Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Doomspell not activating

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Jun 06, 2010
I just put on the new Cinder King's Blade that grants the ability: Doomspell.
I then went into battle against the water moles in Devilfish Hollow and walked to a flanking position with Old Scratch on the other side of a watermole spearman. I successfully attacked with the slashy knife but doomspell did not activate.

I believe there is a problem with the game thinking that the slashy/staffy weapon counts as a melee weapon, so doomspell will not activate when holding it. But then it would be useless for that exact weapon to grant an ability that the nature of the weapon does not allow to activate!

Please fix this, KingsIsle. I want this weapon to work!

(I've also noticed in the past that holding a shooty/stabby weapon does not allow Overwatch to activate because it also counts as a melee weapon and not a ranged weapon, please fix this too)

Developer
Sano Musa on Oct 20, 2016 wrote:
I just put on the new Cinder King's Blade that grants the ability: Doomspell.
I then went into battle against the water moles in Devilfish Hollow and walked to a flanking position with Old Scratch on the other side of a watermole spearman. I successfully attacked with the slashy knife but doomspell did not activate.

I believe there is a problem with the game thinking that the slashy/staffy weapon counts as a melee weapon, so doomspell will not activate when holding it. But then it would be useless for that exact weapon to grant an ability that the nature of the weapon does not allow to activate!

Please fix this, KingsIsle. I want this weapon to work!

(I've also noticed in the past that holding a shooty/stabby weapon does not allow Overwatch to activate because it also counts as a melee weapon and not a ranged weapon, please fix this too)
The part of the logic that is failing in your attempted setup is that you are a melee attacker and Old Scratch is a magic attacker.

Combo weapons, despite their name, must be classified as one type of weapon or the other.

We can make some things work as if the weapon were both types, but not everything.

If you are using a slashy/staffy weapon, try your Doomspell talent while flanking with a melee companion (instead of Old Scratch).

If that *also* doesn't work, let me know.

Ensign
Jun 06, 2010
Thank you, Ratbeard.
Treating Doomspell as a melee Flanking ability made it activate. I was just assuming that since it was a staffy ability that I had to flank with a magic user. Flanking with a melee companion activated the ability.

Is there anything you can do about making Overwatch work with the Stabby/Shooty combination? Thanks.

Developer
It's not that Doomspell is a "melee" flanking ability. It's that you are wielding a melee weapon.

Doomspell is a Flanking ability. All flanking abilities require you to flank with an ally of the same combat type-- melee to melee, ranged to ranged, magic to magic.

Doomspell will also work for you if you switch to a wand and then flank with a magic-type ally.

And it will work if you switch to a shooty-staffy and flank with a gunfighter ally.

I believe (I'm at home, so this is from memory) that the heirarchy of combo weapons is melee, ranged, magic. That is to say, anything that contains a melee component is a melee weapon because melee takes priority; then ranged; then magic.