Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

What made you choose Pirate101?

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Jan 14, 2014
I'm just wondering, with all the other great MMOs and other games, out there and coming out, with great graphics, interesting stories, what made you choose (and makes you stay) P101 or even Wizard for that matter?

To me, at least with P101 is the companion system, the conversations with them and the funny banther between them, the friendly community, I love the gameplay. the combat system is great, the story arcs, and especially the housing system, it's one of the best I've seen in a game.
I guess graphics don't really make a game, like it's thought to be these days in the gaming world.
So, what about you?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Ricardo6802 on Dec 3, 2016 wrote:
I'm just wondering, with all the other great MMOs and other games, out there and coming out, with great graphics, interesting stories, what made you choose (and makes you stay) P101 or even Wizard for that matter?

To me, at least with P101 is the companion system, the conversations with them and the funny banther between them, the friendly community, I love the gameplay. the combat system is great, the story arcs, and especially the housing system, it's one of the best I've seen in a game.
I guess graphics don't really make a game, like it's thought to be these days in the gaming world.
So, what about you?
I was playing Wizard101, when I saw the announcement for the Beta testing of their new game. I signed up, but wasn't selected. However, every day I checked the web site to see when it would be released.
There are many reasons why I play P101:
It's not overtly violent.
It has a compelling story and great writing.
The music is very well done - neither boring or annoying.
The community is nice, a majority are helpful and fun to be with ( with only a few nasty trolls ).
The companion system is great!
I don't know why anyone would slam the graphics of this game, just because it's not 100% "realistic". I think our pirates look nice ( they suit the story and world ) and KI artists and modelers have come up with some very interesting NPCs lately.

Lieutenant
Sep 17, 2012
I like the combat system. Turn based MMORPG are the best and the strategies needed to overcome the fights are fun.

Ensign
Jun 14, 2013
Tactical RPG is one of my favorite genres, and the use of Epics in this game is what captivated me. It creates a lot more strategies in the game and allowing you to defeat an enemy even if it wasn't your turn.

Attack when enemy approaches you > Attack again if enemy's attacking you > Attack once more if landed a critical hit > Bonus Attack if you're lucky

Repel Border > First Strike > Blade Storm > Relentless
Gotta love Egg Shen.

Lieutenant
Jan 20, 2013
For me, my KingsIsle adventure started with Wizard101. I had seen a commercial for it on TV a few years ago and decided to try it. After I fell in love with it, I started researching what other games KingsIsle made. From there, I found Pirate101.

Pirate101 is a much more complex game than Wizard101, and I think that's what makes it interesting. There are so many companion options, different story changes depending on what class you are, and so much more. I love that everyone's experience can be so different while playing the same game.

I also was attracted to Pirate101's humor and many pop culture references. I love seeing nods to some of my favorite movies and TV shows.

Last but not least, I think the community is what made me stay. Unlike some other games, the KingsIsle community for the most part is very helpful and understanding. People are willing to work with you if you're having trouble with something or just need some advice. The atmosphere is so welcoming.

~Virtuous Vanessa

Once a super fan, now a KingsIsle QA Tester! I squash bugs.
~
_~ )_)_~
)_))_))_)
_!__!__!_
\______t/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
I also had been playing Wizard101 for many years (and I still play) when Pirate101 was announced, I was thrilled to take part in the Beta test. The story, my crew, and the awesome animations drew me to the pirate side of the Spiral, and I love sailing my ship along the windlanes.

Lieutenant
Aug 19, 2011
I suppose my story is similar to most - I was already playing W101 when I first heard of Pirates. The first time I've seen an ad about Pirates was through Wizard101's launch window, but even I had my doubts at first. I guess what really made me iffy about it was the fact that it was about pirates, and I just wasn't very big on pirates at the time. Hearing more about it, however, raised my curiosity - then there was also the fact that pirates are indeed adventurous, and being someone who loves a good adventure, it was enough reason to give the game a shot.

