Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Flanking Ability Coaching

AuthorMessage
Lieutenant
Jul 18, 2016
Ahoy everyone! So last night my good friend Slick Tarlac Emmett (Max Swashbuckler) and his other pirate Ruthless Tarlac Emmett (Max Musketeer) taught me how the Flanking ability works. For those of you who don't know what Flanking is, you make a bonus attack if you move in the correct position on the battleboard. It really breaks my heart that Swashbuckler pirates out there don't know how Flanking works and what triggers it, so I am making this thread for anyone that needs assistance and wants to know more about the Flanking ability. I can also teach Crossfire and Doomspell in addition to Flanking. The sole purpose of this thread is to teach people the Flanking ability and where to move to trigger it. I don't want Flanking to be the bane of Swashbucklers losing their hidden status, but I want it to rather be an asset and open the doors to new stratagems and new possibilities. Flanking is amazing if used correctly since you have full control over when to activate it for the free bonus attack. Let me know if you see me in the skyways and you need assistance in how to use the Flanking ability. Thanks and good luck out there in the skyways everyone! May you all get your desired boss drops.
Sincerely,
Stormy Elijah Silver (Max Swashbuckler and now Flanking master)
Corrupt Zane Silver (Max Privateer)
Dark Blaze Sharp (Max Witchdoctor)
Sly Brady Silver (Level 23 Musketeer-in-Training)

Admiral
Nov 01, 2013
crimsonreaper5 on Aug 20, 2017 wrote:
Ahoy everyone! So last night my good friend Slick Tarlac Emmett (Max Swashbuckler) and his other pirate Ruthless Tarlac Emmett (Max Musketeer) taught me how the Flanking ability works. For those of you who don't know what Flanking is, you make a bonus attack if you move in the correct position on the battleboard. It really breaks my heart that Swashbuckler pirates out there don't know how Flanking works and what triggers it, so I am making this thread for anyone that needs assistance and wants to know more about the Flanking ability. I can also teach Crossfire and Doomspell in addition to Flanking. The sole purpose of this thread is to teach people the Flanking ability and where to move to trigger it. I don't want Flanking to be the bane of Swashbucklers losing their hidden status, but I want it to rather be an asset and open the doors to new stratagems and new possibilities. Flanking is amazing if used correctly since you have full control over when to activate it for the free bonus attack. Let me know if you see me in the skyways and you need assistance in how to use the Flanking ability. Thanks and good luck out there in the skyways everyone! May you all get your desired boss drops.
Sincerely,
Great post! A lot of us Swashbucklers need to know what Flanking does. Thanks for pointing that out!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
crimsonreaper5 on Aug 20, 2017 wrote:
Sincerely,
As a swashbuckler, I know how flanking works & what triggers it; that's why I avoid training or equipping gear that grants it.
I have plenty of bonus attacks through First Strike3, Riposte4, Relentless & Bladestorm ( pet grant ).
You can try with the best of your abilities, but there are times when a flank situation is unavoidable, this is usually caused by a summons or a pet.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
I suppose that next you'll say we should train Cheap Shot or get equipment that grants Repel Boarders for the extra attack.

Ensign
Jun 12, 2009
Thank you! I know that when I was a lower level and got Harvey Leary as a companion and he had Flanking, I had no clue what it did.

Another cool thing with the Flanking ability (and other similar abilities) is that if an enemy steps between two of your companions and at least one companion has the Flanking ability, that companion will automatically attack that enemy right then, which can also be really helpful.

Community Leader
The problem I and many other swash pvpers have with flanking (especially on swashbuckler pirates), is the fact it's a high risk, low reward epic talent. Yes, most of the time you can make sure that flanking won't end your hidden early, but sometimes pets and summons interfere. If you're the red team in pvp (summons always move after the red player) and a pet or summon moves to a position where your opponent can take advantage of your having flanking, you lose a lot of tempo in that match. Now this doesn't occur frequently, but it's immensely devastating when it does. In addition flanking is a medium-low damage epic talent. It does a lot less damage than say, riposte, which is a 1.5-2X attack (but more than repel boarders or overwatch). Absolutely learn how to properly use Fan or the Battle Angel's innate flanking ability, but in general it's a bad idea to train it on companions, to use gear that grants flanking (unless we're talking about the nefarious knives), and to invest practice points on it.

