Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Making the worlds of the Spiral more immersive

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Sep 14, 2008
I've been thinking about this a while, and did a quick touch on it on the Wizard forum a few days ago, and came to the conclusion Pirate and Wizard lack the sense of immersion they're likely intended to have. The games lack a mechanism that would allow them to crossover, even for a short event, and because of that they actually feel a bit more lacking than they probably should. To me, MMORPGs have their appeal because of the kind of immersion in their worlds that allows you to forget about the real world for a bit.

The Spiral also feels a bit more hollow than it should, to me anyway, because of the lack of different possible character archetypes for players to choose from. So far it basically boils down to Wizards and Pirates, and that's it, a few more archetypes are needed to really make the Spiral feel more expansive and alive. If entire games have to be built around the archetypes, like with the current games, that's fine. But those archetypes still need to be available for players to choose from.

I actually came up with some ideas for expanding the game family and want to see a more involved discussion, I just have my ideas on how to expand things up to kick things off.

You can see that attempt at a discussion here

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
I would like to see a cross-over event ( like in W101 where the wizards went to Skull Island to rescue Boochbeard & Gandry ). There are numerous references to both games in the P101 story and the W101 story ( in the higher level worlds, especially Azteca. )

Since the games are named Wizard101 and Pirate101, it makes sense that the roles you play are wizards and pirates. I find P101 more immersive in the roles you play because there's a great difference between the classes, with the ability for train some powers from other classes than the one you choose.
I don't find the Spiral at all "hollow" it has a fascinating history, more revealed in Wizard, though that is to be expected; pirates aren't historians. A little Spiral background may be what this game needs.

Bosun
Dec 28, 2012
dracone on Jul 30, 2018 wrote:
I've been thinking about this a while, and did a quick touch on it on the Wizard forum a few days ago, and came to the conclusion Pirate and Wizard lack the sense of immersion they're likely intended to have. The games lack a mechanism that would allow them to crossover, even for a short event, and because of that they actually feel a bit more lacking than they probably should. To me, MMORPGs have their appeal because of the kind of immersion in their worlds that allows you to forget about the real world for a bit.

The Spiral also feels a bit more hollow than it should, to me anyway, because of the lack of different possible character archetypes for players to choose from. So far it basically boils down to Wizards and Pirates, and that's it, a few more archetypes are needed to really make the Spiral feel more expansive and alive. If entire games have to be built around the archetypes, like with the current games, that's fine. But those archetypes still need to be available for players to choose from.

I actually came up with some ideas for expanding the game family and want to see a more involved discussion, I just have my ideas on how to expand things up to kick things off.

You can see that attempt at a discussion here
As much as I would like to explore new corners of the spiral, Kingsisle just isn't big enough to manage that. It's no secret that Pirate has been... lacking in attention from Kingsisle, because they want to support Wizard101, which is making them more money. I don't mean to knock KI, as from a business perspective, this makes sense, but if they can't equally distribute to 2 games, adding another sibling to the mix would probably make things worse for both Wizard and Pirate.

Ensign
Sep 14, 2008
I suppose you're right, and maybe when they get a little bigger that could change.

That said, it still should be within the realm of possibility for them to at least have some quests or events in both Wizard and Pirate that allow the two games to crossover with each other in some way, even if it is in a limited capacity.

Bosun
Dec 28, 2012
dracone on Aug 1, 2018 wrote:
I suppose you're right, and maybe when they get a little bigger that could change.

That said, it still should be within the realm of possibility for them to at least have some quests or events in both Wizard and Pirate that allow the two games to crossover with each other in some way, even if it is in a limited capacity.
Wizard actually has this. During the 5 boxes event in the Zafaria box, you take a visit to Skull Island. You even have a run in with one of the Armada elites themselves! Pirate doesn't have any direct crossover like this, but there are still several small references. (Nigel Weathersfield in Medusa's cave, the Aztecasaurs feeling from the Umbra Queen is Xol Amul, Malistaire being depicted in a Mooshu puppet show, etc)