Day one of game release, downloaded and ready to play. I went in with a clear mind, just wanting to get a feel of the game and see how I liked it. Next thing I knew, I knew nothing - but this game. The story, the characters, the gameplay, the environment - nothing was short of awesome. Except for that pay wall, anyhow.

Love for the game is what keeps me here. That, and being able to be a part of such a friendly and welcoming community - which is another thing of Pirate101 that's unique compared to many other online games.

Captain
Jun 26, 2010
What can I say mates, anything KI comes up with I be willing to try anything once if I like it I be set, if not I won't bother, but it so happens I be a big fan of Pirates so it works out in thee end and became completely Hooked Up, pun intended.

- Deadeye Jack Morgan

- Deadeye Edward Morgan

First Mate
Mar 30, 2011
The main reason I ended up choosing and preferring Pirate101 over all other MMORPGs is because of it's lore, fun-looking game-play style and the companions were a nice encouragement as well. I feel as though, like Wizard101, it's a unique game but more so than it's big sibling.

It might also have something to do with being very interested in pirates at the time

Captain
Mar 24, 2013
Long story short, initially i was just here for the free zone.After these zones are fully explored, i was going to delete my initial characters and create new ones. They were meant to be the test characters for each class,how ever the storyline was very interesting and could not get enough of it.

As a result, these became my permanent characters and been exploring the pirate 101 universe since March of 2013.These characters became stronger since and created, lots of found ( great ) memories as a player.Have I mention Rayan the Yum-n-ade character is the one influenced me to keep on adventuring ?

Until then,happy holidays and see you at the skyways.

Lieutenant
Jun 10, 2013
For some reason at the time I'd run into a string of pirate themed games that I really enjoyed even though they were all very different (one was puzzle, one was solitaire, one was adventure, etc.) and I'm wanting to say I was on armor games when I saw an ad for Pirates101 so naturally, I wanted to try it.

I will say one thing I was (and continue to be) disappointed by is that aside from chests, there are no real surprises or benefits to exploring. I understand the need to drive the story forward and get through quests but it would be amazing if there were unexpected things we could stumble upon when we ignore our yellow arrow. Secret rooms, weapons' caches, puzzles to solve, etc.

But the turn based strategy along with being able to watch the battle play out is what won my heart. So many MMOs and/or battle games move so quickly that it's either chaos and you have to *spray and pray* or it's a matter of just clicking and the only sign you've even hit your target is their health meter. I love being able to plan the moves and also have the experience of seeing them in action. It just makes it easy to follow and deliberate where with other games there's a disconnect between the actions and the results.

I'm one of the few who found Pirates before Wizard. I will play Wiz periodically (really only got into it during the long hiatus here when the tower was the only thing I had to do) but my heart belongs to Pirates.

Lieutenant
Jun 20, 2013
ThriftyTiffanyWebb on Dec 12, 2016 wrote:
For some reason at the time I'd run into a string of pirate themed games that I really enjoyed even though they were all very different (one was puzzle, one was solitaire, one was adventure, etc.) and I'm wanting to say I was on armor games when I saw an ad for Pirates101 so naturally, I wanted to try it.

I will say one thing I was (and continue to be) disappointed by is that aside from chests, there are no real surprises or benefits to exploring. I understand the need to drive the story forward and get through quests but it would be amazing if there were unexpected things we could stumble upon when we ignore our yellow arrow. Secret rooms, weapons' caches, puzzles to solve, etc.

But the turn based strategy along with being able to watch the battle play out is what won my heart. So many MMOs and/or battle games move so quickly that it's either chaos and you have to *spray and pray* or it's a matter of just clicking and the only sign you've even hit your target is their health meter. I love being able to plan the moves and also have the experience of seeing them in action. It just makes it easy to follow and deliberate where with other games there's a disconnect between the actions and the results.

I'm one of the few who found Pirates before Wizard. I will play Wiz periodically (really only got into it during the long hiatus here when the tower was the only thing I had to do) but my heart belongs to Pirates.
I have a similar story. I was just about 7-8 years old, when i saw a commercial for Pirate101. Back then i was very drawn out for Fantasy(i still am) and anything that featured History is what i love.

