Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Avery's Cour Life Fountain

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Mar 02, 2010
I'm not sure if this has been asked before, but can the Avery's Court life fountain be made so it doesn't bind you to it anymore? I find that it can be a little bit annoying sometimes since you visit Skull Island for pretty much anything (companion revivals, the Bazaar, potion refills) and you can't teleport back to somewhere near your location of questing via life fountain if it's in another world since you're now bound to the one in Avery's court. You can mark locations, but sometimes you want to keep something else marked for your own convenience (Clock Works dock, Moo tower, Brawlin' Hall, Spar Chamber) and you would lose that. I know that there's supposed to be a certain mystery behind life fountains, but it's often a really long ship ride back if you're paying through crowns and can't afford to transportalate.

I know that this isn't really that important, but just thought it would be a nice QOL change for the game.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
PvP King on Apr 11, 2017 wrote:
I'm not sure if this has been asked before, but can the Avery's Court life fountain be made so it doesn't bind you to it anymore? I find that it can be a little bit annoying sometimes since you visit Skull Island for pretty much anything (companion revivals, the Bazaar, potion refills) and you can't teleport back to somewhere near your location of questing via life fountain if it's in another world since you're now bound to the one in Avery's court. You can mark locations, but sometimes you want to keep something else marked for your own convenience (Clock Works dock, Moo tower, Brawlin' Hall, Spar Chamber) and you would lose that. I know that there's supposed to be a certain mystery behind life fountains, but it's often a really long ship ride back if you're paying through crowns and can't afford to transportalate.

I know that this isn't really that important, but just thought it would be a nice QOL change for the game.
All Life Fountains bind you, making an exception would just be too much work for KI developers and be a headache for those players who want to use the Avery's Court fountain as a recall point.
Did you know that using the transportalator to Skull Island is FREE? ( no gold or crowns needed to use it to port to SI. )
That way, you don't lose a mark.

Ensign
Mar 02, 2010
anecorbie on Apr 11, 2017 wrote:
All Life Fountains bind you, making an exception would just be too much work for KI developers and be a headache for those players who want to use the Avery's Court fountain as a recall point.
Did you know that using the transportalator to Skull Island is FREE? ( no gold or crowns needed to use it to port to SI. )
That way, you don't lose a mark.
Unless I clearly see a direct post from a KI developer saying that removing the binding nature of Avery's Court life fountain is far too difficult to code, neither you or I can or should make any form of comment on whether it really is or not. I really dislike when other players use this as an excuse for turning down an idea (unless it's blatantly obvious like remaking all of Cool Ranch's quest lines), as the comment has no constructive value and just takes away from a post.

One of the buttons is a direct teleport to Avery's Court from anywhere in the game to the exact same spot where Avery's Court Life Fountain binds you. It's odd how you get bound to Avery Court's life fountain even though you can teleport there directly whenever you want and from wherever you want. I forgot to mention in the original post, but this technically means that your pirate is always "bound" to that certain life fountain. After all, how does your pirate really get back there?

Yes, I understand that it's free to transportalate to Skull Island and that you don't get bound if you're just making a short trip to the Bazaar, but that idea falters when you have to train a new power from your teacher, visit Miracle Mitch to revive your companions, or do whatever else is inside of Avery's Court itself since the life fountain is there.

P.S Can a moderator please edit the title and add the missing 'T' where it should spell Court? It's really bugging me..

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
PvP King on Apr 12, 2017 wrote:
Unless I clearly see a direct post from a KI developer saying that removing the binding nature of Avery's Court life fountain is far too difficult to code, neither you or I can or should make any form of comment on whether it really is or not. I really dislike when other players use this as an excuse for turning down an idea (unless it's blatantly obvious like remaking all of Cool Ranch's quest lines), as the comment has no constructive value and just takes away from a post.

One of the buttons is a direct teleport to Avery's Court from anywhere in the game to the exact same spot where Avery's Court Life Fountain binds you. It's odd how you get bound to Avery Court's life fountain even though you can teleport there directly whenever you want and from wherever you want. I forgot to mention in the original post, but this technically means that your pirate is always "bound" to that certain life fountain. After all, how does your pirate really get back there?

