Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Problem with assumptions

AuthorMessage
Captain
Jan 17, 2012
There is a problem with the promotion quest, "Bob's Your Uncle", which is for your companion you picked up in The Presidio.

It comes up when your companion hits level 67, which could happen when your pirate hits level 67, which could occur just as you barely begin your quests in Aquila.

All of the events occur in Skull Island Skyways. And at one point, you go to Parrot Island to dig up a disk, only to find it gone. And Hawkules has something to say about it.

Hawkules? How did he get here? My pirate still has not fought in the Trojan War. I don't even meet Hawkules until I finish that, and go to defeat the Minotaur.

This problem could be solved if the you have to meet Bob in Valencia II or Ithaca.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Max DeGroot on Nov 30, 2016 wrote:
There is a problem with the promotion quest, "Bob's Your Uncle", which is for your companion you picked up in The Presidio.

It comes up when your companion hits level 67, which could happen when your pirate hits level 67, which could occur just as you barely begin your quests in Aquila.

All of the events occur in Skull Island Skyways. And at one point, you go to Parrot Island to dig up a disk, only to find it gone. And Hawkules has something to say about it.

Hawkules? How did he get here? My pirate still has not fought in the Trojan War. I don't even meet Hawkules until I finish that, and go to defeat the Minotaur.

This problem could be solved if the you have to meet Bob in Valencia II or Ithaca.
Usually players finished Aquila at level 65; now they're hitting max level before finishing Aquila.

Captain
Jan 17, 2012
Yup. I know. I've seen other problems with promotion quests, such as the second promotion quest for Bonnie, where M talks about the ongoing war....that we have yet to start.

It isn't just that pirates are reaching higher levels earlier. The real problem occurs when you keep your companions at the same level as your pirate, which is not hard to do when you can send them all brawlin' and keel haulin'.

Captain
Jan 17, 2012
A lot of it I think was the addition of the lengthened quests on Bloody Shoals, which added at least two levels to your pirate very early.

I liked this, as it made it easier to play further levels, but between that and the offline missions you send your companions on, companions are hitting levels earlier than originally anticipated. I get promotion quests that require me to go to Monquista, before I have a windstone for that. Then to Cool Ranch before I have the windstone for that, etc. I don't mind waiting until I get there to do it, but the quest should be designed to assume your pirate will take it on as soon as that area becomes available.

With "Bob's Your Uncle", it all takes place in Skull Island. Which means you can start it as soon as you get it.
Okay, fine, but then don't assume I have a companion that I could only have recently acquired, if then.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Max DeGroot on Dec 3, 2016 wrote:
A lot of it I think was the addition of the lengthened quests on Bloody Shoals, which added at least two levels to your pirate very early.

I liked this, as it made it easier to play further levels, but between that and the offline missions you send your companions on, companions are hitting levels earlier than originally anticipated. I get promotion quests that require me to go to Monquista, before I have a windstone for that. Then to Cool Ranch before I have the windstone for that, etc. I don't mind waiting until I get there to do it, but the quest should be designed to assume your pirate will take it on as soon as that area becomes available.

With "Bob's Your Uncle", it all takes place in Skull Island. Which means you can start it as soon as you get it.
Okay, fine, but then don't assume I have a companion that I could only have recently acquired, if then.
I know what you mean, Max. On my alternate account I have two pirates who have hit or will hit the max level before they are half way through Aquila. Which means that the companions they recruit after that level will be above max.
You absolutely nailed the "problem" ( if it is a problem? ) players are leveling faster and earlier than those who played in the first year of P101. Add to that those players who do every single side quest - we're seeing a hoard of over-leveled "super pirates"!
I hope that this doesn't mean an over the top increase of difficulty for the higher levels ( like W101. )

Captain
Jan 17, 2012
anecorbie on Dec 3, 2016 wrote:
I know what you mean, Max. On my alternate account I have two pirates who have hit or will hit the max level before they are half way through Aquila. Which means that the companions they recruit after that level will be above max.
You absolutely nailed the "problem" ( if it is a problem? ) players are leveling faster and earlier than those who played in the first year of P101. Add to that those players who do every single side quest - we're seeing a hoard of over-leveled "super pirates"!
I hope that this doesn't mean an over the top increase of difficulty for the higher levels ( like W101. )
Oh, PLEASE no...

I have taken a wizard from Ravenwood to Dragonspire and won, then when I hit Celestia suddenly I could not even take on the creatures wandering about. Same with Hrundle Fjord.

I think I now have three wizards waiting at that point without any ability to go further.

Captain
Feb 11, 2010
I can agree with your problem now, as my musketeer has just become level 40, and she's not even in Mooshu yet. With that, she JUST recruited El Toro and now has his promotion quest to deal with. Though I have been doing all the side quests on this character as well, the lengthening of the Blood Shoals quests can definitely bring in some elements of the game too early for some players to access, in this case, required access to Mooshu before you're even done with Cool Ranch.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Max DeGroot on Dec 5, 2016 wrote:
Oh, PLEASE no...

I have taken a wizard from Ravenwood to Dragonspire and won, then when I hit Celestia suddenly I could not even take on the creatures wandering about. Same with Hrundle Fjord.

I think I now have three wizards waiting at that point without any ability to go further.
Would you like some help in Celestia? Just let me know: server, day and time, including zone and I can meet with you. My Death Wizard is at level 98 and is stuck in Khrysalis ( I would be glad for the extra exp. )

Captain
Jan 17, 2012
anecorbie on Dec 6, 2016 wrote:
Would you like some help in Celestia? Just let me know: server, day and time, including zone and I can meet with you. My Death Wizard is at level 98 and is stuck in Khrysalis ( I would be glad for the extra exp. )
I would, but let me get stuff done on Pirate101 first. I have one pirate at level 70 at the beginning of Valencia II and I want to get them all to that point, and completely full of loot before I go back to Wizard.

That may take me the rest of 2017, honestly, since I spend a lot of time between levels getting my companions up to my pirate's level.