Writer, Editor, Administrator, and Pirate PvP guy at FinalBastion

Check us out for all things Pirate101 and Wizard101 PvE/PvP

Lieutenant
Jul 18, 2016
anecorbie on Aug 20, 2017 wrote:
As a swashbuckler, I know how flanking works & what triggers it; that's why I avoid training or equipping gear that grants it.
I have plenty of bonus attacks through First Strike3, Riposte4, Relentless & Bladestorm ( pet grant ).
You can try with the best of your abilities, but there are times when a flank situation is unavoidable, this is usually caused by a summons or a pet.
You misunderstand. Ratbeard the game developer himself likes the Flanking ability because of one simple fact. You have full control over it and can choose when it activates. The epics First Strike and Riposte only work against melee enemies, Relentless only has a 35% chance of activating, Bladestorm only works against lucky criticals or kills, Repel Borders only works if the enemy comes into melee range, and Cheap Shot only works if the enemy disengages from you. Flanking, on the other hand, has a 100% chance of working if you do it correctly, therefore giving you an extra guaranteed attack. The reason I made this thread was for people that didn't know how to use Flanking and wanted the extra guaranteed attack that Flanking offers could speak up since I now know how to use it. And also, if you yourself know how to use Flanking, that's great. This thread is for people that want to learn more about it and how it triggers so Swashbucklers out there lose their hidden status for not knowing how it works. That being said, this thread isn't for Swashbucklers only. Flanking does wonders on Buccaneer pirates. If done correctly, Buccaneers can start their melee chains from Flanking.
Sincerely,
Stormy Elijah Silver (Max Swashbuckler)
Sly Brady Silver (Level 25 Musketeer-in-Training)

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Matthew525011 on Aug 20, 2017 wrote:
The problem I and many other swash pvpers have with flanking (especially on swashbuckler pirates), is the fact it's a high risk, low reward epic talent. Yes, most of the time you can make sure that flanking won't end your hidden early, but sometimes pets and summons interfere. If you're the red team in pvp (summons always move after the red player) and a pet or summon moves to a position where your opponent can take advantage of your having flanking, you lose a lot of tempo in that match. Now this doesn't occur frequently, but it's immensely devastating when it does. In addition flanking is a medium-low damage epic talent. It does a lot less damage than say, riposte, which is a 1.5-2X attack (but more than repel boarders or overwatch). Absolutely learn how to properly use Fan or the Battle Angel's innate flanking ability, but in general it's a bad idea to train it on companions, to use gear that grants flanking (unless we're talking about the nefarious knives), and to invest practice points on it.
It happens very frequently in PVE, too. The AI knows what talents you & your companions have and knows how to exploit them - I've seen it time and again.
I'll put Sarah Steele ( after fog ) in the far corner of the board ( with no other team mate or companion near her ) and some enemy will run right to her, triggering her Repel Boarders.
Also companions with Cheap Shot.

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
anecorbie on Aug 20, 2017 wrote:
I suppose that next you'll say we should train Cheap Shot or get equipment that grants Repel Boarders for the extra attack.
Just because you don't like that strategy doesn't mean that others may not be successful with it. There are many companions of mine who have multiple levels of Repel Boarders. And my privateer uses it, I like to think with some success.

Cheap Shot, I am not as familiar with, but combined with Relentless and Hold the Line might save some ranged companions who are stationed behind?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Willowydream on Aug 21, 2017 wrote:
Just because you don't like that strategy doesn't mean that others may not be successful with it. There are many companions of mine who have multiple levels of Repel Boarders. And my privateer uses it, I like to think with some success.

Cheap Shot, I am not as familiar with, but combined with Relentless and Hold the Line might save some ranged companions who are stationed behind?

Certainly helpful for Privateers, Witches, and Muskets ( and those types of companions ) ; but not for Bucklers.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
crimsonreaper5 on Aug 21, 2017 wrote:
You misunderstand. Ratbeard the game developer himself likes the Flanking ability because of one simple fact. You have full control over it and can choose when it activates. The epics First Strike and Riposte only work against melee enemies, Relentless only has a 35% chance of activating, Bladestorm only works against lucky criticals or kills, Repel Borders only works if the enemy comes into melee range, and Cheap Shot only works if the enemy disengages from you. Flanking, on the other hand, has a 100% chance of working if you do it correctly, therefore giving you an extra guaranteed attack. The reason I made this thread was for people that didn't know how to use Flanking and wanted the extra guaranteed attack that Flanking offers could speak up since I now know how to use it. And also, if you yourself know how to use Flanking, that's great. This thread is for people that want to learn more about it and how it triggers so Swashbucklers out there lose their hidden status for not knowing how it works. That being said, this thread isn't for Swashbucklers only. Flanking does wonders on Buccaneer pirates. If done correctly, Buccaneers can start their melee chains from Flanking.
Sincerely,
Stormy Elijah Silver (Max Swashbuckler)
Sly Brady Silver (Level 25 Musketeer-in-Training)
1. Fact is, you don't have 100% control of Flanking, sometimes it's triggered before you want to use it.
2. My Relentless must have a higher chance to activate, there isn't a round when it doesn't.
3. Extra "Guaranteed" attacks x sigh x making yourself into a second rate Buck isn't worth the trouble or heart ache of an unintended flank just as you're about to devastate an enemy ( PVE or PVP ).
4. Flanking is of more use to a Buccaneer ( Pirate or companion ) but just because it works for them, doesn't mean its good for a swashbuckler.
Bucklers don't get those melee chains or stuns from Flanking.

