Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Words that shouldn't be marked Red in chat

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Sep 14, 2008
Couldn't find it in the search, so I decided to make it. This thread is for talking about words that are marked inappropriate, or RED, as many of us can see. In particular for talking, mostly complaining, why some words that are marked as such when they have no real reason to be.

I'll start things off. It's happened to me a few times recently, probably the same for some you. The two words that got marked as inappropriate for me recently are, ironically the words "two" and "mechanist" but I remember encountering others way back when. Neither is a word that really needs to be censored, I can sort of forgive them flagging mechanist due to it being a lesser seen word but the word two has no such leeway in my book. Also, I tried writing out actual numbers, those also got flagged in red for some reason. That's right I tried typing 2, 6, 9, 1, and 3 at different points in the chat box but they always got marked up in red for some reason.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
dracone on Jul 22, 2018 wrote:
Couldn't find it in the search, so I decided to make it. This thread is for talking about words that are marked inappropriate, or RED, as many of us can see. In particular for talking, mostly complaining, why some words that are marked as such when they have no real reason to be.

I'll start things off. It's happened to me a few times recently, probably the same for some you. The two words that got marked as inappropriate for me recently are, ironically the words "two" and "mechanist" but I remember encountering others way back when. Neither is a word that really needs to be censored, I can sort of forgive them flagging mechanist due to it being a lesser seen word but the word two has no such leeway in my book. Also, I tried writing out actual numbers, those also got flagged in red for some reason. That's right I tried typing 2, 6, 9, 1, and 3 at different points in the chat box but they always got marked up in red for some reason.
Numbers are flagged red to protect the privacy of players. This prevents them from giving out personal Information like addresses or phone numbers.
Rare words like "mechanist" are censored because the word program doesn't recognize it - it's not in the dictionary of the game.

Ensign
Sep 14, 2008
Guess that means the 101 dictionaries need a little more updating. Still a bummer about the numbers thing, probably the same reason you can't type the numbers out as words

player lexicons are always expanding, updating the game's collection of words every few months doesn't sound like asking too much to me.

Admiral
Oct 27, 2009
dracone on Jul 23, 2018 wrote:
Guess that means the 101 dictionaries need a little more updating. Still a bummer about the numbers thing, probably the same reason you can't type the numbers out as words

player lexicons are always expanding, updating the game's collection of words every few months doesn't sound like asking too much to me.
I have a thread for this, Say What- Improvements to Chat. It's for things you would like to have added for menu chat or added to the 101 filtered dictionary.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
dracone on Jul 23, 2018 wrote:

There are ways around typing numbers as words; I don't want to encourage players to give out personal information, but if you need to tell someone that you "need x more items or ships" then you can use sound-alike words for numbers.
BTW the filter won't let you give out a string of numbers ( even sound-alikes ) so player's privacy is also protected that way.

Admiral
Nov 01, 2013
dracone on Jul 22, 2018 wrote:

Numbers are easy ways to say personal information (ahem, phone what word? ), so those are filtered. But, as anecorbie hath sayeth, there are already ways around this glitch.

I'm not going to say them, but it's pretty easy to do. Just be very careful if you want to say numbers. Personal information is highly against the rules.

Ensign
Sep 14, 2008
Of this, I am aware. I know it's a necessary precaution, but it still is a little annoying.

Captain
Dec 06, 2012
Tomato isn't allowed and I've spelled it right my entire life.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
darkmoordude on Jul 26, 2018 wrote:
Tomato isn't allowed and I've spelled it right my entire life.
Tomato is a good example of a word that ought to be included; go to the "Say What" thread that Calamity Finch has provided and add it to the suggestions.

Ensign
Sep 14, 2008
go figure, I just found out "Japan" isn't recognized by the system, I had to break it up into "ja" and "pan" with a space between them.

Admiral
Nov 01, 2013
dracone on Jul 27, 2018 wrote:
go figure, I just found out "Japan" isn't recognized by the system, I had to break it up into "ja" and "pan" with a space between them.
Well, that would actually make sense. "Japan" is a country, a place, a location. If someone just happened to say, "I'm in Japan," then that would be personal information.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
dracone on Jul 27, 2018 wrote:
Many countries and U.S. States aren't allowed for the same reason that numbers aren't - to protect the player's privacy.

Lieutenant
Sep 04, 2013
Can’t say “weasel” despite there being weasels in game, even a Weasel Gambler companion.