Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

keep our parents out of the story from now on

AuthorMessage
First Mate
Sep 13, 2010
Merciless Richard ... on Aug 26, 2016 wrote:
Did some in real life problems transfer into the game?! O. O
no my parents are fine. tbh my dad seems a little emotionally shallow and i have conflicting political views with both of them. but they don't give me dumb advice like jenny and that other guy.

our pirate has like no personal relationship with their parents. the character development is seriously lacking next to their dramatic effect on the story.

jack's erratic mood swings in his promo were alright, but ratbeard almost crying in the kane dungeon was the tipping point. totally triggered rn.

i just can't feel an emotional connection with these imaginary parents but i could just be insensitive. i only cry like 3 times a year on average.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
AndrewDeathblade11... on Aug 27, 2016 wrote:
no my parents are fine. tbh my dad seems a little emotionally shallow and i have conflicting political views with both of them. but they don't give me dumb advice like jenny and that other guy.

our pirate has like no personal relationship with their parents. the character development is seriously lacking next to their dramatic effect on the story.

jack's erratic mood swings in his promo were alright, but ratbeard almost crying in the kane dungeon was the tipping point. totally triggered rn.

i just can't feel an emotional connection with these imaginary parents but i could just be insensitive. i only cry like 3 times a year on average.
Luke Skywalker had no connection to his true parents, either, but that became very important to the storyline/unending re-telling of the Star Wars franchise. Ratbeard was crying, not because of our parents ( supposed ) release from earthly ( Spirally? ) connection, but because of his admiration for all we've done and the trials we've passed ( Not to mention how we turned his life around ).
Please be more courteous toward your fellow posters.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
AndrewDeathblade11... on Aug 27, 2016 wrote:

Sorry, I meant that last part of my post to be directed @ Merciless Richard.

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
anecorbie on Aug 18, 2016 wrote:
It is tragic to lose your mother at an early age ( and by violent methods as well ). Who said she was pure and innocent? She was a pirate for gosh sakes! She mutinied against Captain Hande, stole his treasure and cut off his hand! Does that sound pure and innocent?
Plus, if you look at that cave where she used to live, you'll notice that there's a skeleton in chains hanging off a stalagmite! A former victim of our piratical parents, no doubt, and they left him hanging there!
Still, she could have been a "good" person ( the way Captain Avery is "good" ).
Go ahead and PVP, some of us like a good story line.
Indeed, it is a great story line. I quite liked the complexity of our mother's backstory. We already knew from our Presedio Companion that our parents were good, brave people, people to be proud of. And with the tragedy of losing our parents at a young age, it is not at all surprising that we would idolize them.

This sentiment is expressed very well by Harry Potter, who also mirrors well real life. In real life, I am a parent by adoption. My eldest child in middle childhood, when she was angry or upset would express that "my birth mother would never ...(fill in blank with anything you like)!" To her, the parent she never knew was perfect. (her sister, I might point out, had a far more practical view!)

Unlike my kids in real life, our pirate did know their parents from hazy, happy memories of early childhood (never mind that those are gone now!), which would only enhance their almost mythological quality.

And then, like Harry Potter finding out that his teenage dad could really be a nasty person at times, we find out that our beloved mother had the proverbial "feet of clay". She didn't always behave well, and she did not always do the right thing.

One lovely thing about Pirate101 is how enough detail is given to give an interesting, sympathetic player character, but one with plenty of wiggle room to imagine your own variation. So for Anne Radcliffe, the idealistic, wanna-be hero, yet who has also been called a 'scoundrel' (with justification!), what she has learned about her mother has given her a lot of food for thought. She rejoices in the diaries, reading how her parents loved her baby self, but struggles with the knowledge that mom could be violent and greedy (a true pirate, really).

And Anne wonders, if mom & dad survived, what kind of person would she be, if she had not been raised by the Ninja Pigs who instilled in her such a strong sense of honor and duty?