Yes, I understand that it's free to transportalate to Skull Island and that you don't get bound if you're just making a short trip to the Bazaar, but that idea falters when you have to train a new power from your teacher, visit Miracle Mitch to revive your companions, or do whatever else is inside of Avery's Court itself since the life fountain is there.

P.S Can a moderator please edit the title and add the missing 'T' where it should spell Court? It's really bugging me..
You've completely ignored my point about players wanting to use the Avery's Court Life Fountain - if this binding was removed then lower leveled pirates would have no place to go when defeated ( and this does happen, despite how easy SI enemies have become ) Other players may want to use that fountain as a "bind" as well.
All I see here is a player demanding that KI undo hours of coding to cater to his specific needs.
Either make a mark before you go train yourself or pets or don't.

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
PvP King on Apr 12, 2017 wrote:

I too wish that the Life Fountain in Avery's Court did not bind us. There is plenty of yum floating around to heal, and as you say, we can port to Skull Island instantly from anywhere.

Maybe it would solve the soggy sock problem for next Yuletide as well if the Life Fountain in the court was replaced with a different statue or something?

Ensign
Jan 03, 2009
Considering the Life Fountain is where you go when you're defeated, what happens to all those people who lose a battle on or near Skull Island?

It seems that the button to Skull Island was placed there as a convenience and acknowledgment of the fact that Pirates would be returning to Avery's Court many many times. It seems convenient that they allow you to mark a location to teleport back to in order to cut down on travel times (something I'd use for those long multi-Stormgate odysseys prior to the transportalators). It was awesome and a further convenience when they added the ability to transportalate to the major locations in each zone for a fee that seems steep to a newer player but should be pennies to someone who has seen much of the available Spiral. I can barely keep myself from hitting the gold limit everyday as it is!

I'm all for convenience but I think they've put enough convenience into this aspect of the game as it is. For something mentioned as "not that important" and "a little bit annoying" I think they could spend their time on more pressing matters. Like a new world.

Ensign
Mar 02, 2010
anecorbie on Apr 12, 2017 wrote:
You've completely ignored my point about players wanting to use the Avery's Court Life Fountain - if this binding was removed then lower leveled pirates would have no place to go when defeated ( and this does happen, despite how easy SI enemies have become ) Other players may want to use that fountain as a "bind" as well.
All I see here is a player demanding that KI undo hours of coding to cater to his specific needs.
Either make a mark before you go train yourself or pets or don't.
If you're not bound to a life fountain, it could simply take you to Avery's Court once defeated (just like Wizard101) and if you're bound to a life fountain, it will simply take you to that one. If your next point is "what if somebody went from the junction to Skull Island and was defeated in Skull Mountain? He would recall in the Junction!" then you're in luck because there's already a button that takes you exactly where the Avery's Court life fountain recall takes you.

"Other players may want to use that fountain as a 'bind' as well."
Again, like I said, there's a button that lets you teleport directly to Avery's Court, the exact same spot where teleporting to that life fountain takes you. It can be used from anywhere, at anytime and will always remain as a teleport to Skull Island. If you really wanted to use the life fountain in Avery's Court that badly, then feel free to use the recall to Skull Island button.
"...demanding that KI undo hours of coding..."
Like I said in my last reply to you, you're in no position to be telling me or anybody what "too much work" or "hours of coding" is for KI, so stop making those comments. I highly doubt you've coded one line for the game, so I don't know why you're talking like it's your own time being used. It's not yours, mine, or any player on these boards's concern to gauge how much work KI put(s) into code.
"...to cater to his specific needs."
Every single suggestion (other than new content suggestions) on these boards is asking for something to be modified for their own needs. This thread isn't anything unique. And what do you know, KI did in fact respond to players "demanding KI do hours of coding to cater to their specific needs" when they added stagecoaches in Cool Ranch just for the player's conveniences.
"Either make a mark before you go train yourself or pets or don't"
You clearly missed the part where I said "you can mark locations, but sometimes you want to keep something else marked for your own convenience."

Ensign
Mar 02, 2010
Condition Red on Apr 12, 2017 wrote:
Considering the Life Fountain is where you go when you're defeated, what happens to all those people who lose a battle on or near Skull Island?

