Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Funny things you notice abotu the game

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Sep 14, 2008
I'm sure quite a few people have noticed how several of the companions you acquire, especially your first one, have some sort of pun or other comedic element to their name. Some are easier to notice, like Egg Shen. But some might fly over most people's heads, like Kobe Yojimbo. Do you know what make's Kobe's name so funny?

Admiral
Nov 01, 2013
dracone on Jul 27, 2018 wrote:
I'm sure quite a few people have noticed how several of the companions you acquire, especially your first one, have some sort of pun or other comedic element to their name. Some are easier to notice, like Egg Shen. But some might fly over most people's heads, like Kobe Yojimbo. Do you know what make's Kobe's name so funny?
No, I don't. But every time I hear "Yojimbo", I think of "Jimbo Jambo" from Order Up! Haha.

Ensign
Sep 14, 2008
While I can't speak towards the significance towards Yojimbo, Kobe is actually the name of a kind of beef Wagyu. I actually found an article from a while back that talks about it here

Admiral
Oct 27, 2009
dracone on Jul 27, 2018 wrote:
Kobe beef is from a specific breed of Japanese cattle, raised in a specific prefecture (like a US state), with very high quality standards. "Yojimbo" is a film about a master-less samurai, a ronin. Our Kobe Yojimbo is a Mooshu bull who is a ronin. Was that what you meant?

Ensign
Sep 14, 2008
I actually looked up what "Yojimbo" means and found it means "bodyguard or bouncer"

Bosun
Dec 28, 2012
One of my favorite things about this game is how basically every single character is some reference, even if extremely obscure. If you look through Mew's first story thread, there's a ton of super small details that will be references to some obscure 80's cartoon or show. The amount of heart that went into this game is astounding and I can't wait to see what the writers have next.

Lieutenant
Oct 18, 2014
The badges for defeating Undead enemies use a different adjective every time, first it's ''Defeat 10 grotesque undead'' then ''Defeat 25 loathsome undead'' then ''Defeat 50 putrid undead'', ''Defeat 100 wretched undead'' and finally, ''Defeat 250 revolting undead'' i find this absoloutely hilarious, they didn't need to describe the undead using 5 different adjectives, one for each badge, but they did anyway.

Hardy Quinn

Slayer of ''Repugnant'' Undead

Admiral
Nov 01, 2013
Alex the Pirate on Jul 31, 2018 wrote:
One of my favorite things about this game is how basically every single character is some reference, even if extremely obscure. If you look through Mew's first story thread, there's a ton of super small details that will be references to some obscure 80's cartoon or show. The amount of heart that went into this game is astounding and I can't wait to see what the writers have next.
You're right. I love that, too.