Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Companions that aren't good enough

AuthorMessage
Lieutenant
Jun 08, 2009
I know I've posted this several times and many others have as well but why can't other companions get reworked like Emmet and Scratch did? There are so many companions that have become silly to use because they lack a decent amount of epics, their stats are too low and at most only have 1 super strike going for them?

Come on the Orchard summons from the fall champion weapon get 3 power cards a epic, super and mega strike but my platypus slingman doesn't even have 1 card power at level 70 and only 3 epics what's up with that :c i know that not all companions are meant to be equal but if so many companions got different powers and could fill some sort of Niche Role that would do so much for the game and make pvp soo much more interesting

Captain
Feb 11, 2010
I posted something like this a while ago too. I agree, why can't all companions be good to use? During Valencia 2, I found myself forced to use only companions like El Toro and Sarah when I absolutely detest using them. I'd like to see changes happen to these side companions, maybe some pay-to-promote promotions, or some powers added to those who can really use them.

Petty Officer
Jan 03, 2010
Sunny Wolf on Jul 12, 2016 wrote:
I know I've posted this several times and many others have as well but why can't other companions get reworked like Emmet and Scratch did? There are so many companions that have become silly to use because they lack a decent amount of epics, their stats are too low and at most only have 1 super strike going for them?

Come on the Orchard summons from the fall champion weapon get 3 power cards a epic, super and mega strike but my platypus slingman doesn't even have 1 card power at level 70 and only 3 epics what's up with that :c i know that not all companions are meant to be equal but if so many companions got different powers and could fill some sort of Niche Role that would do so much for the game and make pvp soo much more interesting
I don't think it is arguable that a lot companions are immediately shoved straight to your "order crew". There are generally other companions that shine brighter with better stats and viability due to amount of epics and/or useful powers.

I don't think of this as a real "issue" per say, but one of those things that "just is". Naturally, the heat of competition would make you choose companion x over companion y because companion x was more useful in the long run, yes?

In terms of new powers, like scratch and emmett's, I couldn't agree more. Contessa, for example, was originally on my "second tier" line of companoins, though her usefulness with her unique powers eventually made me move her to my "main crew". Another good example is Gracie with her Golem and Mine, though not having THE most ideal epic selection (minimal rank 3s), her powers can really prove their worth with more consistency than say a glass canon (sorry fan, you do go down rather easily my dear).

The one spot where I somewhat disagree though is where you mention "niche roles". I personally like using a wide variety of companions and different teams that I can make viable by making my PIRATE adjust play to fill in the weak spots of any given team I'll use.

I don't think companions are AS MUCH a factor than adaptation with your pirate, though at the same time I too would very much like to see a broadened horizon of powers with companions (since filling niches is honestly a completely different ball park IMO).

Overall though, yes, I'd love to see more Bosun Budds and Doctor Nohs, as opposed to Weasel Gamblers and Chicken Miners (though they do make great mascots I must say, even if it's not particularly "ideal" to be a good mascot than a good first page pick I would think).

-Your fellow companion nerd,
Noble Wolf Hawkins

Lieutenant
Aug 17, 2014
I agree completely, Mustang Sally( wife of El Toro) doesn't get more than a epic strike she plays an important role in the game, she should be much better.

Lieutenant
May 09, 2013
Here's a companion that could use some love: monkey king

Here's an idea I had to make him more fun to use (only works in pve though):

Doppelganger - Monkey king creates a copy of himself with the same health, strength, dodge, etc. However this copy cannot attack or use any powers; it can only move. This would be useful for creating fodder for enemies to attack and would also fit the 'celestial trickster' aspect of monkey king.

I will keep my gears turning for other ideas... Froggo villa is not a main line character by any means, but he looks too epic to not have some epic powers...

Actually, about the doppelganger ability, to make it viable in pvp you could add a mechanic where when the doppelganger is created, you have the choice of which square to put him on OR you could move monkey king to that square and have the doppelganger take monkey king's original spot. If your opponent hits the doppelganger, they are 'bamboozled' and cannot deal any damage to monkey king for the next turn in any way shape or form.

Post your ideas for companions too!

Ensign
Jun 12, 2016
CaptainBlackWolfBo... on Jul 12, 2016 wrote:
I posted something like this a while ago too. I agree, why can't all companions be good to use? During Valencia 2, I found myself forced to use only companions like El Toro and Sarah when I absolutely detest using them. I'd like to see changes happen to these side companions, maybe some pay-to-promote promotions, or some powers added to those who can really use them.
"Why can't all companions be good to use?"

Welcome to the world, my friend. It's about as perfect as a dry ... wait, where am I going with this? Never mind.

Anyways, there are how many companions in the game? With a roster as big as that, some companions are going to be op or useless. It's just the way the world works.

Same goes for rex1556's comment.

Lieutenant
Jun 08, 2009
I would personally Buy a ton more companions if they were better look at goronado just about anyone that's serious about pvp bought him even tho he costs like 7000+ crowns If they made more companions as good as him i'm sure tons of other people would buy more and help sustain the game even more

Petty Officer
Nov 21, 2012
Definitely. It would be amazing to see some new, unique, and usable powers given to these useless little side companions. No one likes using the same guys over and over again, and with harder fights coming, that's the very thing we're being forced to do. Even if they aren't unique, I think it'd be great if some Buccaneer companions started getting some low-tier Buccaneer powers (same with all other classes).