Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

A few questions about ships etc...

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Oct 21, 2013
Hi there!

My Pirate is currently level 19 in Cool Ranch. Normal combat is pretty easy, but ship combat is really hard!
My Nautical level is 13. The ship I have at the moment is a level 17 Monquistador skiff.

I'm saving up to buy a Bison Frigate from one of the ship vendors.

I have a few questions about the whole thing.

What nautical level should I be for my level?

Are there any better ships that I can buy apart from the Bison Frigate? If so, where is the vendor?

Is there any good farm-able ship gear? If that is the case, what boss/mob/ship?

Sorry if these questions are really silly and stuff. I'm quite new to the game.

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
DEFINITELY keep your nautical level even with your pirate's level. Do side quests to earn nautical, send companions Cannoneering, and fight as many extra ships as you encounter in your travels.

Buying another ship will help, but bringing up your Nautical Level is crucial to maintaining a balance between you and the enemies.

Ship Equipment is available for purchase in the Bazaar, or can drop from just about every enemy ship wherever you are sailing. Your best bet is to team up with other pirates to sink ships faster. Since you are flying a Monquistan ship, I'd recommend heading back to Monquista to do your equipment farming if you don't find anything usable in the Bazaar.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Mirajane7887 on Feb 27, 2017 wrote:
Hi there!

My Pirate is currently level 19 in Cool Ranch. Normal combat is pretty easy, but ship combat is really hard!
My Nautical level is 13. The ship I have at the moment is a level 17 Monquistador skiff.

Are there any better ships that I can buy apart from the Bison Frigate? If so, where is the vendor?

Its not silly to ask for information.
If you have a higher level friend who can take you to Tumbleweed, I suggest you get the Bison Galleon from the vendor there. It's higher level and more expensive than the frigate, but it's much stronger.
To raise your Nautical level do all the quests that give nautical exp. and place at least 2 companions on the Sailin' task. Try to get that Nautical at the same level as your Pirate level!
Your Nautical exp. can actually be one level above your Pirate level.
Boss ships usually drop ship gear through sinking, not boarding. "Sleepy Jim" ( I think that's his name ) is near Cooper's Roost.
Red Sash ships in Big Sky usually drop scrip.

Commodore
Apr 28, 2012
Mirajane7887 on Feb 27, 2017 wrote:
Hi there!

Welcome to the Message Boards. We hope to see a lot of you.

Questions are one of the reasons for the message board.

Your Nautical Level should be within in 2 levels of your Pirate level. That is the best way to use the best Ships and Nautical Equipment. The way I do this is any time I am sailing on the Windlanes and I see a ship or ships that I can defeat (preferably something close to my level), I fight them if I am not within 2 Nautical Levels of my Pirate Level. ie If my Pirate Level was 19, my Nautical Level should be at least 17 (I actually prefer to be the same Nautical Level as my Pirate Level). I know this does take time away from advancing in the game temporarily, but it is worth it when you have to fight some very nasty ships. Also, keeping this level allows you to use most Ship Equipment you find from ship fights. However, you only get Ship Equipment if you do not board their ship or allow them to board yours. In other words, you have to blast them out of the sky! You won't get Ship Equipment from every ship battle but it does come often enough to make it worthwhile.

As I remember, you have to be level 20 to be able to use the Bison Frigate. Almost every world has its own best ship. For Cool Ranch, the best ship is the Bison Galleon which can be bought in Tumbleweed in the Tumbleweed Skyway. To get there, you do have to follow the story line.

Almost one to two ship battles out of five can get you Ship Equipment. If you can't use the Ship Equipment or you have old Ship Equipment you don't want anymore, you can always sell it at the Bazaar or to a Ship Vendor. Check prices at both before you sell as there can be a big difference. The Bazaar, as you may know, bases its prices on stock-on-hand and demand for that item. Usually the Bazaar will have good prices on Ship Equipment (if you are buying) but only if there are more than 200 in stock. If it has less than 200, you can usually sell here for a fairly good price compared the Ship Vendors.

