.

So perhaps, as is the case with many of P101's easter eggs and references, KI researchers looked to extend a nod to include multiple tidbits of history.

Oh, and one other neat and coincidental bit of info that my research uncovered, is that there is a painting named "Desert Rose" that was created by Alson Skinner Clark...who also happened to be born in 1876! Probably mere coincidence on this one, but still pretty neat, nonetheless. (Though it is obvious from taking a glimpse of all of the many wonderful paintings scattered throughout the Spiral, art plays a significant role in KI's creation process).

But I like to think that the crafty minds at KI try to knock out as many scorpions with one boulder when it comes to referencing history, literature, entertainment and other popular culture.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Fearless Finnagan on Apr 19, 2017 wrote:
Well I have read a lot of Louis L'amour books, If you haven't read his stuff you should really check him out. HIs books are pretty short but they're still really great stories of the wild west. but yeah, I'm largely unfamiliar with authors of this genre. (Now Western movies, on the other hand, I know pretty well- I thought that that side quest was a reference to the MOVIE Lonesome Dove, which is probably based on the book).
My father was a huge fan of Louis L'Amour books, I could hardly escape knowing about him ( since if there was a book in the house, it usually ended up in my hands. )
Other McMurtry books made into movies: Hud, Terms of Endearment & The Last Picture Show

First Mate
Nov 01, 2012
anecorbie on Apr 19, 2017 wrote:
The Desert Rose, a novel by Larry McMurtry. This could be what you're looking for. Notice the last name of the author - McMurtry, like Fort McMurtry.
I don't know anything about this book, I just used a Bing search and this popped up.
I googled him also and he was the screenwriter for Terms of Endearment and Brokeback Mountain(i'm not sure if its ok to mention that movie here because of its mature content, I'm not trying to encourage little kids to watch it I just found it interesting that he wrote it)