Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Give Black Annie Rockham 5 range

AuthorMessage
Lieutenant
Sep 04, 2013
So the new companion Black Annie Rockham has been out for a bit and she already has a reputation as “kinda bad.” In a lot of ways she is much worse then Bonnie Anne. For starters she can’t train the quick draw 3 setup people have been using in pvp for a while now. She starts with overwatch which forces you to settle with the overwatch 3 double tap 2 burst fire 2 setup if you wanna any decent use out of her, she also has one less epic talent then Bonnie which is also kinda a big deal.

But the main reason I made this thread is because she has 4 range. Four range is terrible, slower melee enemies can just stand 5 spaces away from you, they’ll be in attack range, meanwhile you can’t shoot them because your range is 4 and they’re standing just outside of that. You essentially have no board control, unlike Bonnie Anne who has 5 range which prevents them from reaching you without already being in attack range if they’re not a fast companion. Four range also means you can’t hit enemy musketeers or witchdoctors who have four range without being in attack range, even to hit a 3 range witchdoctor like mormo or carcarius you have to be within the range of their aoe powers.

The only good 4 range musketeer companions, at least for Pvp, are typically based around True Grit 2/3. Because to hit a ranged enemy they have to move into their line of fire, so being able to counterattack or even stun them gives them a fighting chance. Since Black Annie Rockham doesn’t have access to True Grit, and her talent setup prevents quick draw 3 from being used effectively (which isn’t a suitable replacement for Grit on a 4 range musketeer anyway) she really doesn’t have anything good going for her.

Ultimately, I feel like this character was supposed to be a version of Bonnie Anne that has more offense oriented powers then defense oriented, but because she has 4 range, Bonnie Anne is still a much better offensive companion regardless since 5 range musketeers are able to punish people who camp in corners without being counter attacked. If she had 5 range maybe she could be a suitable replacement to Bonnie Anne in some situations, but right now she definitely isn’t.

Ensign
Oct 20, 2012
I agree for all the farming we did on that’s boss it would be great if it could get 5 range when we buy her.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Friendly Jesse Pew on Oct 12, 2019 wrote:
So the new companion Black Annie Rockham has been out for a bit and she already has a reputation as “kinda bad.” In a lot of ways she is much worse then Bonnie Anne. For starters she can’t train the quick draw 3 setup people have been using in pvp for a while now. She starts with overwatch which forces you to settle with the overwatch 3 double tap 2 burst fire 2 setup if you wanna any decent use out of her, she also has one less epic talent then Bonnie which is also kinda a big deal.

But the main reason I made this thread is because she has 4 range. Four range is terrible, slower melee enemies can just stand 5 spaces away from you, they’ll be in attack range, meanwhile you can’t shoot them because your range is 4 and they’re standing just outside of that. You essentially have no board control, unlike Bonnie Anne who has 5 range which prevents them from reaching you without already being in attack range if they’re not a fast companion. Four range also means you can’t hit enemy musketeers or witchdoctors who have four range without being in attack range, even to hit a 3 range witchdoctor like mormo or carcarius you have to be within the range of their aoe powers.

The only good 4 range musketeer companions, at least for Pvp, are typically based around True Grit 2/3. Because to hit a ranged enemy they have to move into their line of fire, so being able to counterattack or even stun them gives them a fighting chance. Since Black Annie Rockham doesn’t have access to True Grit, and her talent setup prevents quick draw 3 from being used effectively (which isn’t a suitable replacement for Grit on a 4 range musketeer anyway) she really doesn’t have anything good going for her.

Ultimately, I feel like this character was supposed to be a version of Bonnie Anne that has more offense oriented powers then defense oriented, but because she has 4 range, Bonnie Anne is still a much better offensive companion regardless since 5 range musketeers are able to punish people who camp in corners without being counter attacked. If she had 5 range maybe she could be a suitable replacement to Bonnie Anne in some situations, but right now she definitely isn’t.
Were you really expecting these companions to be as good or better than the Main Quest counter-parts?

Lieutenant
Sep 04, 2013
anecorbie on Oct 26, 2019 wrote:
Were you really expecting these companions to be as good or better than the Main Quest counter-parts?
Well when you put it that way, not really, but I’m not convinced they even meant to give Annie 4 range. I mean pretty much every companion release has been botched in some way since after the armada pack came out, so I can’t help but wonder if a clone of a 5 range companion having 4 range was even intentional. If Annie had 5 range, she still wouldn’t be straight up better then Bonnie, but she would at least be a viable to use. It’s just disappointing that my Bonnie clone can’t do what she was intended for, which I imagine is to decimate people from a safe distance with guaranteed critical hits.