Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

What If Pet Sparring Dropped Pets?

AuthorMessage
Captain
Jun 10, 2013
I feel like the reason more pirates don't do pet sparring is because the drops still aren't as good as some of us would like them to be. I think 1 thing that could be added is small amounts of gold and scrip, I think that would get lower level pirates a reason to do pet sparring. The amounts should be smaller than the amounts received in a dungeon though and maybe only drop gold or scrip every 10 matches or so? Another thing I think would be cool is if pet sparring dropped pets! I know Decius Duelmaster brings out a few pets not known to obtainable in practice matches in Bestia's Circus Maximus. They are the:

Blue-Clawed Scorpion
Bubblegum Chameleon
Cool Ranch Dillo
Jungle Chameleon
Moonstone Spider

Imagine if even some of these pets were added to the loot table as exclusive drops only for pet sparring. I think this would entice several pirates to do pet sparring to try to obtain all the pets. I know pet sparring never has more than 4 pets on a team, so maybe make 4 of those pets exclusive drops, Decius wouldn't have to make all of them obtainable that way and would have less work to do.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
We already have many ways to get pets, we don't need extra ones. And it would be more work for a programmer to shove a group of pets onto the drop table.
Those pets may be future hybrids or crown shop pets.

First Mate
Dec 29, 2012
RRRRZZZZ419 on Jul 8, 2019 wrote:
I feel like the reason more pirates don't do pet sparring is because the drops still aren't as good as some of us would like them to be. I think 1 thing that could be added is small amounts of gold and scrip, I think that would get lower level pirates a reason to do pet sparring. The amounts should be smaller than the amounts received in a dungeon though and maybe only drop gold or scrip every 10 matches or so? Another thing I think would be cool is if pet sparring dropped pets! I know Decius Duelmaster brings out a few pets not known to obtainable in practice matches in Bestia's Circus Maximus. They are the:

Blue-Clawed Scorpion
Bubblegum Chameleon
Cool Ranch Dillo
Jungle Chameleon
Moonstone Spider

Imagine if even some of these pets were added to the loot table as exclusive drops only for pet sparring. I think this would entice several pirates to do pet sparring to try to obtain all the pets. I know pet sparring never has more than 4 pets on a team, so maybe make 4 of those pets exclusive drops, Decius wouldn't have to make all of them obtainable that way and would have less work to do.
It should drop mega snacks occasionally.

I could be wrong, but I don't think I've ever received a mega snack as a drop in Pirate101 anywhere. They seem to only exist as a random reward in Crowns pack (or guaranteed in the mega snack pack).

Honestly, doing anything to Pet Sparring would likely make it more viable than it currently is.

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
An interesting idea. I've never seen very many pirates at all sparring, and the paltry rewards for practice matches don't really excite anyone to give it more effort, I don't think.

@Bat Masterson -- have you ever tried pet sparring?

Administrator
Yes, I think it's a fun mechanic. I'm surprised that there aren't that many that have their pets spar...

Admiral
Oct 27, 2009
Oran from Urz on Jul 8, 2019 wrote:
It should drop mega snacks occasionally.

I could be wrong, but I don't think I've ever received a mega snack as a drop in Pirate101 anywhere. They seem to only exist as a random reward in Crowns pack (or guaranteed in the mega snack pack).

Honestly, doing anything to Pet Sparring would likely make it more viable than it currently is.
I think I did get a mega snack there a couple of times, during some kind of special event, maybe pet-a-palooza?

Commodore
Feb 12, 2015
Bat Masterson on Jul 9, 2019 wrote:
Yes, I think it's a fun mechanic. I'm surprised that there aren't that many that have their pets spar...
Yes, it's another neglected minigame. I'd do it, if people were there...

Captain
Jun 10, 2013
anecorbie on Jul 8, 2019 wrote:
We already have many ways to get pets, we don't need extra ones. And it would be more work for a programmer to shove a group of pets onto the drop table.
Those pets may be future hybrids or crown shop pets.
First off, you're right we do already have many way to get pets, but consider the following:

1. Most places that drop pets (other than Christmas pets) are not in free to play areas (examples: The Machine, The Tower Of Moo Manchu) - Circus Maximus is in a free to play area

2. Circus Maximus' Morphing Tent is in a free to play area but it cost approximately 20,000 gold to morph a pet and the pet has to at least Level 30 to be able to be morphed. New pirates have limited gold (which they need to be spending on gear and training tomes)

3. It would probably be more work to add 4 new hybrid pets than 4 pets to a drop table, because the 4 hybrid pets would each also have to have 2 parents be programmed to make it.