Ensign
Jul 04, 2013
I've never played Wizard101 but I LOVE pirates. I saw the commercials on TV for Pirate101 and decided to give it a shot. I am SO glad that I did.

The storyline is okay... but the following three things are the aspects that make this one of my favorite games.

1. The strategy based battle system. I love plotting out a battle based on my and my companions' special talents and abilities. I especially like the battles that have specific criteria and force me to adapt my strategy on the fly.

2. The characters. Bonnie Anne is my favorite but I love having a crew that's filled with such a diverse cast of colorful characters. The core companions are my favorites. Milo Graytail/Lucky Jack, Ol' Scratch, Ratbeard, El Toro, Monkey King, Gracie Conrad, Catbeard, Hawkules. The sheer comedy that comes from my crew's back and forth banter (I'm looking at you Bonnie and Ratbeard) makes the long storyline a joy to play through.

3. The references. I'm a history buff and an even bigger movie buff so I'm one of those people that gets and fully appreciates most of the references that are crammed into this game. I love how each world in the Spiral is chocked full of references towards a specific culture. Some of my favorites are the classic pirate names, the Frogfather that sounds like Marlin Brando, Donkey Hotey/Don Quixote the man of La Mancha, the 'Turtle Balls' and the Journey to the West and all of the references to Greek mythology.in Aquila. I like Norse Mythology too so here's hoping we got to Grizzleheim at some point.

Speaking of the references... the only ones I can't seem to get are the ones at Azteca. I get that dinosaurs are ancient creatures and that they've created an Aztec-like civilization like ancient humans. But is there a pun theme with the dinosaur names that I'm missing? Oxlahun Zotz? Itzam Halach? Lamac Chol? Ch'ok Ak'ab? Are they references to historical figures? Is it a Mad Gab thing? Can anyone help me out here?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
J0HNS1LVER on Dec 15, 2016 wrote:
I've never played Wizard101 but I LOVE pirates. I saw the commercials on TV for Pirate101 and decided to give it a shot. I am SO glad that I did.

The storyline is okay... but the following three things are the aspects that make this one of my favorite games.

1. The strategy based battle system. I love plotting out a battle based on my and my companions' special talents and abilities. I especially like the battles that have specific criteria and force me to adapt my strategy on the fly.

2. The characters. Bonnie Anne is my favorite but I love having a crew that's filled with such a diverse cast of colorful characters. The core companions are my favorites. Milo Graytail/Lucky Jack, Ol' Scratch, Ratbeard, El Toro, Monkey King, Gracie Conrad, Catbeard, Hawkules. The sheer comedy that comes from my crew's back and forth banter (I'm looking at you Bonnie and Ratbeard) makes the long storyline a joy to play through.

3. The references. I'm a history buff and an even bigger movie buff so I'm one of those people that gets and fully appreciates most of the references that are crammed into this game. I love how each world in the Spiral is chocked full of references towards a specific culture. Some of my favorites are the classic pirate names, the Frogfather that sounds like Marlin Brando, Donkey Hotey/Don Quixote the man of La Mancha, the 'Turtle Balls' and the Journey to the West and all of the references to Greek mythology.in Aquila. I like Norse Mythology too so here's hoping we got to Grizzleheim at some point.

Speaking of the references... the only ones I can't seem to get are the ones at Azteca. I get that dinosaurs are ancient creatures and that they've created an Aztec-like civilization like ancient humans. But is there a pun theme with the dinosaur names that I'm missing? Oxlahun Zotz? Itzam Halach? Lamac Chol? Ch'ok Ak'ab? Are they references to historical figures? Is it a Mad Gab thing? Can anyone help me out here?
Azteca is a world in Wizard101. Azteca seems to be based on the Pre-Columbian cultures of Meso-America ( Aztecs, Mayan, Incan, etc. )

Ensign
Jul 04, 2013
anecorbie on Dec 15, 2016 wrote:
Azteca is a world in Wizard101. Azteca seems to be based on the Pre-Columbian cultures of Meso-America ( Aztecs, Mayan, Incan, etc. )
I realized that. What I'm focusing on are the names. More often than not there's a theme involved in the name for the NPCs that you come across. Either they're a tribute to a historical figure or its some kind of pun.

