Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

To Ratbeard a Solution to First Mates boon problem

AuthorMessage
Lieutenant
Jun 08, 2009
Hi i'm a privateer main since several years ago and I've always been into PvP I've hit the rank of Champion in the summer of last year and this spring and through all the patches and changes we've always had a class that was considered to be the best in this case privateers for several reason and one of them being First Mate's boon.

The power has 2 requirements, 1 you must have a companion and 2 they must be standing next to you both scenarios are easy to meet most of them time however in that same effect it also makes the power weak as that means if you want to use boon and use your companion to attack that turn You must be in range to attack as well and that usually means your opponent can attack you the turn you use first mates boon.

However the problem occurs when you add 2 companions that seem to constantly abuse new powers and buffs Goronado and Nausica. Goro's Vicious charge + jump and Nausica's Centaur charge pretty much continue to define the way pvp is played it's because of these 2 companions musketeers are held back and Witches must go full defense build otherwise get blown to bits turn 2. These 2 companions pretty much force muskets to carry sprocket key on them in order to counter the Valors armor/Fort centaur charge or something similar from goro no other 2 companions are able to do this. I know they have dozens of counters hold the line, webs, overwatch3/true grit3 etc exist but with First mates Boon these 2 abuse it to a even greater degree.

I've had situations when goronado alone would be able to reach me turn 2 and after a vicious charge chain into relentless would leave me or 1 of my companions at red. I've had nausica super strike me turn 2 and kill me that turn before. I've adapted to it and I've managed to win regardless however now with first mates boon the damage is absolutely absurd. I'm more or less forced to use fort on myself have nausica or goro charge take out 1 of my companions that turn and then i'm forced to use purge because otherwise how can I kill a nausica or goro with fort on them themselves who also have First mates boon and then leave myself open to the counter attack and my enemy only losses 1 boon and 1 fort while I lose 1 companion, 1 fort half my health and my purge as well as still having to deal with a more or less fully health nausica or goro

Now my solution is simple since i'm against doing anything to companions I think the best solution is giving First mates Boon bonus power a range for example if i'm using boon my companion can't get 4 spaces away from me or else they'll lose that bonus. That still Makes Boon Very effective doesn't affect its power But it Hits the biggest issue which is kamikaze gorillas and horses and it gives the opponent a chance to strike back as that would put them in range to counter attack as well.

If anyone has a better suggestion or would think of anything more to add please comment

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Sunny Wolf on Jun 30, 2016 wrote:
Hi i'm a privateer main since several years ago and I've always been into PvP I've hit the rank of Champion in the summer of last year and this spring and through all the patches and changes we've always had a class that was considered to be the best in this case privateers for several reason and one of them being First Mate's boon.

The power has 2 requirements, 1 you must have a companion and 2 they must be standing next to you both scenarios are easy to meet most of them time however in that same effect it also makes the power weak as that means if you want to use boon and use your companion to attack that turn You must be in range to attack as well and that usually means your opponent can attack you the turn you use first mates boon.

However the problem occurs when you add 2 companions that seem to constantly abuse new powers and buffs Goronado and Nausica. Goro's Vicious charge + jump and Nausica's Centaur charge pretty much continue to define the way pvp is played it's because of these 2 companions musketeers are held back and Witches must go full defense build otherwise get blown to bits turn 2. These 2 companions pretty much force muskets to carry sprocket key on them in order to counter the Valors armor/Fort centaur charge or something similar from goro no other 2 companions are able to do this. I know they have dozens of counters hold the line, webs, overwatch3/true grit3 etc exist but with First mates Boon these 2 abuse it to a even greater degree.

I've had situations when goronado alone would be able to reach me turn 2 and after a vicious charge chain into relentless would leave me or 1 of my companions at red. I've had nausica super strike me turn 2 and kill me that turn before. I've adapted to it and I've managed to win regardless however now with first mates boon the damage is absolutely absurd. I'm more or less forced to use fort on myself have nausica or goro charge take out 1 of my companions that turn and then i'm forced to use purge because otherwise how can I kill a nausica or goro with fort on them themselves who also have First mates boon and then leave myself open to the counter attack and my enemy only losses 1 boon and 1 fort while I lose 1 companion, 1 fort half my health and my purge as well as still having to deal with a more or less fully health nausica or goro

Now my solution is simple since i'm against doing anything to companions I think the best solution is giving First mates Boon bonus power a range for example if i'm using boon my companion can't get 4 spaces away from me or else they'll lose that bonus. That still Makes Boon Very effective doesn't affect its power But it Hits the biggest issue which is kamikaze gorillas and horses and it gives the opponent a chance to strike back as that would put them in range to counter attack as well.

If anyone has a better suggestion or would think of anything more to add please comment
Counters to any kind of charge: ( regardless of who it is or how they're buffed )
Emmett/Emerson's "slow down"
A companion with Hold the Line, seriously, fort them and put them in front.
Walk in Shadows ( trained ) or Walk in Darkness ( gear ), this way, they don't one-shot you.
Barricade ( can be trained )

Admiral
Jun 02, 2013
How about instead of Boon lowering the privy weapon power (because they almost never use weapon in PvP) lower their spell damage, then they cannot bomb you into submission with big guns and scratch and they can't give a massive absorbs to their charging Goro or Nausica

Lieutenant
May 09, 2013
I cross posted already, but I think the power should decrease the privy's spell power instead of weapon power, since that is more detrimental to the player. That way, even though the initial Goro or Nausica charge may be effective, the follow up from the privateer will be weaker.