4. No known hybrid only pets appear on Decius' team in Pet Sparring Practice Matches

5. If the pets were supposed to be Crown Shop pets they would probably already have been released

My idea would give 4 of the 5 pets currently not known to obtainable a way to be obtained. Pet sparring would be the only way to get them. The reason I am not calling for all 5 of the pets to be made obtainable this way is because you can't have more than 4 pets in a Pet Sparring team so I think 4 pets dropping is a fair number, and it would be less work for Decius, and it would still leave 1 unknown pet.

First Mate
Dec 29, 2012
Bat Masterson on Jul 9, 2019 wrote:
It is a fun mechanic. It even makes use of all those "other" powers/talents on pets.

However, the issue with pet sparring is absolutely the problem of no worthwhile reward. Unless a player just wants to do it for fun (like a housing game), there's no point. Also, the queue system seems to be broken. This was most evident on one of your first KI Live broadcasts of Pirate101. Several pirates queuing at the same time and no matches at all during the stream.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
RRRRZZZZ419 on Jul 9, 2019 wrote:
First off, you're right we do already have many way to get pets, but consider the following:

1. Most places that drop pets (other than Christmas pets) are not in free to play areas (examples: The Machine, The Tower Of Moo Manchu) - Circus Maximus is in a free to play area

2. Circus Maximus' Morphing Tent is in a free to play area but it cost approximately 20,000 gold to morph a pet and the pet has to at least Level 30 to be able to be morphed. New pirates have limited gold (which they need to be spending on gear and training tomes)

3. It would probably be more work to add 4 new hybrid pets than 4 pets to a drop table, because the 4 hybrid pets would each also have to have 2 parents be programmed to make it.

4. No known hybrid only pets appear on Decius' team in Pet Sparring Practice Matches

5. If the pets were supposed to be Crown Shop pets they would probably already have been released

My idea would give 4 of the 5 pets currently not known to obtainable a way to be obtained. Pet sparring would be the only way to get them. The reason I am not calling for all 5 of the pets to be made obtainable this way is because you can't have more than 4 pets in a Pet Sparring team so I think 4 pets dropping is a fair number, and it would be less work for Decius, and it would still leave 1 unknown pet.
Why do I always have to remind players that there are ways besides drops to get pets?
Pet Wranglin'! This is a way to obtain even hard to find pets. And this can be used by any player who has a companion at level 8+.

Skull Island has bosses in free to play areas that drop pets.
The Quackosaurus, ( any Skull Island boss, yes even in the FTP areas ) Dinolizard ( only from Ch'ok A'kab ) & Orchid Chameleon ( anywhere in SI, even the skyway. )
Morphing!

There are 3 pets available from the Egg sellers in the arena and they make hybrids.

Until recently the green bunnicorn ( seen in the Circus Maximus ) wasn't available,now this pet is available through Pet Wranglin'.
There is always a chance that those pets from sparring could be in the crown shop in the future, it doesn't mean they'll never be there just because they're not there now.
I'd prefer a chance of getting mega snacks in a Pet vs Pet match. Or special pet gear.

Commodore
Feb 12, 2015
Oran from Urz on Jul 10, 2019 wrote:
It is a fun mechanic. It even makes use of all those "other" powers/talents on pets.

However, the issue with pet sparring is absolutely the problem of no worthwhile reward. Unless a player just wants to do it for fun (like a housing game), there's no point. Also, the queue system seems to be broken. This was most evident on one of your first KI Live broadcasts of Pirate101. Several pirates queuing at the same time and no matches at all during the stream.
You mean that Spiderfight? I remember that. I got a match, though.

...Hey, why don't you do a pet sparring tourney! Like the PvP tourneys, except with pets!

Captain
Jun 10, 2013
Oran from Urz on Jul 10, 2019 wrote:

If Pet Sparring dropped 4 unique pets, small amounts of gold, small amounts of scrip, and mega snacks (all these rare drop though), I think a lot more pirates would do it, especially more low level pirates and pet collectors.