Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Max Armor or Health

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Jan 28, 2016
Hey so my companion build is max armor, but i'm thinking that health might be better. Which ones do you guys prefer?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Greaver5686 on Apr 9, 2017 wrote:
Hey so my companion build is max armor, but i'm thinking that health might be better. Which ones do you guys prefer?
Armor. High Armor vs. enemies Accuracy usually stops criticals.

Community Leader
Health is better. Having an extra 500 health is infinitely more useful than taking a bit less damage from melee classes. Anecorbie's claim about armor and criticals is completely inaccurate. The more of the attacker's primary stat you have (high strength will crit more often on someone with 30 less strength than 15 less strength), the less likely a crit is to happen. In addition accuracy doesn't affect criticals in the slightest. The game's formula decides whether a hit will crit before accuracy and dodge are factored in

Writer, Editor, Administrator, and Pirate PvP guy at FinalBastion

Check us out for all things Pirate101 and Wizard101 PvE/PvP

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Matthew525011 on Apr 11, 2017 wrote:
Health is better. Having an extra 500 health is infinitely more useful than taking a bit less damage from melee classes. Anecorbie's claim about armor and criticals is completely inaccurate. The more of the attacker's primary stat you have (high strength will crit more often on someone with 30 less strength than 15 less strength), the less likely a crit is to happen. In addition accuracy doesn't affect criticals in the slightest. The game's formula decides whether a hit will crit before accuracy and dodge are factored in
We'll have to agree to disagree about that issue, but giving max armor or health to ALL classes of companions isn't a good way to train them. For instance, Swashbucklers need Dodge and Agility, don't give max Armor or Tough to them. Witchdoctors and Privateers benefit from Spirit and Spooky. Musketeers need lots of Accuracy and Agility, also.
The only class that benefits from high health or armor is the Buccaneer.

Ensign
Jan 28, 2016
so here's my build on the companions:

Witchdoctor
rough 4
will 4
spooky 4
accuracy 4(not sure if it lowers the fizzle)
armor 1

Musketeers
rough 4
agile 4
armor 4
accuracy 4
health 1

Buccaneers
rough 4
strength 4
accuracy 4
armor 4
health 1

Swashbuckler
rough 4
agile 4
accuracy 4
dodgy 4
armor 1

Privateers
rough 4
will 4
accuracy 4
armor 4
health 1

as you can see, i give each class max rough (for damage), accuracy (land hits more, but not sure about the fizzle), their respective class trait (strength, will and agile for more damage and critical), and dodgy just for swashbuckler, plus some riposte privateers.

All these talents are the same for the companions with the same class like Ratbeard with Hawkules and Bonnie with Zeena.

so here's the thing, which class should i switch out between health and armor?
and do witch doctor need accuracy (excluding doctor noh)?

Community Leader
anecorbie on Apr 11, 2017 wrote:
We'll have to agree to disagree about that issue, but giving max armor or health to ALL classes of companions isn't a good way to train them. For instance, Swashbucklers need Dodge and Agility, don't give max Armor or Tough to them. Witchdoctors and Privateers benefit from Spirit and Spooky. Musketeers need lots of Accuracy and Agility, also.
Giving every class max health is a staple in both pve and pvp. Giving companions of any class an additional 500 health and thus significantly increased deal of survivability is too good to pass up on. I (as well as almost every other competent pvp'er in the game) find that the best build for the vast majority of companions is:
Tough 4 (Getting max value out of one's companions is necessary, and 500 additional health can help accomplish this)
Rough 4 (more damage = good)
Primary Stat [Strength, Agility, Will] 4 (more weapon power and crit chance is always helpful), Accurate 4 (It doesn't matter how high your damage, dodge, or armor is, if a comp can't land hits it's a dead weight)
Dodgy 1.
Obviously, the only exceptions are spell power based witches and privies, such as Gracie and Scratch.There is no class that truly benefits from training Armored or Resistant 4 more than they would by training into another talent line. Dodgy 4 is marginally viable AT BEST on swashbuckler companions. Although I do like dodgy 4, and will give you that it has the potential to be helpful, the other four are much more beneficial for combat. I get it, you may think that another way is better, but I promise you tough 4, along with the other stats I laid out, are quintessential talents that every companion in the game should train.

Writer, Editor, Administrator, and Pirate PvP guy at FinalBastion

Check us out for all things Pirate101 and Wizard101 PvE/PvP

Petty Officer
Jan 03, 2010
anecorbie on Apr 11, 2017 wrote:
These comments are incredibly ignorant and make me question your judgement. You can't "disagree" with hard, concrete facts. Tough 4 is absolutely necessary on all companions if the goal is an optimal build, actually. Armor is a terrible investment on a companion, and I have no idea where you came up with the idea that it somehow impacted critical chance.

Anywho, in response to the OP-
Tough 4 - Accurate 4 - Rough 4 - Strong/Agile/Spirited 4 (- or Dodgy 4 for Swashbucklers and the occasional defensive companion such as Ratbeard). Spooky is only worth it on companions with powers based off of spell power (Gracie/Scratch etc.) but aside from those 2 you're probably much better off investing into Will (Spirited 4).

And don't let anyone else tell you different.

Ensign
Jan 28, 2016
WOAH thnx for these information! What about accuracy for witch? will it reduce fizzling?

Ensign
Jan 28, 2016