Finn Dorsal = Dorsal Fin/Vin Diesel/Riddick. Gortez = Cortez. Eep opp ork ah-ah = I love you.
Bonnie Anne = Anne Bonny. Calico Jake = Calico Jack Rackham. Ready Mary = Mary Read.
Frankie Blue Eyes = Frank Sinatra. Martin Dean = Dean Martin. Sammy Davies = Sammy Davies Jr.
Marco Pollo = Marco Polo. Merriweather Clark = Merriweather Lewis and WIlliam Clark.
Sherlock and Mycroft Bones = Sherlock and Mycroft Holmes. Meowiarty = Moriarty.

Anyway, you get the idea. There's a often a theme to the character names.
I don't know much Aztec/Mayan/Incan history so if there's a theme for the name of the dinosaur NPC characters it's going over my head. And if its a reference then I'm missing it.

Maybe I'm reading too far into it...

Admiral
Nov 01, 2013
Ricardo6802 on Dec 3, 2016 wrote:

So, what about you?
I never saw any advertisements for Pirate101 (I was wondering if they had any: The only advertisements or online banner ads I saw were only on FreeKIGames' website, and that's KingsIsle's own website!) and, to be honest, it's been so long I can't even remember how I even found it in the first place, but I am amazingly glad I found it. I never played Wizard101. I was a non-member for a really long time until finally I became a member, sailing the Skyways and living for adventure.

The story-line is so amazing, I love the characters (Bonnie Anne and Ratbeard bickering like siblings is hilarious), and it truly is wonderful. I love the humor - it's not slapstick humor, either; it's true humor which actually makes me laugh out loud - and I love the detail. The graphics are amazing, and the music is so wonderful! (The MooShu music, the Cool Ranch main theme, and the Valencian Aragon Skyway music are my favorites by far.) Pirate101 very much impresses me. The Houses are huge - when I would think of a House in Pirate101, I would think that the proper word is "island". Most of the Houses have multiple houses in one! Pirate101 always continues to impress me.

Thanks and good hunting,

- The Dashing Swashbuckler, A.K.A. Helpful Aurora Parker, Level 61 Swashbuckler
- The Pirate, A.K.A. Brave Kiley, Level 25 Buccaneer
- The Commander, A.K.A. Nora, Level 12 Privateer

Ensign
Apr 29, 2014
Back in 2014 I saw this game as I started my wizard 101 adventure. At that time I was in an animal phase and thought "oh my gosh an animal adventure game!" Plus when I saw the commercials I wanted to try it! I played for a while but got bored of it cause I couldn't buy a membership and left. Finally this year with Christmas in July (when it happened) I made a swashbuckler and got through the free part and got some cool pets and a swashbuckler house. And thought "Can't leave now". After months of begging my parents I got a membership and all the way to level 64. And now just recently I got a two month membership and finish the game. Throughout all of that I loved the characters, the story line, the awesome community we have. Plus its awesome that people of all ages can come together and play a game to get away from life and enjoy other people. Overall it always has a special part in our lives which what brings us back.

Ruthless Anna Nightingale level 70

Petty Officer
May 13, 2010
I first started in W101 and decided to give Pirate 101 a try due to W101 being so difficult to do anything solo. I am not a big fan of begging people to help when completing quests so having companions is one of the things I love. Also, I wanted a game that my kids could play with me. Most MMOs now are so violent or adult oriented that having them play/watch the game is out of the question. As many other people have mentioned the game as a whole is so well put together from the writing, graphics, music, and fighting style. I can't wait to see what worlds and side content KI has in store for the game next year.

