Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Tips for Swash?

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Aug 12, 2015
Hey, y'all. So, my main profile is a Buccaneer and my brother convinced me to try a Swashbuckler for a change.

My questions are these: What are the main differences between Swashbuckler and Buccaneer, and does anyone have any strategies or tips (i.e: companions to use, gear to have, pets to use, etc...) that worked for them when playing Swashbuckler?

See y'all on the Skyway

Bloody Edward Yellowfish (Level 30)

Admiral
Oct 27, 2009
As a swashbuckler you have great range of movement and can conceal yourself and sneak into the middle of the enemy, poison them while invisible, and use crew that can buff you, then hit all the enemy around you. The down side is, if they do hit you, you do not have as much health as other classes, but you can deal great damage. Dodge and riposte are very useful things for you to train. I've had great success using some of my other crew classes with my swash, for example Bonnie Anne with burst fire levels. She can take advantage of the same agility boosts, heal me from a distance if I need it, and hit the enemies too, finishing off a good number of them. I often use a buccaneer crewman to protect her, sometimes Subodai, sometimes Birgus. Since Swash are more vulnerable to will based enemies, sometimes I use a privateer to go after them, like Catbeard. If you can get a pet that gives you a grant talent like blade storm or vengeance strike that might be useful to you. If you like, you can even use a weapon that is both stabby and shooty, agility based, that might make some musketeer talent granting pets handy also. Fan Flanders is a great crewfrog and well worth training and using. She can stand by Bonnie, buffing you and herself, and then head out to slice and dice.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Kobe1252002 on Apr 11, 2019 wrote:
Hey, y'all. So, my main profile is a Buccaneer and my brother convinced me to try a Swashbuckler for a change.

My questions are these: What are the main differences between Swashbuckler and Buccaneer, and does anyone have any strategies or tips (i.e: companions to use, gear to have, pets to use, etc...) that worked for them when playing Swashbuckler?

See y'all on the Skyway

Bloody Edward Yellowfish (Level 30)
The main difference in the swash class vs the bucks is the main stat - Swash use agility to boost damage & buck uses strength; so look for those weapons that enhance this stat.
Also dodge is very important to swashbucklers as your talent attack in response will be more likely to be successful ( riposte ).
Playing swashbuckler well requires some thought. Contrary to some popular opinion it's not all "just hide & charge". Use those buffs as you gain them or use companions who offer you and your team buffs.
Before we got the Trainer's Companions, I used Sarah Steele as my first mate ( and she was very effective ) now, it's Fan Flanders who takes that position.
When you recruit El Toro, you will get a very good companion as well.
DO NOT neglect Subodai! He is very good and I feel that cross-classes enhance strategy in battle, so don't get stuck on an only swash team.
The above advice is for PVE only; I'm sure some PVP players will give you different advice.