Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

PvP Spectating System

AuthorMessage
Lieutenant
Jun 08, 2009
To Ratbeard and Devs, ever since Rank Pvp Started a lot of players have asked for a way to spectate matches, simply for entertainment or to learn more about pvp in general. There are a lot of players that are always hanging out in the practice hall because they enjoy seeing matches. It’s in everyone’s best interest that a spectator system is implemented so that anybody who desires to view a match is able to. In regards to the bad side of this, I think the benefits heavily outweigh them and a spectator mode is something that the community wants to see in the next update.

Ensign
May 21, 2012
Sunny Wolf on Feb 1, 2017 wrote:
To Ratbeard and Devs, ever since Rank Pvp Started a lot of players have asked for a way to spectate matches, simply for entertainment or to learn more about pvp in general. There are a lot of players that are always hanging out in the practice hall because they enjoy seeing matches. It’s in everyone’s best interest that a spectator system is implemented so that anybody who desires to view a match is able to. In regards to the bad side of this, I think the benefits heavily outweigh them and a spectator mode is something that the community wants to see in the next update.
I agree. It would be nice to be able to spectate ranked matches like in Wizard101. I don't know why didn't they add a Spectating system when Ranked PvP came out. But it would be great to watch a Ranked match in action.

Community Leader
I second this idea. The primary concern most have over ranked pvp match spectating is the potential for drama and conflict. Thus, I propose that each pirate that views the match does so without seeing or being able to interact with the other spectators and duelists. This would allow newer players to watch seasoned veterans duel and would also help address the issue of spectating in ranked. On a side note, I'd also like to see a spectate button in the spar chamber. With the large number of spectators that can be present, it's often difficult to watch the match.

Writer, Editor, Administrator, and Pirate PvP guy at FinalBastion

Check us out for all things Pirate101 and Wizard101 PvE/PvP

Petty Officer
Jan 03, 2010
Between the boosters, tainted champion weapons/badges and lack of incentive to pursue Ranked PvP, I'd be crushed to see another update without spectating implemented into the game. The spar chamber is always full of people who are there solely to watch pvp matches. It would be quite upsetting to see this long-time, highly requested feature swept under the rug in a not-so-distant test realm. The lack of acknowledgement on this topic from the devs has become a progressively larger megaphone projecting the creaky walls/floorboards and other sounds of emptiness in the brawlin' hall.

Ensign
Dec 08, 2008
Indeed, such an addition is greatly needed. Many PvPers and their friends enjoy keeping track of competition and fellow peers, also such a system is sure to bring in more pirates into PvP as many don't even try it (due to Wiz experiences and other factors, or just unjustified stubbornness)... not to mention being a great learning experience and activity to pass the time.

I'm not an active ranker but I love watching matches and read every kind of PvP discussion and conversation (your position on a matter is irrelevant to studying it ). Even if I don't play practice too often, I still work to make PvP builds... even if I never come to PvP on some of these characters.

~R

Ensign
Aug 20, 2010
Thankful to you for bringing this matter up. I agree, introducing a spectator mode to the ranked would be absolutely a great addition to PVP. The majority community among us, had been awaiting for it a protracted duration of instances. Moreover, might be truly outstanding if we able to see what matches are taking place. So it'd be certainly enjoyable, if KI will add an approach to introduce the spectator topic to make the community a piece more social, additionally a new layer fun to the game.

Ensign
Oct 16, 2012
I agree with Ravino here. Many new players, or players simply just interested in pvp, feel intimidated by the early stages of getting involved with pvp. Having a way to watch other players go head-to-head is way for those interested to learn more about the pvp experience and what they might expect upon queuing for their first pvp match. Having a way to easily access these matches may make players feel more confident and prepared in certain match-ups. For example, you are a swashbuckler who isn't confident in you're ability to 1v1 a privateer, having an outlet to be able to easily access this match-up can let you study (borrowing Ravino's diction here) these match-ups so you could be better prepared to take them on.

Currently, the only things that come close to a spectate system is the spar chamber (which does not accurately reflect ranked pvp) and uploads of pvp on youtube. I know in wizard101 I would spectate matches all the time because they looked fun, and it led me to eventually start ranked pvp there. I believe that same result could be translated into pirate101. I would really love to see a spectate system in the next update, and I know a lot of the community believes it is long overdue.

Ensign
Sep 22, 2012
Out of personal experience, implementing a spectating system would really help players like me! Those brave enough to shift away out of wizard101 into pirate101 I decided I wanted to make the switched solely so that I can participate in ranked pvp; however, things aren't easy. Guides are scarce and out dated and finding someone to learn from has proven to be even harder. Just having the chance to watch experience people do their thing would help increase pvp participation, setting isn't really much of a thing like in wizard101 and if people are afraid of being stalked, we could always give players an option to turn spectating on and off

Please help push for this update mighty rat beard!