Petty Officer
Nov 10, 2013
So my story goes like so
I was bored wanted to play new fresh mmorpg and so i was watching youtube one day found add like the saying is curiosity killed the Tim made account and a few weeks later i downloaded wizard101 but i sticked to pirate101 and prefer it to this day my first pirate was swash then musket the privy then buck then my main Witch

it says i joined in 2013 but i joined in 2011 my first account got hacked because for free to play people pets where hard to get and i had about 7 or 8 on my first account so yea

Dead-eye Tim

Petty Officer
May 12, 2012
Similar to everyone else:

It started with W101 for awhile, then I moved to P101, when I was maybe 9? People say P101 is "too hard" and "weird" but honestly, P101 is easier to me now. It is easier to solo and I am a lot more s uccesful with it overall. And, P101 isn't weird, it is just different from W101. P101 (though it wasn't for me) is mainly for the older players that want more complex combat. W101 is for the younger kids, because it is simpler for them. I want P101 to stay and not leave for awhile. It is a great game for us who don't want to stay in a place. (Also the companions, ships, storyline, and all the skyways/mini worlds make it very engaging)

Lieutenant
Dec 02, 2009
I was playing Wizards and saw the upcoming new game notice so I looked and was blown away a wizards style pirate game ! O heck yes I have to play that so I waited for release and have played every day since I love this game! What made me choose it the art style is great the characters are endearing and make you become drawn in to the story . The story line is amazing for a game like this it has some thing that makes you love it and want to be a part of it . the ships are easy to use and the view from them between realms is also amazing .The battle is great I was so afraid it would be wizards style but they did the chess style board layout that works so well with the companions and the ships together. The first day of release we all jumped in are rafts and hit skull island sky way we were all jumping on board the shark boats and fighting are little hearts out and the whole time was a blast I have been hooked since. So what made me choose pirates everything .

Commodore
May 31, 2009
I started with Wizard101 in 2009 and I've stuck with it even though I was absolutely awful at it for a long time. I think that's a large part of the reason I switched to Pirate101 in 2013. Though I was skeptical at first as to its quality, thinking that a game about pirates in a world I'd only known as belonging to wizards would be silly, I downloaded the game one evening just to try it out. I remember being absolutely blown away by the free-to-play story and the visuals of the pirate world that, while being unique, still echoed Wizard101's style. Once I ran out of free content (by staying up until three in the morning to play through it all...oops) I wasted no time in buying a membership to quest my first pirate - Misty Jackson, a swashbuckler born of curiosity and lack of sleep - through the game. I recall getting horribly stuck in MooShu in summer 2014, and that's when I started chatting with the community on the message boards, which led to me wanting to stick around and stay involved. As time has worn on I've gotten busier with real life obligations but there's still a part of me every day that wants to sit down, ignore my responsibilities, and return to the wonderful world that is Pirate101. It's made such a mark on me that I don't think I'll ever stop loving it and all of the experiences I've had in game.

Admiral
Jun 02, 2013
*sigh*

My tale is nothing sentimental or honourable like all of yours

I believe I was on Armor games and I got a pop-up ad for this very game, I basically went through with it and got the game and I played all the way up to the membership blockade which at the time was the entrance to Traitor's Cave

I forgot about the game for about a month but I came back on and saw a pirate cast ghostwail, that faithful moment made me the witchdoctor I am

This time I didn't let the membership blockade stop me and I haven't regretted that since

Ensign
Dec 25, 2016
I started playing right after it came out of beta. I was playing wizard101 at the time. I loved the storyline and gameplay, but never had enough money to get a subscription. Finally, I found the prepaid cards. I would play the game on and off for the past few years with different accounts. One you may know of is Noble Arthur Fairlead. I finally started playing again, and everything has been going well.

Bloody Christo De Bouff lvl 21

Ensign
Dec 25, 2012
The trailer for the beta was just amazing and I was so hyped.

Two-Faced Flint Spinnaker
Level 41
Witchdoctor