Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Pet stances.

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Sep 29, 2013
Hey there,

It would be really cool if pets had stances you could set them on. Stances like, "Hold your ground," "Aggressive," "Defensive," and "Set on patrol." Any further ideas for this? Let us know by posting them to this thread.

Best regards,

~The Law!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Hope Dove the Pira... on Mar 28, 2017 wrote:
Hey there,

It would be really cool if pets had stances you could set them on. Stances like, "Hold your ground," "Aggressive," "Defensive," and "Set on patrol." Any further ideas for this? Let us know by posting them to this thread.

Best regards,

~The Law!
This sounds interesting but I would like to know what you mean in more detail. Do you mean when we place them in our houses?

Lieutenant
Mar 23, 2012
Whilst it would be nice to be able to tell your pet to 'stay' when they have eagle eyes 2, pets having their own behaviours gives them a sort of personality in the battle that makes it more enjoyable, like when that pet with merciless 3 rushes an enemy and annihilates them before turning to another enemy and finishing them off, or earning the ire of the entire party when they hit every statue in the Tower of Moo Manchu and turn all those lifeless statues into corrupted foo lions.

Pets can lend a sense of unpredictability to the battle and personally, I find that I like that.

Good suggestion though.

Lieutenant
Mar 23, 2012
Ensign
Jun 12, 2012
anecorbie on Mar 28, 2017 wrote:
This sounds interesting but I would like to know what you mean in more detail. Do you mean when we place them in our houses?
I believe that it is meant for combat, making pets act more a certain way (such as make pets attack enemies more often or have it stay behind as to not trigger chains or such). I think this could be an interesting tactic to use the pet the best to their abilities (such as having it trigger time warp more often in a defensive stance or use the pet as bait when it approaches an enemy).

However, the unpredictability can sometimes actually help more than having it act a certain way. Maybe the pet could trigger time warp when the pirate needs it most (which can be later on near the end of the fight), rather than earlier on which more like a pet with a defensive stance would use.

Stances could also be bothersome if you have to set it up for each pet for each pet (as some people like to use multiple pets with multiple abilities). While this could easily be optional, some prefer the unpredictability as it can affect timing and make the game more exciting as people anticipate what the pet is going to do when.

Gunner's Mate
Jan 27, 2011
Hope Dove the Pira... on Mar 28, 2017 wrote:
Hey there,

Best regards,

~The Law!
The idea is one of many I've had (and suggested in the distant past) for a long time now, and I still stand by the concept. I'd say create a small window above the 'Done' button that gives a small list of commands for your Pet after they spawn in. Only 4 commands: Sic Em, Guard, Roam, and Heel. This is a toggle system, meaning once you click a command it stays at the command until you click a new one and it takes a full turn before the command takes effect (think of it as a reactionary time for your pet).

Sic Em: tells your pet to focus the enemy and attack

Guard: tells your pet to hang back and only attack when you, the Pirate/Master, are attacked (which means the pet would attack whoever attacks you, if they are in range)

Roam: sets your pet to act completely on its own, just like how the current system is

Heel: sets your pet to a completely passive state where it will take no action

A system like this will benefit all types of players and all types of pets while adding more strategic components to spice up combat. Not to mention it adds a more personal feel to your pet, and knowing you have full control over your pet places more responsibility on you whether it survives or not. In other words: You told Miss Kitty to Sic Em and she was wiped out, I don't need to explain how devastating that would feel (to me at least) knowing you caused your pet's demise.

Also, this system still keeps the 'random' factor in play. You have no control over what abilities your pet uses, or when for that matter, all you can do is guide your pet to do what is most needed given the situation.