(cont.)

Commodore
Apr 28, 2012
(continuation)

The best ships to farm are ones you have some trouble beating because you usually get the best Nautical Experience and Ship Equipment from the fight. Almost always go after the Boss Ships that you can beat without being boarded, because they give the best experience and equipment.

Good Luck and Fair Sailing.

Captain
Jan 17, 2012
That is a good question, and one that does not have an easy answer:

Simple answer: Don't worry about nautical level. Just stay close to your target ship, do as much damage as you can, and let them board you. Whatever damage you did to their ship is carried over to THEIR crew, but not YOUR crew. You will have an easier time fighting them on deck than in the skies.

Patient answer: Every time your pirate goes up in level, send your crew out sailing and get your nautical level up to the same or one higher. This may require a day or two, but not much more than that, if you are diligent in collecting the experience when it becomes collectable.

Spendthrift answer: Always have the highest level ship you have available. Trade in old ones for gold to help equip it. It will make ship to ship combat much much easier.

Composite answer: Keep your nautical level up with your pirate. Keep your top companions only a level or two below your pirate, or if you are patient, you can keep them all the same level as your pirate (this could take a week or two of keel haulin', collecting the tomes and sending them back out as well as a lot of brawlin'). Save some gold by only changing your ship every the fighting gets too hard ship to ship. (You'll know when that is, when every fight ends up on deck)

Hope all that helps.

Captain
Jan 17, 2012
Also, location. You didn't say where in Cool Ranch you were. I'm assuming Cool Ranch I before you get sent to Port Regal. As soon as you get to Cool Rank the best Bison ship will be available at the Bison Village in Big Sky.

In Cool Ranch II, the best one is at Tumbleweed, as soon as you get there.

Once you have the ship at the Bison Village, use that all the way through Cool Ranch and Port Royal. Cool Ranch II, if you don't mind doing a lot of deck battles. Save up gold. Once you have Marco Pollo's ship, take that into Mooshu, and turn it in along with your Bison ship at Hamamitsu for their best ship. Hold onto that throughout Mooshu. Turn that one in when you get to Marleybone.

Ensign
Oct 21, 2013
Thank you all for the information!

It's helped me a lot!

Captain
Oct 26, 2012
Mirajane7887 on Feb 28, 2017 wrote:
Thank you all for the information!

It's helped me a lot!
Totally random but you have 6 posts and 89 yars, meaning you have at least one amazing post that I must read- but I can't find it. Is this a glitch?

Administrator
Golden Guardian on Mar 1, 2017 wrote:
Totally random but you have 6 posts and 89 yars, meaning you have at least one amazing post that I must read- but I can't find it. Is this a glitch?
Not a glitch! The "charms" from the Wizard101 Message Boards and the "yars" from the Pirate101 Message Boards all go into the same bucket when we count them. Mirajane is pretty prolific over on the Wizard101 Message Boards. (And welcome to the Pirate101 forums, Mirajane!)

*One-Eyed Jack, Your Pirate101 Community Manager*
Ensign
Oct 21, 2013
One-Eyed Jack on Mar 1, 2017 wrote:
Not a glitch! The "charms" from the Wizard101 Message Boards and the "yars" from the Pirate101 Message Boards all go into the same bucket when we count them. Mirajane is pretty prolific over on the Wizard101 Message Boards. (And welcome to the Pirate101 forums, Mirajane!)
Thanks One-Eyed Jack! :)

Captain
Sep 19, 2012
One-Eyed Jack on Mar 1, 2017 wrote:
very cool answer a nice little tidbit to know, also great question from golden guardian

welcome to the piratey-side Mirajane x gives cookies and yum-anade x

stormy jen silver

Ensign
Oct 21, 2013
stormyjensilverdra... on Mar 2, 2017 wrote:
very cool answer a nice little tidbit to know, also great question from golden guardian

welcome to the piratey-side Mirajane x gives cookies and yum-anade x

stormy jen silver
Thanks! ^.^