Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Bug Reporting 101

AuthorMessage
Lieutenant
Jan 20, 2013
Hey everyone!

This is Kayly (Vanessa Mythdust), one of your friendly neighborhood QA Testers at KingsIsle. Being in QA, it’s my job to identify and reliably reproduce issues, more commonly known as bugs, that occur inside the game. These can be anything from minor cosmetic issues to major quest problems.

Player bug reports are a huge help because no matter how much we test, pesky bugs will almost always squeeze through the cracks. In addition to posting bugs here on the official message boards, you can also report them through our customer service portal or send an email to support@pirate101.com. Whichever method you choose, please take a quick glance through the forums to see if your bug has already been reported. We want to avoid duplicate bug reports as much as possible!
  • Be specific. The more details, the better! Saying “X item isn’t working” won’t help us identify what’s wrong. Where did it happen? What were you doing? Keep in mind that the QA department needs to reproduce the bugs that you report, so sometimes even the smallest details can help us do that.
  • A picture is worth a thousand words. If you’re able to attach a screenshot of the problem or link a video, that’s awesome! Knowing what to look for and how it appears on the player end is essential for us.
  • Map it out. If the issue is location-based, opening up your map and taking a screenshot of where you were when it happened could save us loads of time. Otherwise, we’d have to wander around until we found the exact spot you’re describing.
  • Remember, we want to squash these bugs too. In-game issues can be incredibly frustrating at times, but remember to keep your bug reports informational and polite. Aggressive bug reports won’t get the problem fixed any faster ... we’re on the same side!

Thanks to everyone who makes an effort to report bugs and improve the gameplay experience. We greatly appreciate it!

Once a super fan, now a KingsIsle QA Tester! I squash bugs.
~
_~ )_)_~
)_))_))_)
_!__!__!_
\______t/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Commodore
Feb 12, 2015
Thanks, Vanessa!

A while back, I had an issue entering the Haywire Dreadnaught, as I reported in THIS post. Apparently it was caused by the infamous "Cabin Glitch", which allows a person to respawn the final boss of a dungeon through means I will not mention here. As if that weren't enough, in the case of the Haywire Dreadnaught it makes the dungeon sigil disappear, preventing other people from entering the dungeon! This glitch also seems to have been around for several years. Fellow community member Anecorbie came up with a possible solution: prevent the problem by not allowing the means to access it be available in battle.

Again, thanks for putting this here!

Gunner's Mate
Sep 04, 2018
Lookit Light on Jun 30, 2019 wrote:
Thanks, Vanessa!

A while back, I had an issue entering the Haywire Dreadnaught, as I reported in THIS post. Apparently it was caused by the infamous "Cabin Glitch", which allows a person to respawn the final boss of a dungeon through means I will not mention here. As if that weren't enough, in the case of the Haywire Dreadnaught it makes the dungeon sigil disappear, preventing other people from entering the dungeon! This glitch also seems to have been around for several years. Fellow community member Anecorbie came up with a possible solution: prevent the problem by not allowing the means to access it be available in battle.

Again, thanks for putting this here!
Fixing the cabin glitch would upset a whole lot of players. Making the sigil always appear on the dreadnaught would however be a good thing. Anyone who is on the dreadnaught ought to have a sigil for it. The problem with that is that some people could camp out on the dock of the dreadnaught or set a port onto it and always have their friends port to them so that they never have to wait to sink the dreadnaught ever again. That really isn't a problem as long as it doesn't prevent the dreadnaught from appearing so that others can sink it and get into it and the sigil is always there. If people want to farm something and be able to get into where they want to farm, I say let them it really isn't hurting anyone else.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Takhethis on Jul 31, 2019 wrote:
Fixing the cabin glitch would upset a whole lot of players. Making the sigil always appear on the dreadnaught would however be a good thing. Anyone who is on the dreadnaught ought to have a sigil for it. The problem with that is that some people could camp out on the dock of the dreadnaught or set a port onto it and always have their friends port to them so that they never have to wait to sink the dreadnaught ever again. That really isn't a problem as long as it doesn't prevent the dreadnaught from appearing so that others can sink it and get into it and the sigil is always there. If people want to farm something and be able to get into where they want to farm, I say let them it really isn't hurting anyone else.
The situations you describe are hurting the way players play this game. Those using the cabin glitch or camping out on the Dreadnought are denying the use of this dungeon to others. It's become their own personal property and the community as a whole are sick of it!
I think it would be better if this dungeon became a dungeon like the Tower of Moo Manchu, allow anyone to enter at anytime.
Then those who want to abuse the cabin glitch can do it and the rest of us will have a chance to farm!

Captain
Feb 11, 2010
The Machine has a TON. For example,

the opening cutscene w Gazpaccio talking to Kane barely syncs with the dialogue and animation when with a team of two or more.

Plus, a more general one, most new pets or some existing don't move and then attack w their animations. This occurs with mostly new ones w new mobs. Especially in the Machine but it's also with a lot of creatures.