It seems that the button to Skull Island was placed there as a convenience and acknowledgment of the fact that Pirates would be returning to Avery's Court many many times. It seems convenient that they allow you to mark a location to teleport back to in order to cut down on travel times (something I'd use for those long multi-Stormgate odysseys prior to the transportalators). It was awesome and a further convenience when they added the ability to transportalate to the major locations in each zone for a fee that seems steep to a newer player but should be pennies to someone who has seen much of the available Spiral. I can barely keep myself from hitting the gold limit everyday as it is!

I'm all for convenience but I think they've put enough convenience into this aspect of the game as it is. For something mentioned as "not that important" and "a little bit annoying" I think they could spend their time on more pressing matters. Like a new world.
When you get defeated in Skull Island, it could take you to Avery's Court (or the docks if you purposely bound yourself there). If you're from a far away location and got defeated in say, the Gauntlet, it would recall you to your last life fountain and you would have to manually press 'Teleport to Skull Island' and go back through that method. Or, it could be changed so that being defeated in Skull Island would always recall you to Avery's Court's life fountain.

I agree, there is a nice amount of convenience added for players, but there isn't anything wrong with changing something that's rather inconvenient at times. Yes, I did say it isn't that important, but I highly doubt changing something like that would completely deter KI from releasing a new world. After all, they always manage time to correct loads of inconveniences in the game within each major update, just look at the large lists under "Additional Bug Fixes" or "Pets" or "Combat" or "Upkeep and Maintenance" under each update note. There's quite a lot of "minor" changes being done.

Captain
Jan 17, 2012
I've had my moments of "argh"-ness myself, when after I finish raising my companions a level after my pirate has gone up a level, I teleport back to Aquila where I had dropped a mark, right in front of the dungeon I was going to do next, finish the dungeon, then hit the life fountain button, expecting to be taken back to the life fountain near the dock....only to end up back at Avery Court and have to sail back. ARGH!!

I don't know if unbinding you from that one life fountain is the answer, though. Remember the life fountain in Mooshu that is all the way back by the geysers and Stupendor X? That one was put there either to make it easy to get to Stupendor X (which I doubt, seeing as you have no idea it is by a life fountain until you get there) or else to cause you endless trouble getting out of the Valley of the Titans. I suspect the latter. I ended up making a habit of dropping a park by the entrance to the Valley of the Titans precisely to solve this problem.

Personally, I would rather see all the life fountains become optional bindings, which you invoke by standing by it and hitting X, just as you would to heal. Want to heal without binding? There is usually yum fruit hanging around every life fountain.

Lieutenant
Mar 23, 2012
My two cents; keep the port to Avery's court button so we can port there, but deactivate the life fountain there. Keep the model for aesthetics, but place a new life fountain near where we meet Bonnie Anne for the first time.

That way, we can port to Avery's court without locking in, (there is no need to ever have 2 go to skull Island buttons, 3 if you place a custom marker next to the fountain and are truly masochistic) the new guys have somewhere to respawn (which would realistically be closer to the action anyway) and life goes on.

Gunner's Mate
Jan 27, 2011
Personally: The Skull Island button itself needs to function like how Wizard101's 'Main World Location' button works. In W101, you return to the Commons in Wizard City, or Krokotopia's equivalent if you go to Krokotopia. P101 doesn't have this function and really should, especially for big worlds like (shudders) Cool Ranch.

As for the Fountain: you're wrong Anecorbie this would NOT require extensive work. It's a simple matter of Coding, nothing to do with Design. Since the Code is clearly written for 'Fountains' (keeping this as simplified as possible), the only course of action that needs to be taken is renaming Avery's Fountain. In other words, if it were renamed/labeled as Avery's Box then it wouldn't fall in the same parameters as the other Fountains. It can still heal, it just won't be marked as a return point for if you're defeated. I don't know what Engine P101 is made with, but if it's Unity (for example): delete the code file from the object. Simple.

HOWEVER, this causes a new problem: you won't have a link when you first start the game. By this, I mean fresh, level 1 Pirates won't be bound to this Fountain when they go to Skull Mountain. The best solution I can think of, for this, is to have new recruits start off on the pier instead of in Avery's Court, so they're linked to the Fountain at the Docks. It'd be a small trek to reach Avery, but at least it feels more like you're actually searching for Avery instead of just magically appearing at his doorstep.

