Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

An Insane Bane of Kane

AuthorMessage
Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Hello fine folks of the message boards. I've been on a posting hiatus lately but thought I would at least share with you all that I finally achieved the Bane of Kane badge....and all by way of solo runs. And all done as a Buccaneer.

I know soloing Kane is old news (especially on the heels of the new Test Realm), but I thought that if there were some out there that thought it to be near impossible, this may help them see that-- in the wise words of an acquaintance of Bobby Boucher--"You can do it!!!"

So yes, I completed 100 solo runs of Kane...as a Buccaneer. Well, actually I ported in to some friends once when they were a couple of rounds from mopping up the Court...but the other 99 runs were all done solo (and I did one extra run to make up for it). Now I just have to make up about a dozen runs to account for the times I used henchmen. In the first 20 runs, I used henchmen in 10-12 battles as I figured out how to tackle Kane and his maniacal, mechanical misfits. I never went into Test to try it out and only first attempted the instance about 1-1 1/2 months after it went live.

Now why would someone subject themselves to such madness. Well first off, I just wanted to embrace the challenge after I had read someone post on the boards that all classes could solo the fight...except for Buccaneers. So naturally I had to give it a try. I'm sure many other Buccs have soloed it by now (EDIT-- looks like only 6 Buccs so far), but I wanted to earn the Bane of Kane entirely solo. Another reason for trying to earn the badge solo was that I was experiencing a nasty crash that appeared during that final battle (once every 10-15 attempts) that caused my PC to freeze and would instantly end a run at Kane. Naturally I didn't want to subject any other players to the possibility of me crashing and ruining their run...so I just pressed on solo. Still working with P101 Support and the tech team to figure out the cause of the crash-- but they've been great.

It was actually quite fun and I got to know a lot about our pirates' most powerful enemy. Had I never issued the challenge to myself, I would have never known that Kane likes raspberry tea, Skittles and an occasional foot message!!! He even secretly told me who he was voting for President...but I'll never tell!

Ah, "it was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness..."

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Oct 3, 2016 wrote:
Hello fine folks of the message boards. I've been on a posting hiatus lately but thought I would at least share with you all that I finally achieved the Bane of Kane badge....and all by way of solo runs. And all done as a Buccaneer.

I know soloing Kane is old news (especially on the heels of the new Test Realm), but I thought that if there were some out there that thought it to be near impossible, this may help them see that-- in the wise words of an acquaintance of Bobby Boucher--"You can do it!!!"

So yes, I completed 100 solo runs of Kane...as a Buccaneer. Well, actually I ported in to some friends once when they were a couple of rounds from mopping up the Court...but the other 99 runs were all done solo (and I did one extra run to make up for it). Now I just have to make up about a dozen runs to account for the times I used henchmen. In the first 20 runs, I used henchmen in 10-12 battles as I figured out how to tackle Kane and his maniacal, mechanical misfits. I never went into Test to try it out and only first attempted the instance about 1-1 1/2 months after it went live.

Now why would someone subject themselves to such madness. Well first off, I just wanted to embrace the challenge after I had read someone post on the boards that all classes could solo the fight...except for Buccaneers. So naturally I had to give it a try. I'm sure many other Buccs have soloed it by now (EDIT-- looks like only 6 Buccs so far), but I wanted to earn the Bane of Kane entirely solo. Another reason for trying to earn the badge solo was that I was experiencing a nasty crash that appeared during that final battle (once every 10-15 attempts) that caused my PC to freeze and would instantly end a run at Kane. Naturally I didn't want to subject any other players to the possibility of me crashing and ruining their run...so I just pressed on solo. Still working with P101 Support and the tech team to figure out the cause of the crash-- but they've been great.

It was actually quite fun and I got to know a lot about our pirates' most powerful enemy. Had I never issued the challenge to myself, I would have never known that Kane likes raspberry tea, Skittles and an occasional foot message!!! He even secretly told me who he was voting for President...but I'll never tell!

Ah, "it was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness..."
Stands up and cheers!!!
According to Vadima's Visions you are one of six buccaneers to solo Kane! I think, though, we must have a category just for you - to solo Kane a hundred times is amazing!
Congratulations, my friend!

Admiral
Jul 07, 2013
anecorbie on Oct 4, 2016 wrote:
Stands up and cheers!!!
According to Vadima's Visions you are one of six buccaneers to solo Kane! I think, though, we must have a category just for you - to solo Kane a hundred times is amazing!
I am one of 4 privateers? That is shocking. I thought there would be more.

Virtuous Dante Ramsey

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
anecorbie on Oct 4, 2016 wrote:
Stands up and cheers!!!
Why thank ye kindly, Esperanza!

