Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Question about Privateers from a new pirate

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Jul 07, 2017
The classes all seem to have buffs which support their type of companions - strength buffs taught by mordekai for buccaneers, agility buffs taught by ol fish eye for musketeers.

However, when it comes to privateers, im not seeing a lot of viable options for privateer companions. Specifically, companions which boost off will (which privateers naturally learn buffs for). I suppose there is lucky jack russel, the marchioness, and perhaps catbeard??? But none of these seem particularly good for high level pvp, and so i've seen online privateers simply using the mainstream companions like nausica, goronado, and maybe something like egg shen. And though privateer does have some insane buffs which help any kind of class of companions, it seems like a waste to have all these will buffs which aren't ever used in high level pvp because will companions just aren't common enough.

Am i missing something? Am i misinformed? I am relatively new so i'd sure like some answers.
This question basically stems from a larger one, of what class to pick. I've gone to level 11 in musketeer and briefly tried all the rest, but i'm the type of person to want a plan so i've been doing a lot of research into pirate101 mechanics and such, and i feel like i know somewhat what im talking about, and i don't want to pick privateer if their will buffs which seem fantastic are going to be wasted..

Thanks!
(another smaller question i have is, what buffs do the places you were raised give. I have heard you should pick spooky because it gives 5% spell buff rather than the others which give +5 in their respective attribute. Is this still current?? All the pirate101 info online is from like 2015 so its hard to know if it still applies)

- ricemann

Lieutenant
Nov 14, 2015
Ahoy!

Great questions

I am just leveling my privateer, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

Marchioness is actually a great companion. She has a will buff (which helps her do more damage and chain more), a guaranteed super hit, and the ability to rid everyone around her of debuffs: something very useful against, say, a witchdoctor.

Gracie Conrad is another viable option if you are playing more defensively. Along with a guaranteed mega hit, she also has a summon (which makes for great cannon fodder and or a wall), and a trap that, if you have Old Scratch, can do some pretty nice damage.

I use Old Scratch in almost every fight. His Mojo buffs are very useful, his summon is nice, and he even gets a little drain in case he is low health.

Emmett is useful only if you intend to play defensively. His slows can buy you a few rounds. In this time, you can buff, lay down traps and summons (if you have them), or chip away at the enemy team with bombs. Give him overwatch 3 and you can reduce charging units' accuracy. Pair this with battle zeal and enemies will not land any hits.

Ugga Bugga? It seems to me like this might be a pretty good privateer companion, but since I have never used him, I have no idea. His selection of spells might come in handy though.

Bam. A list of good companions that all use will. Hope this helped.

Also, my privateer's origin was krokotopia. The spell power buff is just more useful to me.

Admiral
Jun 02, 2013
Your right, I have a lvl 54 privy and there aren't that many good companions to use for PvP which boost off of will compared to the other classes. With the exception of companions like Gracie Conrad and The Marchioness.

Also i will try to list the bonuses on your home world

Krokotopia - 5% spell damage bonus

Grizzleheim - 5% tough bonus

Marleybone - 5% accuracy bonus

Skull island - 5% dodgy bonus

Mooshu - 5% damage bonus

Commodore
Feb 02, 2013
I typically never use the will buffs unless im in some team pvp or really late game in a 1v1 when its pirate vs pirate and im trying to get a crit assassin, but generally i dont have the time to use them, privateer is strong enough without them, our strength lies elsewhere, and yes always go with spooky unless your a buck, and even then its still very good

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
ricemann on Jul 15, 2017 wrote:
The classes all seem to have buffs which support their type of companions - strength buffs taught by mordekai for buccaneers, agility buffs taught by ol fish eye for musketeers.

However, when it comes to privateers, im not seeing a lot of viable options for privateer companions. Specifically, companions which boost off will (which privateers naturally learn buffs for). I suppose there is lucky jack russel, the marchioness, and perhaps catbeard??? But none of these seem particularly good for high level pvp, and so i've seen online privateers simply using the mainstream companions like nausica, goronado, and maybe something like egg shen. And though privateer does have some insane buffs which help any kind of class of companions, it seems like a waste to have all these will buffs which aren't ever used in high level pvp because will companions just aren't common enough.

