Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

El toro replacement

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Aug 27, 2015
Hi guys. Well I just started the marleybone arc and I realized how bad El Toro is against musketeer class enemies.... he always dies and I have to wake him up before I can fight again as I only trained my A-team. My question is who can i train up to replace El Toro.

StormySeanQuinn lvl 53

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
FortuneLeoVX on Nov 7, 2018 wrote:
Hi guys. Well I just started the marleybone arc and I realized how bad El Toro is against musketeer class enemies.... he always dies and I have to wake him up before I can fight again as I only trained my A-team. My question is who can i train up to replace El Toro.

StormySeanQuinn lvl 53
As a swashbuckler, you have a very little choice for replacing El Toro, unless you want to spend crowns. Wing Chung's twin has Call to Arms or you can try for Itzen Kaan in the Tribal Pack. Have you given El Toro enough dodge?. He shouldn't be suffering defeat that much. I never had to replace him when I went through MB.
I suppose your "A Team" includes Fan?
I would really, really encourage you to stop using a set team and strategy, branch out and try something new.
Also, do some side quests for the gold to train up your other companions and to get more experience for yourself.

Bosun
Dec 28, 2012
In all honesty, I'd stick with Toro. I would recommend diversifying your strategy. Have comps up front who can draw fire, and buff up in the back with Toro, waiting for the right moment to charge.

However, if you insist on replacing Toro, I can give some suggestions. Bonnie Anne is always good. She gets a goldmine of epics, and she can draw enemy fire easily. Her return fire and double tap also make for good counters against muskets. Another good one is Fan Flanders. Fan is good at taking out enemies quick and fast, and her agility buffs can be good in a jiffy (especially when paired with Toro ).

Ensign
Jun 25, 2014
FortuneLeoVX on Nov 7, 2018 wrote:

StormySeanQuinn lvl 53
I have not yet been to marlybone but bonnie anne is good with musketeer if you train her up with quick draw, i mean musket against musket, yep kinda explains it self. Also try to use more musketeers maybe? Good luck

Your flunked ship battlerTireless Cole, level 46 buckaroo

Ensign
Nov 09, 2017
I recommend Fan Flanders. Fan Flanders is given great powers at promotion, and can be granted even greater epics. Plus, she can do A LOT of damage if you use her wisely.

By the way, welcome to the message boards!

Scurvy Dylan Neasmith Lvl 20

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
Personally, I think players put too much emphasis on a "perfect team" and get stuck in a rut. We are given a huge crew so that we have options when certain companions end up on Bed Rest because they just don't work well against musketeers or whoever. Working with a randomized crew can teach us so much about what they can and can't do, and who may work better against certain enemies with particular talents.

As the above answers have described, either reset El Toro's stats, or consider that his small boost could be replaced by a different talent/power from another companion. You have so much to choose from - enjoy a bit of variety.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
If you're meaning a replacement for El Toro as a fighter instead as a buffer; I suggest that you look at Shiruko Nekko, Mustang Sally, The Toreador or Froggo Villa - all are very excellent SB companions. If you want musketeer back-up, besides Bonnie Anne, Buffalo Bill or Tricky Vinnie are good choices.
I also suggest that Ratbeard or Subodai ( if you did his level 47 promo ) are great choices as well.

Ensign
Aug 27, 2015