Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Building Lesser Companions: Rise and be Spooky!

AuthorMessage
Commodore
Feb 12, 2015
Happy Halloween everyone! Since the time is almost upon us, I'm starting a topic on building the zombie and skeleton companions around the spiral, to help them RISE UP in popularity (Get it?)

Bones McGee is earned by Witchdoctors during "A Chill Wind". He promotes at levels 22 and 39.

Bosun Budd is unlocked in the Crown Shop for 4,495 Crowns after completing "Last Call"

Dead Mike is given after "Quid Pro Quo" if your parents were lost to a mutiny. His promotion quests take occur at levels 21, 47, and 67.

Jim Masterson is won by Privateers after "The Ringleader"

The Lost Ranger is awarded to Buccaneers after "Beyond the Grave".

Martin Valvida can be bought from the Crown Shop for 5,995 Crowns after earning the badge "Order of St. Dorotea". He promotes at level 32.

Moresco de Valvida is unlocked alongside his brother Martin. He too can be bought for 5,995 Crowns, and promotes at level 32.

Special Notes:
Bat Masterson and Holly Jolly Roger would technically be in this list, but I'm keeping them out for future topics.
S. M. Arson, Dead Mike's Crown Shop equivalent, is not unlocked after "Quid Pro Quo", but rather after the following quest, "One-Eyed Jacks are Wild".
Marin Valvida is one of one two companions that know Evil Eye. The other is Doctor Noh.
Moresco de Valvida is the only Musketeer and only ranged companion with Fly. He is also the only companion that knows Incendiary Shot.
Bosun Budd is probably the only companion that promotes at level 70.
Feel free to discuss all your building ideas, especially the utterly TERRIFYING ones. Both tricks and treats are accepted!

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
The Valvida brothers were a must for my all-Monquistan team on my Swashbuckler. They seem to have a high critical rating.

Bosun Budd is pretty unique with his starfish abilities, so while he's on sale, I would highly recommend him.

As for builds, I don't like to make suggestions, since we all play our teams differently.

Yo ho!

Petty Officer
Dec 06, 2012
I'd like to know what kind of build Bones McGee should have. His epics always confused me on what position he should fill.

Commodore
Feb 12, 2015
Willowydream on Oct 30, 2018 wrote:
The Valvida brothers were a must for my all-Monquistan team on my Swashbuckler. They seem to have a high critical rating.

Bosun Budd is pretty unique with his starfish abilities, so while he's on sale, I would highly recommend him.

As for builds, I don't like to make suggestions, since we all play our teams differently.

Yo ho!

I literally JUST got the two Valvida brothers for myself, and I agree with you. they do have a slightly higher Critical rate, and despite the fact that he never has more than the one rank of relentless, Martin is special in his own way. Also, if you put Moresco in an air space with no land borders, he cannot be touched by melee companions, and still harm them! No other companion can do that!

Martin could be considered a rare combination of bruiser and reaction fighter, with Blade Storm 2, Second Chance, Riposte, and Vengeance Strike. Moresco is just flat out bruiser, best with Burst Fire 3 and Double Tap 2. And probably Quick Adjust.

Commodore
Feb 12, 2015
mr idea on Oct 31, 2018 wrote:
I'd like to know what kind of build Bones McGee should have. His epics always confused me on what position he should fill.
Took a look at Bones McGee's Central page for you, and whatever good build is possible should have Double Tap 2, since he has Epic Strike, and possibly Quick Adjust 2 or even 3! If you have a mainly Musketeer team, you could also try swapping something for Crossfire, too

(Note to readers: just because it is now past Halloween does not mean you can't post in this thread anymore)

Commodore
Feb 12, 2015
Lookit Light on Oct 31, 2018 wrote:
I literally JUST got the two Valvida brothers for myself, and I agree with you. they do have a slightly higher Critical rate, and despite the fact that he never has more than the one rank of relentless, Martin is special in his own way. Also, if you put Moresco in an air space with no land borders, he cannot be touched by melee companions, and still harm them! No other companion can do that!

Martin could be considered a rare combination of bruiser and reaction fighter, with Blade Storm 2, Second Chance, Riposte, and Vengeance Strike. Moresco is just flat out bruiser, best with Burst Fire 3 and Double Tap 2. And probably Quick Adjust.
In addition to this, I heeded Willowydream's advise and managed to get Bosun Budd. A little known fact: Budd learns an extra Consume Starfish power on his first promotion, and another Starfish Shuffle on his second.

Bosun Budd appears to be a reaction fighter, but building him is quite variable.

Commodore
Feb 12, 2015
Lookit Light on Nov 1, 2018 wrote:
In addition to this, I heeded Willowydream's advise and managed to get Bosun Budd. A little known fact: Budd learns an extra Consume Starfish power on his first promotion, and another Starfish Shuffle on his second.

Bosun Budd appears to be a reaction fighter, but building him is quite variable.
Enougn about me. I want to hear the ideas of everyone else even more! Go ahead!