Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

All quests that involve sinking ships

AuthorMessage
Gunner's Mate
Sep 04, 2018
and/or fighting sea creatures ought to give nautical as a reward in addition to whatever else it currently gives. There are so many quests that involve sinking ships that don't give nautical as a reward and most suffer from having nautical levels way under their character levels unless they constantly stop to farm ships for nautical.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Honestly, there is NO reason for a player to suffer from a low nautical level. just placing a few companions on Sailin" ( & perhaps giving them at least one rank in Cannoneering ) will allow a player to have the experience needed. And without grinding.

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
Sinking ships for a quest gives Nautical experience from the act of ship sinking - you want more on top of that?

The only reason pirates suffer from being under-leveled nautically is because they aren't paying attention. Once they realize they need to maintain their nautical or struggle, it's not that hard at all to gain nautical levels.

Gunner's Mate
Sep 04, 2018
Willowydream on Aug 22, 2019 wrote:
Sinking ships for a quest gives Nautical experience from the act of ship sinking - you want more on top of that?

The only reason pirates suffer from being under-leveled nautically is because they aren't paying attention. Once they realize they need to maintain their nautical or struggle, it's not that hard at all to gain nautical levels.

Since I do side quests, I get 1 nautical experience point per ship I sink during quite a lot of sinking ships quests, other times I may get around 50 which is still insanely low. Since such quests often don't give nautical as reward and since character level advances and is rewarded better than nautical, I can't keep my nautical up to character even when sending companions constantly out on nautical quests while intentionally keeping their return times short. I end up going to skyways one or two worlds higher to catch my nautical back up.

I was talking to one near max level player just yesterday in the game his nautical was in the low 40's while his character level was at 66. If you do everything other than go to higher worlds to constantly sink ships like I do your nautical level simply doesn't keep up with player, if you don't do that stuff its no where close to player level. Of course if you don't ever really play the game and log in every day just to collect nautical experience from companion quests your nautical might catch up to your character, but once you hit late Mooshu and higher worlds and actually do some quests your character level still ought to outstrip your nautical level by quite a lot in very short time.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Takhethis on Aug 23, 2019 wrote:
Since I do side quests, I get 1 nautical experience point per ship I sink during quite a lot of sinking ships quests, other times I may get around 50 which is still insanely low. Since such quests often don't give nautical as reward and since character level advances and is rewarded better than nautical, I can't keep my nautical up to character even when sending companions constantly out on nautical quests while intentionally keeping their return times short. I end up going to skyways one or two worlds higher to catch my nautical back up.

I was talking to one near max level player just yesterday in the game his nautical was in the low 40's while his character level was at 66. If you do everything other than go to higher worlds to constantly sink ships like I do your nautical level simply doesn't keep up with player, if you don't do that stuff its no where close to player level. Of course if you don't ever really play the game and log in every day just to collect nautical experience from companion quests your nautical might catch up to your character, but once you hit late Mooshu and higher worlds and actually do some quests your character level still ought to outstrip your nautical level by quite a lot in very short time.
I don't know why other players aren't able to keep their nautical experience up. I make new pirates frequently ( nothing else for me to do, sadly ). And I'm able to keep those pirate's nautical levels at the very least 3 levels under my pirate's combat level.
What is going on here? How many of your companions are Sailin'? How many have a rank ( or more ) in Cannoneering? Do you assign extra companions to Sailin' as a log-off? You should begin aggressively maintaining nautical levels as soon as your companions hit level 8. At level 11 a pirate has 5-6 companions, setting them to Sailin' when you log-off will gather you the nautical needed when next you log-in to play.

There are also many land based quests that do give nautical experience.
* let there be ships!*

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
Takhethis on Aug 23, 2019 wrote:

If one did those same ship-sinking quests at the appropriate level rather than waiting until one is way too high, they would reward plenty of nautical experience as the pirate moves along the story. Unfortunately, "smart" players tell new players not to do side quests until they are maxed and other strange advice like that. Too many players are in a hurry to get to the end without thinking or planning. Many side quests that reward a pirate with Nautical Experience actually don't involve sinking ships at all, so if pirates did them, they would be much higher nautically.

