Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Dead Mike Question

AuthorMessage
Gunner's Mate
Jan 27, 2011
I LOVE Dead Mike, by far my absolute FAVORITE Companion in the game (across all Classes). But, I don't know what would be a good Talent pool for him. I have his Epics the way I like (Riposte 2, Vengeance Strike 2, Second Chance 2, Blade Storm 2), but as for his Stats I'm still having a bit of a hard time keeping him alive, since he's a Bucc that plays like a Swash (and since his Armor is terribly low compared to most other Bucc Companions).

What I have now is:
Rough 4
Strong 4
Armored 4
Tough 4

I'm thinking about swapping Tough for Dodgy, so as to play better with his Riposte BUT considering how low his Armor is I don't know if that's such a wise choice. Anybody want to lend me a hand? Thanks in advance!

Petty Officer
Dec 26, 2012
Personally, I use:
  • Rough 4
  • Strong 4
  • Accurate 4
  • Dodgy 4

With Vengeance Strike 3, Bladestorm 2 and Riposte 3. The reason being for this, is that despite Second Chance being EXTREMELY helpful for Buccaneers, when you get Riposte then miss and then hit with Second Chance, the damage multiplier resets and you don't get any bonus damage . So to compensate for this issue, I use Accurate to help negate this problem. And Vengeance Strike 3 is really good for control against other Melee opponents. As for Bladestorm, it's a must for Buccaneers imo because it helps them chain hits easier (especially with critical strikes).

His lack of armor is an issue, but I think you should focus more on his strengths rather his weaknesses because if you focus more on his downsides, you'll end up hindering him from his true potential. Vengeance Strike is really good for playing aggressive and for maintaining control, Riposte is rare for Buccaneers but is really rewarding once you boost him, and he's really great against other Buccaneers due to them having mediocre accuracy which helps trigger Riposte/Vengeance more. If none of this works for you, then I suggest probably shielding him more.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Nightblood1995 on Oct 20, 2016 wrote:
I LOVE Dead Mike, by far my absolute FAVORITE Companion in the game (across all Classes). But, I don't know what would be a good Talent pool for him. I have his Epics the way I like (Riposte 2, Vengeance Strike 2, Second Chance 2, Blade Storm 2), but as for his Stats I'm still having a bit of a hard time keeping him alive, since he's a Bucc that plays like a Swash (and since his Armor is terribly low compared to most other Bucc Companions).

What I have now is:
Rough 4
Strong 4
Armored 4
Tough 4

I'm thinking about swapping Tough for Dodgy, so as to play better with his Riposte BUT considering how low his Armor is I don't know if that's such a wise choice. Anybody want to lend me a hand? Thanks in advance!
No Accuracy? My advice is to switch Rough for Dodgy, that way he's covered in both categories. Keep the Strength for the damage.

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
Hi Nightblood. The reason you are having trouble keeping Dead Mike alive is because he is, you know, Dead Mike... In terms of keeping him up and fightin', however, I do have a suggestion.

My general pattern for companions is:

maximize their accuracy
maximize their dodginess
maximize their combat stat (strength for buckies, agility for swashies, etc.)
maximize their toughness

So, if you are trouble keeping Dead Mike in the fight, I would recommend dropping the Rough and putting those points into Dodge (which goes nicely with the Riposte 2 you have given him).

Good luck! Apologies for making the obvious joke at the beginning of the post.

-Indigo

Gunner's Mate
Jan 27, 2011
Thanks guys, I think I know just what to do for him now. I was mainly confused because, well for Buccs you typically put Tough and Armored but since he has Riposte he plays very much like a Swash (in the sense of needing to block/dodge more than take hits, like most Buccs normally would). I didn't invest in Accuracy because I was more worried about his lack of defenses, which meant Muskets and Swashes and even other Buccs I feared would have too easy of a time against him. But if he's meant to be played more aggressively than other Buccs then that changes things completely.

Thanks again for your replies! I hit cap finally so I'll max him out and test out the new build. You guys rock!