Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

No Trade, Character Level Pets ... please make

AuthorMessage
Gunner's Mate
Sep 04, 2018
There are so many players who have trash pets at max level and some who don't even bother having a pet at all because they simply take forever to level up. My solution to all of this without harming already existent pets is to come out with what I call "No trade, Character level Pets".

The idea is that new pets should be added to the game, hopefully as drops at ends of dungeons such as Pirate Rigatta, Moo Manchu Tower, Kane, and key boss fights, or instead of pets perhaps a morphing potion that can be used by players when hatching.

A No trade, Character Level pet can't be fed or trained up in the normal manner, but instead is always the level of the player character hence the reason it can never be traded or placed into one's shared bank. So with one of these pet types if you are level 70 it instantly hatches at level 70. If players found like a pet character level potion there could be a potion slot to which it could be used in when a player goes to hatch, when hatched it gets used up. Such pets should cost differently to hatch than regular pets, and I suggest 2,000 gold per player level so at level 70 a player would need a potion plus 140,000 gold if they wish to hatch with this pet option and it would come out at level 70.

Dungeons don't really give us much to farm for, so getting these potions at the end would make them more worth our while.

Not everyone has one to three months or more to max out a single pet, especially when that pet is bound to fail in its talents and usually fail pretty badly.

Alternative to the potion idea to be placed into the hatching slot along with the pets, is the idea that some pets could come out that are simply No Trade, Character Level only Pets that one could hatch against and for, but I like the putting a potion into a slot and paying according to one's character's level idea more.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Takhethis on Jul 4, 2019 wrote:
There are so many players who have trash pets at max level and some who don't even bother having a pet at all because they simply take forever to level up. My solution to all of this without harming already existent pets is to come out with what I call "No trade, Character level Pets".

The idea is that new pets should be added to the game, hopefully as drops at ends of dungeons such as Pirate Rigatta, Moo Manchu Tower, Kane, and key boss fights, or instead of pets perhaps a morphing potion that can be used by players when hatching.

A No trade, Character Level pet can't be fed or trained up in the normal manner, but instead is always the level of the player character hence the reason it can never be traded or placed into one's shared bank. So with one of these pet types if you are level 70 it instantly hatches at level 70. If players found like a pet character level potion there could be a potion slot to which it could be used in when a player goes to hatch, when hatched it gets used up. Such pets should cost differently to hatch than regular pets, and I suggest 2,000 gold per player level so at level 70 a player would need a potion plus 140,000 gold if they wish to hatch with this pet option and it would come out at level 70.

Dungeons don't really give us much to farm for, so getting these potions at the end would make them more worth our while.

Not everyone has one to three months or more to max out a single pet, especially when that pet is bound to fail in its talents and usually fail pretty badly.

Alternative to the potion idea to be placed into the hatching slot along with the pets, is the idea that some pets could come out that are simply No Trade, Character Level only Pets that one could hatch against and for, but I like the putting a potion into a slot and paying according to one's character's level idea more.
Welcome to the message boards, Takhethis! Unfortunately, I'm going to have to disagree with this idea completely.
Training pets in P101 is so simple and fast compared to W10, you can easily get a pet up to max in less than a month. If you are willing to spend the time training them daily.

The morphing tent is there so pirates can find another player with a pet that has the best talents for their class, it's a good way to meet another player and help them ( & yourself ) get a good pet.
You can find Character class pets in the Brawlin' Hall.
There are many bosses already dropping pets, along with very good gear. So I don't understand why you think these bosses have nothing worth farming for.
We had character level pets before the Advanced Pets addition went live, they had no talents or grants. This present way is much better.

Gunner's Mate
Sep 04, 2018
anecorbie on Jul 5, 2019 wrote:
Welcome to the message boards, Takhethis! Unfortunately, I'm going to have to disagree with this idea completely.
Training pets in P101 is so simple and fast compared to W10, you can easily get a pet up to max in less than a month. If you are willing to spend the time training them daily.

The morphing tent is there so pirates can find another player with a pet that has the best talents for their class, it's a good way to meet another player and help them ( & yourself ) get a good pet.
You can find Character class pets in the Brawlin' Hall.
There are many bosses already dropping pets, along with very good gear. So I don't understand why you think these bosses have nothing worth farming for.
We had character level pets before the Advanced Pets addition went live, they had no talents or grants. This present way is much better.
No, most can't as they can't be on every hour or every other hour of every day and at the higher pet levels you can only train it once in an entire day's time and it still might not even reach the next level. That is the reality of pet training. Now if you want to also max out power you are most likely talking months to a half year of actual time.