Lieutenant
Jun 08, 2009
anecorbie on Jun 30, 2016 wrote:
Counters to any kind of charge: ( regardless of who it is or how they're buffed )
Emmett/Emerson's "slow down"
A companion with Hold the Line, seriously, fort them and put them in front.
Walk in Shadows ( trained ) or Walk in Darkness ( gear ), this way, they don't one-shot you.
Barricade ( can be trained )
With first mates boon they still have the potential to or your companions easily other powers don't do as much damage via chains. Biggest Issue is when they chain even a fog nausica and goro turn 1 or 2 won't cripple you as badly cause hide just gives the intial attack x2 if Nausica chains 3-4 more attacks via burst fire and Double tap then the damage becomes too much to recover from

Bosun
Dec 21, 2009
witchdoctor daruis on Jul 1, 2016 wrote:
How about instead of Boon lowering the privy weapon power (because they almost never use weapon in PvP) lower their spell damage, then they cannot bomb you into submission with big guns and scratch and they can't give a massive absorbs to their charging Goro or Nausica
Please no!
That would not only nerf the power to uselessness, but also nerf any privy who uses it!
But a middle ground can be reached - if for one round it "silences" privies from using any spooky power, that would be acceptable, but not losing the spooky itself. Please!

Petty Officer
Nov 22, 2010
Noahdd, I am going to tell you a quick a Tory. In the book Artemis Fowl, one do try characters like to say Duh. I'm going to say it now. Duh! That's the point! If you are going to massively boost a companion's weapon power, then there should be some punishment on the character, otherwise, it's OP. Right now, I can FMB, hit you with a super powered Goro and drop 100% mojo boosted bombs. One of those things just doesn't belong here.

Bosun
Dec 21, 2009
HoodooNerd on Jul 2, 2016 wrote:
Noahdd, I am going to tell you a quick a Tory. In the book Artemis Fowl, one do try characters like to say Duh. I'm going to say it now. Duh! That's the point! If you are going to massively boost a companion's weapon power, then there should be some punishment on the character, otherwise, it's OP. Right now, I can FMB, hit you with a super powered Goro and drop 100% mojo boosted bombs. One of those things just doesn't belong here.
Tory? And I'm the guy from LA? Just kiddin.
But, as I suggested, there would be punishment. Weapon power down and unable to cast any spooky - no bombs, teleports, poisons, etc. - for one round, to give a breather? That would kick my butt all the doo dah day. It's like you didn't listen.

Petty Officer
Nov 22, 2010
noahdd on Jul 2, 2016 wrote:
Tory? And I'm the guy from LA? Just kiddin.
But, as I suggested, there would be punishment. Weapon power down and unable to cast any spooky - no bombs, teleports, poisons, etc. - for one round, to give a breather? That would kick my butt all the doo dah day. It's like you didn't listen.
What can I say? Typing these on a phone is BRUTAL. Anyway, I was about to come back with some witty filled argument, but then I realized you were right. I would suggest a 2 round silence instead, because it's almost like going "All In" with that companion, if that makes sense. Also, can we please limit these to 2 per privy? That would be grand.

Something funny,
Matthew Walker

Admiral
Jul 07, 2013
witchdoctor daruis on Jul 1, 2016 wrote:
Ok forbid privateers access to both these companions and reduce all their powers so they are just pretty effects on the screen and only let their other companions fight.

Virtuous Dante Ramsey

Admiral
Jul 07, 2013
bluba4 on Jul 1, 2016 wrote:
I cross posted already, but I think the power should decrease the privy's spell power instead of weapon power, since that is more detrimental to the player. That way, even though the initial Goro or Nausica charge may be effective, the follow up from the privateer will be weaker.
I think when a buccaneer releases an epic chain one turn the next round they should be completely paralyzed. That would be more detrimental to the player.

Virtuous Dante Ramsey

Admiral
Jul 07, 2013
Sunny Wolf on Jul 1, 2016 wrote:
With first mates boon they still have the potential to or your companions easily other powers don't do as much damage via chains. Biggest Issue is when they chain even a fog nausica and goro turn 1 or 2 won't cripple you as badly cause hide just gives the intial attack x2 if Nausica chains 3-4 more attacks via burst fire and Double tap then the damage becomes too much to recover from
hence the word 'boon'

Virtuous Dante Ramsey

Admiral
Jun 02, 2013
noahdd on Jul 2, 2016 wrote:
Please no!
That would not only nerf the power to uselessness, but also nerf any privy who uses it!
But a middle ground can be reached - if for one round it "silences" privies from using any spooky power, that would be acceptable, but not losing the spooky itself. Please!
Ok that sounds more fair but woukd have to be tested in PvP to see if it would actually help

Lieutenant
May 09, 2013
DuranteRamses87 on Jul 3, 2016 wrote:
I think when a buccaneer releases an epic chain one turn the next round they should be completely paralyzed. That would be more detrimental to the player.

Virtuous Dante Ramsey
Oh because cutting your spell power in half for three turns is just completely paralyzing. It's not like you can't still use battle zeal, valor's fortress, or assassin's strikes among other things... It just gets rid of 2,000 absorb armor and 1000 AoE without line of sight...

Sorry about your luck there... It's like you totally have no more options, not at all like a buccaneer who has to highland charge first turn before OP buffed nausica rips everyone to shreds or big guns gets everyone down to yellow.