Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

What's next for witchdoctors?

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Jul 12, 2016
So here it is, the infamous witchdoctor post I've been saying I'd write in game for about 2 weeks now! As most of us know, the witch hunter buff greatly nerfed witchdoctors when versing melee classes like swashbuckler and (this to the greatest extent) buccaneers. This greatly defines the role a witchdoctor has as the "potent at long range yet weak at short range" attacker. Yet as with any nerf, witchdoctor now needs a significant buff in order to stay competitive, especially in ranked, where more than half of the players run buck due to the arguably broken tide/blade storm buffs it got last october. I'll just give some ideas on what I, a witch doctor, think are some reasonable and balanced solutions. Also quite a few of these have already been mentioned, so this is also a compilation of those suggestions.

First, witch hunter needs to not trigger epics. As it is, this is the only response epic that anyone can train that triggers on only one class's powers. Changing the power like so would balance the adjacency reduce effect, and would also make soul shroud, the only real counter to the witch hunt reduce, a lot more viable for pvp.

Second, Ratbeard has stated before that he will add more witchdoctor powers to keep enemies back and defend ourselves when they get close. If the new Ashes of the Armada pack's accessory was a first try of that, its a good step in the right direction. However, I think we should stay away from super powerful summons like Angry Orchards or Scorpions to add to witchdoctors, as many people are already under the impression that witch needs broken powers like that to win. Giving witchdoctors powers like these doesn't help, but only hurts us in the long run due to its tendency to ruin skill as the witchdoctor grows to rely on those powers to win. We should have more trained summons though, (our level 70 badge is Summoner!) so give us at least a couple summon sets more like the hoplites, with about 700 health, one or 2 key epics to keep the enemy at bay, and a reduced damage potential to keep it balanced; summons should not be our main source of damage, but they should be a key witchdoctor trait. P.s. buffing the hoplites epic from vengeance strike to hold the line would be great!

Lastly, it would be nice to get charm back. I understand how hard it is to fix it, which is why it is 3rd on the list. But each class has a signature power, and as the witch hunter buff basically nerfs our mojo reaver, witchdoctor really needs some love here . I guess its really not too much of a big deal, but its been on the docket ever since ranked got released. So perhaps the devs could think about it in the future once this busy season comes to a close?

Anyways, thanks for reading this post, I really think these suggestions offer a good fix to the problems witch hunter has created to the already fragile balance of the current meta.

Admiral
Jul 07, 2013
Ratbeard I always wondered, what do you think that when players feel that when they lose because of a certain power they think, well it must not be me the power must be "broken"?

Virtuous Dante Ramsey