Yeah, I was actually quite surprised to see Vadima's numbers revealed. I thought for sure that quite a bit more than 38 players have soloed Kane (without henchies). And I was equally surprised to see the breakdown by class-- over twice as many Muskets in comparison to most other classes. And actually I think they do have a special category for what I accomplished...hence the "Insane" part-- not insane as in the "oh, cool" version, but instead insane as in actually "loco".

It was fun though and even towards the end I actually looked forward to each run and seeing if the "luck scale" would be tipped in my favor...or towards the favor of those other goons. I was always amazed at how I could have 2 or 3 runs in a row without facing much danger of even losing a companion, and then the next run I would lose 2 in one round (thanks to a very moody Queen) or even get wiped out 3 times in a row, before finally obtaining victory. In this particular instance, the unpredictable nature of calculated randomness (though often producing moments of shear angst) actually made each run seem fairly new and fresh!

Thanks again and congrats to you on being 1 of 9 Swashies to single-handedly buckle the Court's knees!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
DuranteRamses87 on Oct 5, 2016 wrote:

Virtuous Dante Ramsey
That just proves how awesome you are. Go

Petty Officer
Mar 31, 2016
I'm also one of the 6 witches to beat him. Instead of henchmen I just summoned minions as distractions and mojo stormed them from afar.

Also a bit shocked there were so few to solo kane. Granted it's a hard fight, but still pretty surprising how few of us managed.

Congratulations though Valkoor! I can't imagine how tough the fight was as a buccaneer, and 100 times too!

Captain
Jun 26, 2010
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Oct 3, 2016 wrote:

Very impressive brother, I expect nothing less from such a Brilliant Buccaneer.

- Deadeye Jack Morgan

- Deadeye Edward Morgan

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
CuriousWitch on Oct 5, 2016 wrote:
I'm also one of the 6 witches to beat him. Instead of henchmen I just summoned minions as distractions and mojo stormed them from afar.

Also a bit shocked there were so few to solo kane. Granted it's a hard fight, but still pretty surprising how few of us managed.

Congratulations though Valkoor! I can't imagine how tough the fight was as a buccaneer, and 100 times too!
Congratulations! It is very impressive that you did this; considering the constraints that Rooke & Kane put upon a WD, as well as Bishop's Witch Hunter.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
CuriousWitch on Oct 5, 2016 wrote:

Why that is just plain AWESOME!!! Congrats on being only 1 of 6 Witchies to cast a spell on Kane and his crew!!! That's a pretty impressive feat. And like you I thought that the numbers would have been a little bit higher with how many players there are out there in the vast Spiral. But it's pretty cool to have the numbers a bit lower and to know that you accomplished something that not many players have been able to do.

So again, congrats to you and thank you very much! It was a challenge but one that I rather enjoyed (yeah, I'm a bit crazy like that)

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
jack morgan933 on Oct 5, 2016 wrote:
Very impressive brother, I expect nothing less from such a Brilliant Buccaneer.

- Deadeye Jack Morgan

- Deadeye Edward Morgan
Hey thanks there, Jack my friend! I appreciate the kind words as always. A Buccaneer's gotta do, what a Buccaneer has gotta do.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
DuranteRamses87 on Oct 5, 2016 wrote:

Virtuous Dante Ramsey
SWEET Privy destruction of Kane and Company, Dante!! Congrats on being 1 of only 4-- I knew you had it in you! Job well done and you make the Privateer community proud.

Petty Officer
Mar 31, 2016
anecorbie on Oct 5, 2016 wrote:
Congratulations! It is very impressive that you did this; considering the constraints that Rooke & Kane put upon a WD, as well as Bishop's Witch Hunter.
Thank you, you too! Congratulations on being on of the few swashbucklers to best him as well!

Rooke and Bishop were quite irritating to deal with, I get a second witch hunter epic from my pet, so it was just back and forth witch hunter until I defeated him. The scorpion swarm summon I use really helped in the fight as well, in the end it was just me and my old scratch standing!

Petty Officer
Mar 31, 2016
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Oct 6, 2016 wrote:
Why that is just plain AWESOME!!! Congrats on being only 1 of 6 Witchies to cast a spell on Kane and his crew!!! That's a pretty impressive feat. And like you I thought that the numbers would have been a little bit higher with how many players there are out there in the vast Spiral. But it's pretty cool to have the numbers a bit lower and to know that you accomplished something that not many players have been able to do.

So again, congrats to you and thank you very much! It was a challenge but one that I rather enjoyed (yeah, I'm a bit crazy like that)
Thanks so much! I wanted to attempt to solo him because I felt like I could (and there were no other people to join my team at the time ). While the distractions really helped, it was hard knowing who to hit first after I defeated queen. Bishop kinda ended up killing himself by my witch hunter epics, Deacon isn't that much of a threat, I would say Rooke was probably the most annoying to deal with. At the end I barely made it out of there, so I can only imagine doing it 100 times! you deserve your own badge for that one, congratulations once again!