Am i missing something? Am i misinformed? I am relatively new so i'd sure like some answers.
This question basically stems from a larger one, of what class to pick. I've gone to level 11 in musketeer and briefly tried all the rest, but i'm the type of person to want a plan so i've been doing a lot of research into pirate101 mechanics and such, and i feel like i know somewhat what im talking about, and i don't want to pick privateer if their will buffs which seem fantastic are going to be wasted..

Thanks!
(another smaller question i have is, what buffs do the places you were raised give. I have heard you should pick spooky because it gives 5% spell buff rather than the others which give +5 in their respective attribute. Is this still current?? All the pirate101 info online is from like 2015 so its hard to know if it still applies)

- ricemann
For a Privateer, a Spooky bonus ( Krokotopia origin ) seems to be preferred by most players of this class. But you can still be as effective with a Griz origin ( bonus to health ) or MooShu origin ( weapon damage bonus ).
It depends on how you will play your Privateer, will he/she stay in the back or do you intend to go into the battle?
Witchdoctor companions are also effected by a Will boost besides Privateers.

Lieutenant
Nov 14, 2015
There really is no reason to only use companions that are will based. We have so many other amazing buffs at our disposal (critical chance, accuracy, dodge, armor and resistance, and even weapon power). We also can make our companions almost un-killable with the ancient art of shield spamming

Ensign
Nov 22, 2009
So, from the sound of this thread, I may have taken a slightly odd path with my Privateer; but it works for me pretty well.
Privateers have an interesting advantage in that our school comes with healing spells included, meaning you can spend training points on pretty much whatever you want. I went for a rather diversified route, picking up abilities and powers I thought looked useful from pretty much every school. Word of advice: might not be a bad idea to pick up some "extra spooky" talents from Vadima early, as these will boost some privateer abilities.

In my experience, playing as a privateer solo and playing with others can call for different play styles. When I solo, I am very hands on: I use the attacks I've picked up from other schools to blast through opponents and buff my crew to do the same. When I fight in a group, I take on a support role: buff allies, send crew where needed, heal Calamity's buccaneer after she does a Reckless Frenzy...and more often than not, stay out of the way of the pirates who are better equipped to charge headfirst into battle. This was a bit of an adjustment for me to make: my previous KI experience was playing as a Fire wizard (which has a lot more in common with swashbucklery, for those not familiar).

Stats-wise, I go for high will and high dodge, mostly. I picked up every rank in loud, the idea being to attract attention away from my crew and then dodge said attention. Sometimes useful. I also tend to pick Staffy/Slashy weapons, as these let me use my massive will stat for criticals, as well as two separate weapon boost skills. I personally think they're the ideal privateer weapon.

I usually like to use a mix of companion classes to make the most of the critical mechanics. For specific companions, I'll say that with the right combo of epics, Egg Shen is an absolute beast, Jack Russell can go toe to toe with most buccaneers, and Emmett is both great for going against musketeers and for supplying a little extra healing power.

Ensign
Nov 22, 2009
On the topic of will-based companions, my privateer crew sheet currently lists eight privateer companions and two witch doctors. Privateers get more buccaneers than anything else, with privateers as a close second, musketeers in third, and swashbucklers fourth.

Captain
Apr 24, 2016
witchdoctor daruis on Jul 15, 2017 wrote:
Your right, I have a lvl 54 privy and there aren't that many good companions to use for PvP which boost off of will compared to the other classes. With the exception of companions like Gracie Conrad and The Marchioness.

Mooshu - 5% damage bonus
mooshu, I think, gives a 5 damage boost, not 5%. also donna, I took a weird path with my privateer, she has swash talents along with her privy talents. and for her team, she uses contessa, marchioness, and either bonnie anne or old scratch. or my haywire musket. I don't have much advice, mostly because I'm bad at giving advice.

Admiral
Nov 01, 2013
Welcome to the Message Boards, Ricemann!

First Mate
Dec 29, 2012
witchdoctor daruis on Jul 15, 2017 wrote:

Mooshu - 5% damage bonus
Are they all percentages? I thought two of them (Marleybone and Mooshu) were simply flat +5 increases.