An alternate solution to the Fountain issue is to replace it with the Transportalator. That way the 'teleport' button can be changed to take you to the 'Main Commons' of the world you're in instead of only Avery's Court.

Honestly, though, nothing really needs to be done. It's best to worry about more important updates right now than a tiny coding tweak.

Ensign
Mar 02, 2010
Max DeGroot on Apr 14, 2017 wrote:
I've had my moments of "argh"-ness myself, when after I finish raising my companions a level after my pirate has gone up a level, I teleport back to Aquila where I had dropped a mark, right in front of the dungeon I was going to do next, finish the dungeon, then hit the life fountain button, expecting to be taken back to the life fountain near the dock....only to end up back at Avery Court and have to sail back. ARGH!!

I don't know if unbinding you from that one life fountain is the answer, though. Remember the life fountain in Mooshu that is all the way back by the geysers and Stupendor X? That one was put there either to make it easy to get to Stupendor X (which I doubt, seeing as you have no idea it is by a life fountain until you get there) or else to cause you endless trouble getting out of the Valley of the Titans. I suspect the latter. I ended up making a habit of dropping a park by the entrance to the Valley of the Titans precisely to solve this problem.

Personally, I would rather see all the life fountains become optional bindings, which you invoke by standing by it and hitting X, just as you would to heal. Want to heal without binding? There is usually yum fruit hanging around every life fountain.
This post actually just gave me another idea for the life fountain in Avery's Court. While making all life fountains optional bindings would be pretty sweet, another alternative I would like to suggest is to make Avery's Court life fountain an optional binding while having the other ones become automatic binds as they normally are. This way all life fountains will work the exact same way they always have (except the one in Avery's Court of course) but you'd only be bound to the one in Avery's Court if you press a certain button to do so. What do you think?

Lieutenant
Mar 23, 2012
Nightblood1995 on Apr 15, 2017 wrote:
Personally: The Skull Island button itself needs to function like how Wizard101's 'Main World Location' button works. In W101, you return to the Commons in Wizard City, or Krokotopia's equivalent if you go to Krokotopia. P101 doesn't have this function and really should, especially for big worlds like (shudders) Cool Ranch.

As for the Fountain: you're wrong Anecorbie this would NOT require extensive work. It's a simple matter of Coding, nothing to do with Design. Since the Code is clearly written for 'Fountains' (keeping this as simplified as possible), the only course of action that needs to be taken is renaming Avery's Fountain. In other words, if it were renamed/labeled as Avery's Box then it wouldn't fall in the same parameters as the other Fountains. It can still heal, it just won't be marked as a return point for if you're defeated. I don't know what Engine P101 is made with, but if it's Unity (for example): delete the code file from the object. Simple.

HOWEVER, this causes a new problem: you won't have a link when you first start the game. By this, I mean fresh, level 1 Pirates won't be bound to this Fountain when they go to Skull Mountain. The best solution I can think of, for this, is to have new recruits start off on the pier instead of in Avery's Court, so they're linked to the Fountain at the Docks. It'd be a small trek to reach Avery, but at least it feels more like you're actually searching for Avery instead of just magically appearing at his doorstep.

An alternate solution to the Fountain issue is to replace it with the Transportalator. That way the 'teleport' button can be changed to take you to the 'Main Commons' of the world you're in instead of only Avery's Court.

Honestly, though, nothing really needs to be done. It's best to worry about more important updates right now than a tiny coding tweak.
I love the idea of starting the game for the first time at the docks and having to trek to Avery's office. That feels more immersion.

Captain
Jun 10, 2013
Please don't get rid of the Life Fountain in Avery's Court, that's 1 of the most used life fountains in the game I guarantee you. My idea on how to fix this problem is to change the teleport to Skull Island button from teleporting you to Avery's Court to teleporting you to the area where the Bazaar, Spar Chamber, and Tavern are. This way it would not change the life fountain you are binded to because there is no life fountain in that area/zone, problem solved.

Admiral
Nov 01, 2013
PvP King on Apr 11, 2017 wrote:

I'm sorry, PvP King, but I'm going to have to disagree with you. The Life Fountain has helped me so many times, as it acts as a sort of "Secondary Recall/Mark". I would never want the bounds to be taken out; then my Marks would have to go all over the place and it would cost me a whole lot of Gold!

