Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

A Thinking Man's Battle

AuthorMessage
Petty Officer
May 17, 2011
I'm just gonna say it, I absolutely ADORE Kane's battle. It takes a sense of strategy that you don't find anywhere else in Pirate101.

First off, you have Queen, who wastes no time getting straight into combat. You've really got to focus all attacks on her because of her INSANE damage. She can also move anywhere on the board, so running is pretty pointless, which means you either attack her or die immediately.

Next are the Marines, or the "pawns", who seem like the lesser threat, but are actually one of the biggest, because if they get to your end of the map, they "promote" into another Queen (not sure if they can promote into Rooke's, Deacon's, or Bishop's, but I'm pretty sure it only works if Queen/another boss has already been defeated). Worst part is, they are fully aware of this, and won't waste a second getting to the end of the board.

Then we've got the Rooke's (that's plural, mind you) that not only act as the bodyguards of every unit with their Castle ability, but also play the role of Kane's legs, as Kane can teleport next to either of them at will.

Now for Bishop, who makes a trivial thing like MOVING an incredibly dangerous feat, because of the Armada Machines that act like an extra unit with Overwatch. I mean, it's not TOO big of a deal, because they can't shoot normally and are only lethal if you move in their Overwatch radius, but can still change the way you think about moving quite a bit.

Now, I haven't seen much from Deacon, and I've been sorta viewing him as a lesser threat compared to the others, but his ranged attacks are still annoying, I guess.

Finally, Kane. Deadly Frenzy. 'Nuff said.

This battle is like the most complicated game of Chess ever, and as a person who loves solving these kinds of puzzles and thinking up strategies for things like this, I just love it. Kudos to you, KingsIsle. Kudos to you.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
TheSpiderBozz on Feb 28, 2017 wrote:
I'm just gonna say it, I absolutely ADORE Kane's battle. It takes a sense of strategy that you don't find anywhere else in Pirate101.

First off, you have Queen, who wastes no time getting straight into combat. You've really got to focus all attacks on her because of her INSANE damage. She can also move anywhere on the board, so running is pretty pointless, which means you either attack her or die immediately.

Next are the Marines, or the "pawns", who seem like the lesser threat, but are actually one of the biggest, because if they get to your end of the map, they "promote" into another Queen (not sure if they can promote into Rooke's, Deacon's, or Bishop's, but I'm pretty sure it only works if Queen/another boss has already been defeated). Worst part is, they are fully aware of this, and won't waste a second getting to the end of the board.

Then we've got the Rooke's (that's plural, mind you) that not only act as the bodyguards of every unit with their Castle ability, but also play the role of Kane's legs, as Kane can teleport next to either of them at will.

Now for Bishop, who makes a trivial thing like MOVING an incredibly dangerous feat, because of the Armada Machines that act like an extra unit with Overwatch. I mean, it's not TOO big of a deal, because they can't shoot normally and are only lethal if you move in their Overwatch radius, but can still change the way you think about moving quite a bit.

Now, I haven't seen much from Deacon, and I've been sorta viewing him as a lesser threat compared to the others, but his ranged attacks are still annoying, I guess.

Finally, Kane. Deadly Frenzy. 'Nuff said.

This battle is like the most complicated game of Chess ever, and as a person who loves solving these kinds of puzzles and thinking up strategies for things like this, I just love it. Kudos to you, KingsIsle. Kudos to you.
Marines only promote to Queens and you can have more than one queen on the board. They don't need to wait for the "original" Queen to be defeated.
Queen only has one Assassin's Strike and she'll go for the most vulnerable companion on the front line, so blocking her with a summons with Hold the Line or using a shield on that companion is crucial.
She also has First Strike 3 which removes hides and gives her an advantage on melee attacks. If you wait too long she'll use a group heal ( and, yes, the promoted Marines have that ability, too. ) So blocking those Marines and destroying them first is a good strategy.

Petty Officer
May 17, 2011
anecorbie on Feb 28, 2017 wrote:
Marines only promote to Queens and you can have more than one queen on the board. They don't need to wait for the "original" Queen to be defeated.
Queen only has one Assassin's Strike and she'll go for the most vulnerable companion on the front line, so blocking her with a summons with Hold the Line or using a shield on that companion is crucial.
She also has First Strike 3 which removes hides and gives her an advantage on melee attacks. If you wait too long she'll use a group heal ( and, yes, the promoted Marines have that ability, too. ) So blocking those Marines and destroying them first is a good strategy.
Ok, that's good info. At least I've been doing the start of the battle right, what with taking out Queen and the Marines first thing. The thing with her attacking the most vulnerable character she can first was pretty good info, since I haven't actually finished the battle, but have tried it enough times to know the general abilities of each piec-

Oh, uh... *ahem*

I mean, of each ENEMY. I'm just thinking of this battle as a serious chess game is all, and to make it easier on me, I've been calling the enemies 'chess pieces'.

