Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Overwatch on shooty/stabby weapons?

AuthorMessage
Captain
Oct 26, 2012
After doing some research I found that my combo shooty/stabby weapon is a melee weapon with attack range one, and thus overwatch will not activate even though it's triggered. Is there any shooty/shabby weapon with range 2+? Also if the devs wanted to make such weapons not have overwatch or readied spell for combat reasons I understand, but please please do make a warning for melee players like me saying overwatch/readied spell will only work for purely ranged or purely hybrid ranged weapons. I have now wasted 2 talents and am extremely disappointed that I used my free reset for such a mistake and do not want to look at how much crowns another reset will cost .

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Golden Guardian on Feb 17, 2017 wrote:
After doing some research I found that my combo shooty/stabby weapon is a melee weapon with attack range one, and thus overwatch will not activate even though it's triggered. Is there any shooty/shabby weapon with range 2+? Also if the devs wanted to make such weapons not have overwatch or readied spell for combat reasons I understand, but please please do make a warning for melee players like me saying overwatch/readied spell will only work for purely ranged or purely hybrid ranged weapons. I have now wasted 2 talents and am extremely disappointed that I used my free reset for such a mistake and do not want to look at how much crowns another reset will cost .
Training Overwatch as a melee class is a waste of time, a little research before you spent that point would have helped you, or even asking the Message Boards their opinion.
There is no melee/range weapon with a +2 range. It is a condition of Overwatch that its a ranged talent attack.
You're better off training Burst Fire which will trigger with a melee attack or train Relentless.

Captain
Oct 26, 2012
anecorbie on Feb 17, 2017 wrote:
Training Overwatch as a melee class is a waste of time, a little research before you spent that point would have helped you, or even asking the Message Boards their opinion.
There is no melee/range weapon with a +2 range. It is a condition of Overwatch that its a ranged talent attack.
You're better off training Burst Fire which will trigger with a melee attack or train Relentless.
In all fairness this was the first and only article I read before purchasing overwatch, https://www.pirate101.com/forum/a-pirates-life/shootystabby-epic-question-8ad6a4144545917c01456fff44bc3ca8#getPostLikeHistory_8ad6a4144545917c01456fff44bf3ca9, and with Ratbeard insisting it should work I purchased overwatch. I only found other articles after I found out overwatch was not triggering and a pirates like me were under the impression that overwatch should work due to the shooty component, like https://www.pirate101.com/forum/a-pirates-life/rb-s-about-combo-shootyslashy-weapons-8ad6a4184f8d4c8e014fae79c5e06d6f . I still stand by my issue that they should make overwatch a lot more clearly explained for pirates, ie a warning message that states overwatch will only work on:
-Shooty Weapons.
-Shooty/Staffy weapons.
It should be feasible to implement a small warning message in some way. Pirates should not need to go through such confusion, and although research does help I don't think it's neccasary if such a warning was given in the first place.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Golden Guardian on Feb 18, 2017 wrote:
In all fairness this was the first and only article I read before purchasing overwatch, https://www.pirate101.com/forum/a-pirates-life/shootystabby-epic-question-8ad6a4144545917c01456fff44bc3ca8#getPostLikeHistory_8ad6a4144545917c01456fff44bf3ca9, and with Ratbeard insisting it should work I purchased overwatch. I only found other articles after I found out overwatch was not triggering and a pirates like me were under the impression that overwatch should work due to the shooty component, like https://www.pirate101.com/forum/a-pirates-life/rb-s-about-combo-shootyslashy-weapons-8ad6a4184f8d4c8e014fae79c5e06d6f . I still stand by my issue that they should make overwatch a lot more clearly explained for pirates, ie a warning message that states overwatch will only work on:
-Shooty Weapons.
-Shooty/Staffy weapons.
It should be feasible to implement a small warning message in some way. Pirates should not need to go through such confusion, and although research does help I don't think it's neccasary if such a warning was given in the first place.
"With Ratbeard insisting it should work if I purchased overwatch."
Yet a thorough reading should have told you that there were other talents mentioned - like Vengeance Strike, Burst Fire & Relentless. ( Which do trigger with a shooty/slashy or stabby combo. )
And you seem to have dismissed the part where RB says:
"...there are some technical limitations to what I can fix, due to some pretty fundamental aspects of the combat code."

Captain
Oct 26, 2012
anecorbie on Feb 18, 2017 wrote:
"With Ratbeard insisting it should work if I purchased overwatch."
Yet a thorough reading should have told you that there were other talents mentioned - like Vengeance Strike, Burst Fire & Relentless. ( Which do trigger with a shooty/slashy or stabby combo. )
And you seem to have dismissed the part where RB says:
"...there are some technical limitations to what I can fix, due to some pretty fundamental aspects of the combat code."
I did not dismiss the fact that there were other talents mentioned. When Ratbeard said it should work I took it as everything as a whole, from both melee talents to ranged talents the user listed. Optimistic me did read the "fundamental aspects of combat code" but still assumed that it would work due to the previous statement. Whilst I should have analysed the statement further, at that time I was not willing to trawl through many posts in a studious manner. I was there to have fun and like valkoor said in regards to the same issue "get creative".

Nonetheless I don't care anymore on what I should/should not have done in regards to research and I politely request you won't push the issue. I will not back down on my point that p101 should focus on explicitly stating overwatch/readied spell are limited to ranged or hybrid ranged weapons. Plenty, and I mean plenty, of pirates I have met assume that overwatch will work on shooty/stabby or shooty/slashy and are surprised when I tell them it doesn't. I am trying to warn as many pirates as I can to avoid letting them fall for the same mistake I made. As far as I am concerned it should be knowledge readily available in-game rather than to be found out on forums or boards after a user disappointingly discovers overwatch is not triggering. Here is a interesting convo I had with a pirate:

Me: " I made a mistake. Overwatch is useless for shooty stabby combo weapons :("
Friend: "Oh yeah, it reveals your black fog huh that sucks. It's a bad style for bucklers in some cases"
Me: "No, it doesn't work at all
Friend: "Oh? What do you mean

Another simpler convo:

Me: "Do you think overwatch works on shooty/stabby weapons"
Friend: "yes"
Me:

Let's be honest most pirates don't even use central or these boards that much, but they have as much right to know about this issue and other issues as well without researching a million threads. I am strongly advocating that pirate101 emphasises that overwatch is solely a ranged weapon talent.

Captain
Sep 19, 2012
i also learned the hard way that the witch version of overwatach doesnt trigger when using combo weapons.. bought a hoodoo pack just for the outfit/tunic, discovered it never worked.. years ago now.. turns out its to balance us from being powerful? idk really but when having to choose between my favorite shirt or not having my feet glued to the floor, i ended up keeping my favorite playstyle; going with stabby/staffy.. never looked back, though it still hurts a bit having played other games where ranged/melee combo fully works as it should its a bit disappointing its different here.. that being said, you have bunch of choices in combo weapons as you level and never know if things might change in the future..

example on changes, until recently there wasn't any better weapon for a melee witch other than one from bazaar, statted at 60, then in dreadnaught one was dropped for me :3 level 70 and its amazing in every way..
re-set if ya like.. but things do change.. i'm still hopeful too..

stormy jen silver

Petty Officer
Jul 13, 2013
hey i have gun and sword weapons too