Pet training is simple when compared to Wizard101 and I agree with your comment there, but in actual time it still takes forever. A player who is on all the time can max out a character in three weeks time, the same player most likely could not max out their pet in that amount of time unless they spent quite a bit of money to do so, and then that pet is most likely not going to turn out. Even if a player hatches with a near perfect pet with a given starting pet that starting pet is going to need to hatch its offspring several generations in a row against that near perfect pet just to have a chance of turning out. The hard core players but its insane to expect anyone else to do so, and without end game content even the hard core characters being played seemingly vanish after they have gotten that last bit of equipment they figure they could farm for.

Ensign
Jul 09, 2010
I don't love ANYTHING being No Trade. But I'd be super happy if half this idea was implemented.

What if they were trade-able but trade-ability was unlocked by the first character owner taking them to max level. Then once all was revealed the pet (like a mood ring) changed from owner to owner only manifesting what matched the character's level who had them equipped.

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
Takhethis on Jul 16, 2019 wrote:
No, most can't as they can't be on every hour or every other hour of every day and at the higher pet levels you can only train it once in an entire day's time and it still might not even reach the next level. That is the reality of pet training. Now if you want to also max out power you are most likely talking months to a half year of actual time.

Pet training is simple when compared to Wizard101 and I agree with your comment there, but in actual time it still takes forever. A player who is on all the time can max out a character in three weeks time, the same player most likely could not max out their pet in that amount of time unless they spent quite a bit of money to do so, and then that pet is most likely not going to turn out. Even if a player hatches with a near perfect pet with a given starting pet that starting pet is going to need to hatch its offspring several generations in a row against that near perfect pet just to have a chance of turning out. The hard core players but its insane to expect anyone else to do so, and without end game content even the hard core characters being played seemingly vanish after they have gotten that last bit of equipment they figure they could farm for.
Max level pirates often "vanish" because the players have multiple pirates on their account, and once they finish working on a task, they change pirates. At least, that is how I operate. Right now, many players who play both games are over on Wizard101 for a new event and Test Realm (and new bundles, etc. -- yes, we know it's not fair) so the pirate population is sparser than normal.

There is nothing wrong with a game mechanic that keeps a player involved in the game for three weeks to a month. A player who can max a pirate and move on in a month isn't one that was going to stick around because he could train his pet quicker.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Takhethis on Jul 16, 2019 wrote:

No, there is where you're wrong: in the lower levels ( up to level 20 ) training takes less that half an hour, this can be easily done during game play. When the pet reaches adult level ( 30, I think ), then you can start training once a day & your pet is ready for morphing. ( What, it's too much hassle to log in once a day for less than 5 minutes? )

Go to the morphing tent on a busy server. And look for players with pets that have the types of talents, powers, & grants you want.
Heck, I'm willing to morph with you. With 3 accounts and all classes at max with good pets, I'm sure I have a good pet to morph for you.
So, Tell me what you're looking for in a pet, what day & time ( include time zone ) and we'll arrange a morphed pet!

Lieutenant
Mar 23, 2012
Hey Takhethis,

If I'm reading your suggestion correctly, why you are describing is exactly the way pets used to operate before the Advanced Pets update waaayyyy back towards the first 6-9 months of Pirate101 coming online.

Back then if memory serves me you'd equip a pet to your pirate, they'd have a predefined set of powers that they would use and battle like an NPC and that was it. There was no leveling system back then because the pets would be locked into a predefined level and there was no variety in each pet.

One of the selling points for the Advanced Pets update was that with training you could unlock powers, skills and level up pets past your character level. This is why the week preceding the update going live I sent ALL of my pets at the time into the backpack of my highest level pirate, so that the update would bump all of my pets to their max possible level. I'm fairly certain that I wasn't the only cheeky monkey to do this .

The only major difference between your suggestion and the pre-update pets is pets back then could be traded between characters.

Personally I like the current pet system just because I'm a patient person that doesn't really dedicate too much time into video games anymore and the actual act of training pets (across 3 max level pirates and a newbie pirate) doesn't take any more than 20 minutes a day for all of my pirates. I would however (and I've suggested this in the past) like to see a supplementary/companion app be developed for mobile devices that would allow you to train/manage your pets and crew outside the game, it doesn't have to look overtly fancy or be super technical, just essentially the same crew and pet menu screens currently available in the game, just set into an app format. Possibly with an optional notification telling you all of your pets are ready to be fed of your crew is ready to return.

Keep the ideas coming though!

KingCrimson.

PS: Good to see Anecorbie and Willowydream are still active, long time no see!