Anyways, thanks for the tips on how to deal with Queen more easily. Even though I usually do defeat her quickly, she sometimes immediately kills one of me or my partners companions, commonly his Marchioness.

Petty Officer
Nov 06, 2014
I adore this thread. Honestly though, I've been avoiding that dungeon like a plague, but you know what? I think it's high time I try my luck at soloing Kane (I prefer to team up though, lol).

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
FairLady1882 on Mar 2, 2017 wrote:
I adore this thread. Honestly though, I've been avoiding that dungeon like a plague, but you know what? I think it's high time I try my luck at soloing Kane (I prefer to team up though, lol).
Check out other threads on soloing Kane. I have one "I soloed Kane!" and Valkoor the Victorious posted about his experiences. Our advice was from a Swashbuckler and Buccaneer's perspective, though; but you might get some tips from it.
I'll say this: don't solo the Kane battle with a full musket team. Although you'll be facing only one Rook in that situation, his Reflect/Rookechet power can really tear you up. ( Remember the battle in Trafalgar Vortex? Maybe you should refresh your memory. )
Rooke, Bishop and Kane have ways to stop Witchdoctor powers as well. I recommend a heavy hitter that has Hold the Line as one of your companions, like Ratbeard.
Use those Doubloons! Any of the kind that gives a "push" away from you and your companions are great. Lay down those traps and your barrier. If Kane or Rooke get near you or a Companion use that round to move away from them ( especially Kane! )
Good Luck!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
The irony about this battle is, that though you're facing Kane alone, it'll be easier than a team of two battle.
The enemy you'll be facing is much less in that situation.
Only one Rooke, Bishop, and Deacon. Two Marines, ( you get 2 marines per pirate in a team up ) Queen and Kane.

Petty Officer
May 17, 2011
Well, if it helped you, then...

Good for you. I wish you the best of luck with your soloing!

Petty Officer
Nov 06, 2014
anecorbie on Mar 2, 2017 wrote:
Check out other threads on soloing Kane. I have one "I soloed Kane!" and Valkoor the Victorious posted about his experiences. Our advice was from a Swashbuckler and Buccaneer's perspective, though; but you might get some tips from it.
I'll say this: don't solo the Kane battle with a full musket team. Although you'll be facing only one Rook in that situation, his Reflect/Rookechet power can really tear you up. ( Remember the battle in Trafalgar Vortex? Maybe you should refresh your memory. )
Rooke, Bishop and Kane have ways to stop Witchdoctor powers as well. I recommend a heavy hitter that has Hold the Line as one of your companions, like Ratbeard.
Use those Doubloons! Any of the kind that gives a "push" away from you and your companions are great. Lay down those traps and your barrier. If Kane or Rooke get near you or a Companion use that round to move away from them ( especially Kane! )
Good Luck!
Thanks for the feedback. I'll address the highlighted part first. I totally agree with you there because I got a nice little reminder on that the hard way the when I soloed Kane recently (from Rooke of course and because I remembered that Trafalgar Vortex battle...d'oh!). Although I managed to finally beat him (pure luck), I realized that a full musket team was not going to cut it. So I'll definitely rethink my strategy on battling Kane again.

I'll also look for those other threads on soloing Kane since I also have a max buckler and buck.

Petty Officer
Nov 06, 2014
anecorbie on Mar 2, 2017 wrote:
The irony about this battle is, that though you're facing Kane alone, it'll be easier than a team of two battle.
The enemy you'll be facing is much less in that situation.
Only one Rooke, Bishop, and Deacon. Two Marines, ( you get 2 marines per pirate in a team up ) Queen and Kane.
I know and I agree with you. That was just me being a little lazy (although I always pull my weight in team up battles).

Petty Officer
Nov 06, 2014
Okay so I managed to beat Kane a few times on my musket. I'm really trying to perfect my strategy for defeating him solo because sometimes I do lose (and that bites because I get so close winning).