Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Glitch in withdoctor damage

AuthorMessage
Gunner's Mate
Jan 27, 2011
Ratbeard on Oct 17, 2016 wrote:
As a reminder, Charm is not allowed in PvP because it grants an unfair advantage based on which player acts first.

I could turn it on again but I don't think it would be acceptable for long.

Obviously I'd prefer to see it fixed, if I could, but the tech to do so is tricky and fixing it would be time consuming. Our engineers' efforts are better spent on things that improve the game in more dramatic ways and preferably for ALL players.

I'm not taking Charm off my "wish list." I will take another look at it and see if I can think of a way around the combat engine limitations.

Would you be able to see about making the mojo blade line of attacks ignore the reduce in damage, since they can't be activated unless the enemy is adjacent and their main purpose is to be a melee defense power?

Mojo Blade already ignores armor, doesn't trigger melee epics, its damage starts at 2x your spell power, and it is boosted by WILL. I'd say it's doing what it is supposed to do.
Here's my proposal Ratbeard (and I don't play Witchdoctor by the way):

Put a start-up timer on Charm. If the primary reason for it being banned is because it grants an unfair advantage based on which player acts first, a start-up (or what I and my Game-Development teacher call a warm-up timer) will fix that very issue. That way, if the Power does manifest at the start of the fight and the Witchdoctor does go first they're forced to save it and wait the set amount of turns required before they can use it. That also gives the enemy time to set-up or prepare. Witchdoctors do need a good tweak, though they are primarily a Support class that relies on their Companions, they need to be able to fight for themselves as well. Privateers are the other Support class that can also get up in your face and aggro you into submission WHILE buffing Companions. Witchdoctors should be the ranged-equivalent of them, with slightly more emphasis placed on Companion/Self-sustain rather than flat out damage.

Just my take on it, and I'm still a greenhorn in training so sorry if I sound a bit dumb at some parts. I hope to join your crew here in a few years once I graduate and aid in the growth of this amazing game.

Lieutenant
Nov 26, 2010
Nightblood1995 on Oct 19, 2016 wrote:
Here's my proposal Ratbeard (and I don't play Witchdoctor by the way):

Put a start-up timer on Charm. If the primary reason for it being banned is because it grants an unfair advantage based on which player acts first, a start-up (or what I and my Game-Development teacher call a warm-up timer) will fix that very issue. That way, if the Power does manifest at the start of the fight and the Witchdoctor does go first they're forced to save it and wait the set amount of turns required before they can use it. That also gives the enemy time to set-up or prepare. Witchdoctors do need a good tweak, though they are primarily a Support class that relies on their Companions, they need to be able to fight for themselves as well. Privateers are the other Support class that can also get up in your face and aggro you into submission WHILE buffing Companions. Witchdoctors should be the ranged-equivalent of them, with slightly more emphasis placed on Companion/Self-sustain rather than flat out damage.

Just my take on it, and I'm still a greenhorn in training so sorry if I sound a bit dumb at some parts. I hope to join your crew here in a few years once I graduate and aid in the growth of this amazing game.
That isn't at all what Ratbeard means. It isn't because it can be used turn 1 or 2 etc. The "unfair" advantage is based on what character has what color. Because when you Charm a unit it becomes a "Summon" so it acts on its own. Once the unit acts, it returns back to the original owner. So if the Witchdoctor is blue then the charmed target hasn't taken its turn yet therefor the enemy doesn't get to use the companion for an entire turn. If the Witchdoctor is red, then at the end of the turn the summons take theirs so the charmed unit will act and afterwards be returned to the original owner.

Here is what Ratbeard should do with charm to help Witchdoctor: Make Charm work as in where it returns the charmed unit to the original owner at the start of the Witchdoctor's next turn. This way regardless of what color you're on the charmed unit stays on your team through 1 of your opponent's turns.

This may sound really powerful but Witchdoctor really doesn't have any impacting powers right now. Alongside the fact that they are currently the lowest a class has ever been in the meta-game they definitely deserve some special treatment.

Gunner's Mate
Jan 27, 2011
TechnomagePvP on Oct 19, 2016 wrote:
That isn't at all what Ratbeard means. It isn't because it can be used turn 1 or 2 etc. The "unfair" advantage is based on what character has what color. Because when you Charm a unit it becomes a "Summon" so it acts on its own. Once the unit acts, it returns back to the original owner. So if the Witchdoctor is blue then the charmed target hasn't taken its turn yet therefor the enemy doesn't get to use the companion for an entire turn. If the Witchdoctor is red, then at the end of the turn the summons take theirs so the charmed unit will act and afterwards be returned to the original owner.

Here is what Ratbeard should do with charm to help Witchdoctor: Make Charm work as in where it returns the charmed unit to the original owner at the start of the Witchdoctor's next turn. This way regardless of what color you're on the charmed unit stays on your team through 1 of your opponent's turns.

This may sound really powerful but Witchdoctor really doesn't have any impacting powers right now. Alongside the fact that they are currently the lowest a class has ever been in the meta-game they definitely deserve some special treatment.
So what you're saying is:

Witchdoctor Charms Sarah Steele, Sarah Steele attacks on the Witchdoctor's turn at the end after all other Companions and Pets (essentially acting as an ally) and returns to the opponent's control at the start of their turn? This would make plenty of sense to me, and wouldn't be OP to me at all either. It forces players to play smartly rather than going on an all-out offensive.

Coming from a Swash: I'd love to face a Witchdoctor with Charm, I hate simply using Fog and following up with Assassin's Strike and my Companion's Crit Powers for free kills. I'd love to give Witchdoctor a go but right now I don't want the headache. If how I interpreted your suggestion is correct then I see no problem with this, especially since it's only 1 Power that requires Pet Grants/Gear to get more of (and subsequently forces the Witchdoctor to sacrifice more offensive Spells for a few more CC Powers). I can also see many ways to work around this Power as well: don't group up. That way, if Subodai (for example) got Charmed his Relentless/Blade Storm/Vengeance Strike assault will only target one individual rather than the entire team (you really shouldn't group up anyways, makes Witch and Privy Powers easier to land).

Thoughts?

Ensign
Jul 12, 2016
TechnomagePvP on Oct 19, 2016 wrote:

You got that right