Ensign
Sep 03, 2010
Spectating for PvP would definitely be a nice installment to P101; especially being it can't be that hard as it has been in W101 for quite some time now. In my opinion this could help in multiple ways, not only for the player-base but for Kingsisle as a whole as well. What do I mean? - This enables us to enjoy watching our friends matches from their point of view, which everyone who hangs out in the Spar' Chamber and the Brawlin' Hall has been waiting for! It also brings up the ability for all the sites like p101 central, and maybe even breed new sites for pvp tournaments; it allows them to record every tournament/ladder match they so choose. This would bring publicity to the game, and publicity to some of P101's more renouned PvP players. It also brings in Twitch(the streaming site) as a factor. W101 has streamers all the time, but P101 doesn't. This is because you can only stream questing, and matches that you partake in. Spectating would allow a streamer to host their own tournament, and stream it live as well as uploading it all to YouTube in the passing days. These streamers/youtubers will more than likely host their own tournaments from time to time, making PvP more exciting for those who can't do ranked. Tournaments in general are a really good thing for P101, but they aren't popular because there is no way of broadcasting them, and there is no way for spectators to watch them; w101 proves my theory. So many people enjoy watching their tournaments that people make on their own and broadcast on their own, I think it's time to implement this into p101 and gain some of the community back.

Ensign
Nov 14, 2009
Ever since ranked PVP came out in Pirates I've been waiting for spectating to come into the game. Spectating matches are one of my favorite pastimes on Wizards and would really like to see it implemented in Pirates. I just love watching matches and cheering them on and picking up new strategies. I do agree that there should be an option to turn on/off spectating if the players in the duel don't want them for a specific match/s. But, I do think the pros definitely outweigh the cons. Especially since we have such a smaller player base and fewer side activities in this game. This would be another great way for players to socialize besides just hanging out in the morphing tent, Avery's Court, or the Brawlin' Hall. I give this idea 2 thumbs up!

Ensign
Nov 05, 2011
Putting a Pvp spectating will put a new outlook on rank honestly. I agree with this idea of trying to implement it because players have a better chance on how to deal with other classes and will learn more for their own class. I highly suggest Ratbeard does implement this to rank because it will change it's outlook for people who look for competitive pvp in the game for entertainment or People who look to learn and want to see what player who do rank goes through every season.

Lieutenant
Jun 08, 2009
If anybody else wants to be able to view ranked matches and have a form of spectating implemented please comment your thoughts on it so we can spark more attention to it

Ensign
Jul 26, 2013
I agree with the spectating system suggested by you folks except on one point. I believe that it should be optional to allow people to view your matches just as it is optional to allow people to port or trade doubloons with you. It would also be nice not to see a bunch of people walking around during the match cause it kinda makes the experience seem a little bit cluttered. My suggestion is that spectators do not appear to those who are actually in the match ( this would include the spar chamber as well as ranked and it would be optional ).

~nV Abe

Ensign
Sep 14, 2012
Amazing idea, i love to see this in game really soon.!.

Admiral
Jul 07, 2013
I would like to watch as well to learn new player strategies.

Virtuous Dante Ramsey

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
I have always wanted to see spectating for Ranked PVP matches. I would love to watch my champion friends fight from a higher vantage point than the side lines of the Spar Chamber.
That said; some of you have requested that spectating be an option to toggle off or on - this may be somewhat complicated. What if one player wants privacy and the other wants their friends or others to watch?
I advocate just one simple system - ALL Ranked PVP matches should be able to be watched. If chatter is a distraction, then make the spectating area "no chat", mute everyone. Although allow private chat between friends.

Ensign
Jul 12, 2016
I think this is a good idea. We all know ranked is very stale atm, but spectating would get more people interested in ranked. Spectating would be a great way for people just getting into ranked pvp to get a feel for what it's like, and see different strategies, without having to risk their own rank.

Captain
Sep 19, 2012
HIGHLY AGREE

though spectators want to feel like they are "inside" the match, so showing battleboard movement choices as made by which team, and zooming in camera so we can enjoy the Epic hits that companions and pirates as we would if in pve ourselves sharing on a team would make it more exciting for all..

stormy jen silver

Bosun
Apr 19, 2012
anecorbie on Feb 4, 2017 wrote:
I have always wanted to see spectating for Ranked PVP matches. I would love to watch my champion friends fight from a higher vantage point than the side lines of the Spar Chamber.
That said; some of you have requested that spectating be an option to toggle off or on - this may be somewhat complicated. What if one player wants privacy and the other wants their friends or others to watch?
I advocate just one simple system - ALL Ranked PVP matches should be able to be watched. If chatter is a distraction, then make the spectating area "no chat", mute everyone. Although allow private chat between friends.
I would agree that chat amongst the spectators should be muted. The often mean-spirited and profanity laced comments made by the majority of the PVP community, turn what should be a friendly competition into a very negative experience for a lot of players.

Petty Officer
Dec 31, 2009
Even though this is an old post, the topic is still relevant. It is almost impossible to learn pvp in pirates as a new player with the system as it is now. We all know the spar chamber works differently than ranked, so that is really not an option. Guides/videos are few and far between.

One thing they could do to keep spectator mode from becoming toxic would be to simply mute spectators. Not sure there are ANY updates in pirates future however, such a shame to let such a great game go to waste.