Gunner's Mate
Oct 22, 2015
So does soloing kane mean you beat it with no friends or you beat it with no friends and no companions? If it's the former I beat it the first try only because of a glitch. Do what happened was I died within the first minute because my companions were dead and I thought we would end up redeeming kane so I didn't heal them. Anyway after being totally unprepared for the fight, I died and logged off for the day to try again the next day. When I came back with my healed companions, the quest to defeat kane was gone and was replaced with "talk to captain avery". I went to him to find that apparently I had beaten him and the only consequence of the glitch was Thai didn't get the satisfaction of beating kane and I missed any dialogue also. Sorry for going off topic but if soloing just means beating it without friends then I might (bur probably not) be one of the few swashbucklers to solo kane?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Pirate101 fan on Oct 6, 2016 wrote:
So does soloing kane mean you beat it with no friends or you beat it with no friends and no companions? If it's the former I beat it the first try only because of a glitch. Do what happened was I died within the first minute because my companions were dead and I thought we would end up redeeming kane so I didn't heal them. Anyway after being totally unprepared for the fight, I died and logged off for the day to try again the next day. When I came back with my healed companions, the quest to defeat kane was gone and was replaced with "talk to captain avery". I went to him to find that apparently I had beaten him and the only consequence of the glitch was Thai didn't get the satisfaction of beating kane and I missed any dialogue also. Sorry for going off topic but if soloing just means beating it without friends then I might (bur probably not) be one of the few swashbucklers to solo kane?
No, that was an old glitch from test realm. Being defeated by Kane then getting the prompt to talk to Avery.
Going solo means no other pirate captains or henchmen, just you and your companions.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Pirate101 fan on Oct 6, 2016 wrote:
Truly soloing Kane means that you actually engaged in the fight-- without friends, without henchmen and without a glitch aiding you, without cheat engines-- and you were able to defeat Kane and his Court with your pirate, crew. So, I don't think Vadima's vision really takes into account when a glitch results in a victory. Though even if her vision does include that kind of "victory", the players don't really view it as a soloing of the instance.

That's cool that the glitch worked out in your favor though, and best of luck to you if you give soloing Kane another try!

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
CuriousWitch on Oct 6, 2016 wrote:
Thanks so much! I wanted to attempt to solo him because I felt like I could (and there were no other people to join my team at the time ). While the distractions really helped, it was hard knowing who to hit first after I defeated queen. Bishop kinda ended up killing himself by my witch hunter epics, Deacon isn't that much of a threat, I would say Rooke was probably the most annoying to deal with. At the end I barely made it out of there, so I can only imagine doing it 100 times! you deserve your own badge for that one, congratulations once again!
You're quite welcome

I can imagine how tough Rooke would be to tackle, playing as a Witchdoctor. He's pretty easy to combat with a Buccaneer by just letting him attack your Bucc and then letting your Epic chains (and VS3) do the work. Of course, heavy shielding and buffs help the cause a wee bit. Just moving out of range of Kane, but still in Rooke's attack range, and letting Rooke come to you for a few rounds always sealed his demise. Bishop and Deacon were extremely easy for a Buccaneer, as well. If buffed, one attack and the ensuing chain usually can finish each of them in one turn. Queen was always fairly easy...but only providing she didn't go on a Crit and Dodge rampage. Vengeance Strike 3 usually stunned her and your buffed chains/Crits could finish her in one round-- or just send in a buffed, Forted Quint and he would make easy work of her.

Hardest part for a Buccaneer was getting Kane's health down low enough, throughout the battle, that you could safely attack him and finish him off before he got his chance to Deadly Frenzy your Buccaneer into the dirt-- lack of high Dodge can brutal for a Bucc facing Kane. That's were Gracie's mine and the Blood Flames helped a great deal. But usually my Bucc could finish him one on one if Kane was at or below half-health, providing I scored some Crits during the ensuing chain.

But luck always plays a big part and sometimes you were at the good end....and some times, not so much!! As I stated in the OP, it was amazing how I could defeat him without losing a single companion in one run and then in the next run get decimated by what appeared to be a highly caffeinated Queen who just consumed an entire case of Energy drinks. Yeah, random luck (good and bad) could sway that battle into a plethora of directions.

But when farming him so many times, you kind of learn how to at least influence/encourage the winds of luck to bend more so in your direction.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
All you guys just impress the socks off of me so much that I may have to change my name to 'The Barefoot Pirate'.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Oct 10, 2016 wrote:
All you guys just impress the socks off of me so much that I may have to change my name to 'The Barefoot Pirate'.
Cap'n Crunch had an enemy in the early commercials - Jean Le Foote "The Barefoot Pirate"

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
anecorbie on Oct 10, 2016 wrote:
Cap'n Crunch had an enemy in the early commercials - Jean Le Foote "The Barefoot Pirate"
Oh my goodness you are right. I forgot all about him. Nice memory.