Community Leader
Crimsonreaper- Ratbeard is only partially correct in saying that we can ALWAYS control when flanking activates. What if you move to a certain position while hidden, a pet moves two squares away from you (leaving one tile in between), and an enemy moves in between you two. You waste your hidden attack on a low damage epic, rather than an assassin's strike, a super strike, etc. Yes, it's something you have complete control of offensively, but it still triggers if an enemy positions itself between you and another unit, which in general, isn't a good thing. Also, training flanking on a buccaneer is generally a waste (especially if you're going to pvp). You have so many chances to start chains (2 chances on each vicious/brutal/mighty charge, 2 on a super strike+bladestorm, 1 on assassin's strikes, 3 vengeance strikes per turn), the extra hit isn't worth the practice point and the risk of it backfiring when one is hidden. You should almost always have a strength buff on, which gives you a massively increased chance to chain. It also requires that you have another unit alive. You're not a privateer, you don't have forts and heals to use freely on your companions to guarantee they survive to the late game. As I said before, it's an extremely high risk, relatively low reward epic.

Anecorbie- I don't know if the enemies actually know the epic talents your companions have and how to abuse them (it's possible, but unlikely), but if there are no available targets, enemy AI tells them to go to a corner. It's likely you just got very unlucky and they went to the wrong corner.

TLDR: There are just some epics (repel boarders, cheap shot, flanking) that just SHOULD NOT be trained on buccaneers and swashes. They interact negatively with hide and have little upside. You're welcome to take the risk, but it's very easy to get harmed by these epics more than you're helped.

Writer, Editor, Administrator, and Pirate PvP guy at FinalBastion

Check us out for all things Pirate101 and Wizard101 PvE/PvP

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Willowydream on Aug 21, 2017 wrote:

Describing and instructing what these talents do, that's O.K. but when someone touts a certain talent as a "best" for a class not designed to take advantage of it, then I have the right to object and place my arguments in the thread.

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
anecorbie on Aug 21, 2017 wrote:
Describing and instructing what these talents do, that's O.K. but when someone touts a certain talent as a "best" for a class not designed to take advantage of it, then I have the right to object and place my arguments in the thread.
True - but when someone says you should "never" use a certain talent or companion, I also have the right to object.

I say again, what works for some may not work for others, and what doesn't work for some may suit others' play styles just fine.

We pirates are as myriad as the stars in the sky.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Matthew525011 on Aug 21, 2017 wrote:
Crimsonreaper- Ratbeard is only partially correct in saying that we can ALWAYS control when flanking activates. What if you move to a certain position while hidden, a pet moves two squares away from you (leaving one tile in between), and an enemy moves in between you two. You waste your hidden attack on a low damage epic, rather than an assassin's strike, a super strike, etc. Yes, it's something you have complete control of offensively, but it still triggers if an enemy positions itself between you and another unit, which in general, isn't a good thing. Also, training flanking on a buccaneer is generally a waste (especially if you're going to pvp). You have so many chances to start chains (2 chances on each vicious/brutal/mighty charge, 2 on a super strike+bladestorm, 1 on assassin's strikes, 3 vengeance strikes per turn), the extra hit isn't worth the practice point and the risk of it backfiring when one is hidden. You should almost always have a strength buff on, which gives you a massively increased chance to chain. It also requires that you have another unit alive. You're not a privateer, you don't have forts and heals to use freely on your companions to guarantee they survive to the late game. As I said before, it's an extremely high risk, relatively low reward epic.

Anecorbie- I don't know if the enemies actually know the epic talents your companions have and how to abuse them (it's possible, but unlikely), but if there are no available targets, enemy AI tells them to go to a corner. It's likely you just got very unlucky and they went to the wrong corner.

TLDR: There are just some epics (repel boarders, cheap shot, flanking) that just SHOULD NOT be trained on buccaneers and swashes. They interact negatively with hide and have little upside. You're welcome to take the risk, but it's very easy to get harmed by these epics more than you're helped.
Matthew, when I'm hidden ( in fog ) the enemy always runs to the North side of the board ( top of screen ). I know this so I place Sarah to the South - and guess what? The enemy go there and if the board is small enough, they'll trigger Sarah's Repel.

Lieutenant
Mar 27, 2014
this may seem like a really cheap move but when I am facing bucklers I always check to see if they have Flanking. if they do then I can use that to my advantage. they will use Fog to hide the team and move up to get ready so I send in a bulky companion to trigger flank and make them lose hidden so I can shoot them and not worry about a 4X Sneak Attack/Assassin's Strike.

Captain
Oct 26, 2012
I fully agree with Anercorbie on this one. I have been a buckler for a long time. Swashbuckler style relies on hiding, buffing and attacking, it has not changed. Flanking/Repel/Cheap Shot are essential to master for companions like Fan and Sarah, and I appreciate you crimsonreaper for promoting an understanding of the mechanics of flanking, however these are a nuisance as they counteract a swashbucklers most vital asset- the ability to remain hidden.

If you want bonus hits, I would also recommend training talents like relentless, and blade storm. I also have burst fire on that list with my shooty stabby style of play. As of now I have 3 extra relentless, 3 extra burst fires, and a blade storm that all frequently trigger each round. 7 bonus hits with a lethal haywire shooty/stabby weapon. Very good damage, I recommend it. These are also much more lethal than flanking. And the best part of all- they won't affect your hidden stealth .