Like you, I regularly see players sailing in the Achaean Way who are 20 levels below where they should be, asking for help with "grinding nautical" -- why? Because they think sinking ships is too hard/boring/takes too long/for noobs and many other reasons. They think they need to board and fight on deck, or they are using randomly bought equipment because they don't know they can get the best stuff from sinking ships. Boss ships appear in almost every skyway, and they can be farmed for both nautical experience and ship equipment.

Any time a pirate is sailing a Windlane and they see another pirate sinking a ship, they can throw in one hit and keep going on their way, and they will gain nautical experience and loot when the other player finishes the battle - did you know that? You do not need to stay. Do that often enough - help other pirates sink ships - and nautical experience would not be an issue.

[ship icon, ahoy!]

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Willowydream on Aug 26, 2019 wrote:
If one did those same ship-sinking quests at the appropriate level rather than waiting until one is way too high, they would reward plenty of nautical experience as the pirate moves along the story. Unfortunately, "smart" players tell new players not to do side quests until they are maxed and other strange advice like that. Too many players are in a hurry to get to the end without thinking or planning. Many side quests that reward a pirate with Nautical Experience actually don't involve sinking ships at all, so if pirates did them, they would be much higher nautically.

Like you, I regularly see players sailing in the Achaean Way who are 20 levels below where they should be, asking for help with "grinding nautical" -- why? Because they think sinking ships is too hard/boring/takes too long/for noobs and many other reasons. They think they need to board and fight on deck, or they are using randomly bought equipment because they don't know they can get the best stuff from sinking ships. Boss ships appear in almost every skyway, and they can be farmed for both nautical experience and ship equipment.

Any time a pirate is sailing a Windlane and they see another pirate sinking a ship, they can throw in one hit and keep going on their way, and they will gain nautical experience and loot when the other player finishes the battle - did you know that? You do not need to stay. Do that often enough - help other pirates sink ships - and nautical experience would not be an issue.

[ship icon, ahoy!]
This just proves to me that a ship tutorial & Advanced Companions tutorial is desperately need. By the time a player's nautical exp is 10 + under their combat exp. it is very hard to catch up.

That is why both Willowydream and I keep telling players: do those side quests at the level you receive them to get the best exp. and why we keep telling players to set companions on the Sailin' task, asap.
Even before advanced companions was implemented, I did those side quests and when I hit Aquila, I was only 8 nautical levels below my combat level, so I went back to Marleybone and hunted ships. Eventually ( & it didn't take long ) I had the correct Nautical for AQ.
But I was very thankful when the Advanced Companions patch went live!
*ship icon, plz*

Gunner's Mate
Feb 06, 2018
I hate attacking ship. Sure, when you defeat some, you might get some scrip from the floating thingies, but it's honestly tiresome and boring. Plus, the amount of ships they make you sink in one quest is annoying (six marleybone ships in tradewinds--20 minutes of gameplay I'll never get back) But Sailin' does help. I have three companions on Sailin. It helps. A lot.
Okay, but I must admit, I like broadside combat. Sinking ship for a little extra reward (only when I feel like it though) can be fun. Especially when you get some good booty...
And I do get really good equipment from ships...

Fair Taryn Lewis

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
glitterway123 on Sep 4, 2019 wrote:
I hate attacking ship. Sure, when you defeat some, you might get some scrip from the floating thingies, but it's honestly tiresome and boring. Plus, the amount of ships they make you sink in one quest is annoying (six marleybone ships in tradewinds--20 minutes of gameplay I'll never get back) But Sailin' does help. I have three companions on Sailin. It helps. A lot.
Okay, but I must admit, I like broadside combat. Sinking ship for a little extra reward (only when I feel like it though) can be fun. Especially when you get some good booty...
And I do get really good equipment from ships...

Fair Taryn Lewis
!0 Marleybone ships + 10 Clockwork ships, in Tradewinds And don't forget the side quest of sinking 12 Red Sash ships + 12 Wild Bunch ships!
All goes to your N.Exp!