- The Dashing Swashbuckler, A.K.A. Helpful Aurora Parker, Level 61 Swashbuckler
- The Reckless Pirate, A.K.A. Brave Kiley, Level 26 Buccaneer
- The Leading Commodore, A.K.A. Nora, Level 12 Privateer
- The Lazy Sharpshooter, A.K.A. Destiny Galway, Level 9 Musketeer

Ensign
Mar 02, 2010
RRRRZZZZ419 on May 9, 2017 wrote:
Please don't get rid of the Life Fountain in Avery's Court, that's 1 of the most used life fountains in the game I guarantee you. My idea on how to fix this problem is to change the teleport to Skull Island button from teleporting you to Avery's Court to teleporting you to the area where the Bazaar, Spar Chamber, and Tavern are. This way it would not change the life fountain you are binded to because there is no life fountain in that area/zone, problem solved.
Nobody's asking to get rid of the life fountain itself, just the fact that it binds you. But now that you brought that up, that's a pretty good idea. Having the "Teleport to Avery's Court" button be customizable with the options to set it on the Spar Chamber, Brawlin Hall, Bazaar, Bestia, Morphing Tent, Kraken's Skull Tavern, Avery's Court or the class buildings would be a great way to keep both sides happy.

Captain
Jun 10, 2013
Well, you wouldn't have to make it customizable to solve this problem. Currently the teleport to Avery's court button teleports you to outside near the life fountain in Avery's court, all I was saying is to make the button teleport you outside to near the Bazaar, Spar Chamber, and Tavern. I never said for it to teleport you inside the Bazaar, Spar Chamber, or Tavern.

Captain
Jan 17, 2012
The life fountain in Avery Court is important for new members, so they know what it is and how it is used.

You might make it so when you click the Skull Island button, it takes you to the group of shops rather than Avery Court. That would prevent you from being tied to a life fountain until you went up to Avery Court or down to the docks.

Ensign
Mar 02, 2010
Helpful Aurora Par... on May 9, 2017 wrote:
I'm sorry, PvP King, but I'm going to have to disagree with you. The Life Fountain has helped me so many times, as it acts as a sort of "Secondary Recall/Mark". I would never want the bounds to be taken out; then my Marks would have to go all over the place and it would cost me a whole lot of Gold!

- The Dashing Swashbuckler, A.K.A. Helpful Aurora Parker, Level 61 Swashbuckler
- The Reckless Pirate, A.K.A. Brave Kiley, Level 26 Buccaneer
- The Leading Commodore, A.K.A. Nora, Level 12 Privateer
- The Lazy Sharpshooter, A.K.A. Destiny Galway, Level 9 Musketeer
Just wondering, if there's the 'Teleport to Avery's Court' button that takes you to exactly the same place the Avery's Court life fountain recall does, why would you need to mark more places and use more gold? I feel like some people misunderstand what the main point is. My original suggestion was to keep the 'Teleport to Avery's Court' button the way it is, so you can simply teleport there whenever you like, but just make it so it doesn't change which life fountain your pirate is bound to if you're bound to another one.

Here's an example: say you wanted to take a short trip to the bazaar from Icy Docks in Mooshu, but you know if you teleport to Avery's Court, you can't come back to Icy Docks unless you mark it. If you do choose to mark the Icy Docks, you'll lose whatever other mark you had before (a quick teleport back to the quest giver, an important dungeon you farm a lot, etc). If you do decide that you don't want to lose your marked area you had before, you'll have to pay 1000 gold to go to Hamamitsu Gardens, have to go back on your ship and sail to Subata Skyway, and then finally reach the Icy Dock again.

With my suggestion, all that will simply happen is you'll click 'Teleport to Avery's Court' like you normally do, but your bounded life fountain won't change to the one in Avery's Court, it'll stay as the Icy Dock life fountain, and once you finish up your trip to the bazaar you can recall to Icy Dock via the life fountain teleport and you'll be there. You're still able to teleport to Avery's Court whenever you want, but all that's changed is that it doesn't mess up your life fountain recall anymore.

A bunch of people have been commenting saying they'll lose their most used life fountain when you're already able to recall to Avery's Court whenever you want, so I'm not sure what people are getting at. I'm guessing a lot of people just misunderstood the main post.