I posted this to Ratbeard's thread but the Krampus Lobby is very glitchy when entering and leaving. once you intereact with the door the zone glitches and you're in a black area. Not like the MORPHING TENT GLITCH THAT'S STILL NOT FIXED, but it's a clear bug.

One that's been and very annoying - Whenever a companion, most any companion, delivers the finishing strike in a battle (and from what I remember it's ANY model), instead of doing their victory animation they just do that animation again.

Other than that, unless i add more, i would refer to this link with a lot more bugs linking to threads etc: http://www.pirate101central.com/forums/showthread.php?62611&p=313311#post313311

Captain
Feb 11, 2010
The Black Storm Scout is STILL not an available companion to purchase in the crown shop.

Bosun
Aug 10, 2011
I know that there is a glitch at blood shoals were one of the rats sometimes doesn't give you the quest, meaning you have to start over.

Petty Officer
Jan 26, 2019
Hmm, I wonder if this post is still active... Well, I’m just going to say what I want to. I tend to notice tiny little details that can really get on my nerve, so some of them may seem kind of useless. But I may come back and edit this post once I start to remember other bugs I’ve noticed, but here are the ones I can pull off the top of my head ATM—

1. While doing side quests in Florenza, I found a huge amount of bugs. For example, in the instance quest for Due Unto Others (called Late Charges), when I talk to Ludovico Muratori, he summons his guards. After the fight, the game still thinks that I haven’t talked to him. After I talk to him again, I have to fight those confounded guards AGAIN! I found something similar to this in the Bob’s Your Uncle quest with Scurvy Pete. (Note: I’ve solo everything) Aragon in 60 Second’s quest arrow is completely messed up, I really can’t explain, it’s too wonky. Gotta Book has a lot of voice over errors, and I mean a lot! Would be nice to have those fixed. And once I finish more Valencia side quests, I will add on to this.
2. On the Party Barge, when you turn in a certain direction, the background becomes bugged, where parts of it become black (it actually seems to resemble another background image of foliage and vegetation). Also, when taking to the Marleybone ambassador, sometimes the music dims all the way down, and once she’s done speaking, the music will come back on.

3. One of the most nagging for me is the haywire strikes! When an enemy or pirate uses it, it’s an absolute mess of numbers popping up and overlapping each other. The health bar will go down, then suddenly pop back up from it’s starting health, and go back down again. This is REALLY annoying. I haven’t seen this in a haywire shot or a shield smash.

I will probably come back and add more to this. I’ll also see if I can get pictures for you guys at KI.

Petty Officer
Jan 26, 2019
TheyMayBeBears on Oct 15, 2019 wrote:
Hmm, I wonder if this post is still active... Well, I’m just going to say what I want to. I tend to notice tiny little details that can really get on my nerve, so some of them may seem kind of useless. But I may come back and edit this post once I start to remember other bugs I’ve noticed, but here are the ones I can pull off the top of my head ATM—

1. While doing side quests in Florenza, I found a huge amount of bugs. For example, in the instance quest for Due Unto Others (called Late Charges), when I talk to Ludovico Muratori, he summons his guards. After the fight, the game still thinks that I haven’t talked to him. After I talk to him again, I have to fight those confounded guards AGAIN! I found something similar to this in the Bob’s Your Uncle quest with Scurvy Pete. (Note: I’ve solo everything) Aragon in 60 Second’s quest arrow is completely messed up, I really can’t explain, it’s too wonky. Gotta Book has a lot of voice over errors, and I mean a lot! Would be nice to have those fixed. And once I finish more Valencia side quests, I will add on to this.
2. On the Party Barge, when you turn in a certain direction, the background becomes bugged, where parts of it become black (it actually seems to resemble another background image of foliage and vegetation). Also, when taking to the Marleybone ambassador, sometimes the music dims all the way down, and once she’s done speaking, the music will come back on.

3. One of the most nagging for me is the haywire strikes! When an enemy or pirate uses it, it’s an absolute mess of numbers popping up and overlapping each other. The health bar will go down, then suddenly pop back up from it’s starting health, and go back down again. This is REALLY annoying. I haven’t seen this in a haywire shot or a shield smash.

I will probably come back and add more to this. I’ll also see if I can get pictures for you guys at KI.
More bugs I caught!

1. I know of two promotion quests that will do this: the Magnificent 7's first promotion and Old Scratch's 2nd promotion. In the final battles in both of these quests, it's an epic battle. If you choose any companions other than the one you're promoting, you'll end up with 4 companions (plus you) in the battle. For example, when promoting my Buffalo Bill, the final battle with Typhon was an epic. I decided to pick Fan, Bonnie, and Toro for the fight. When the fight commenced, not only did I have the three I picked, but Bill appeared as well. I have a picture, but I don't know how to upload it yet.
2. In the nightmare Old Scratch battle, everyone's names above their head were white. This doesn't show who's first or second in the battle scheme. I also have a picture of this.
3. (This one makes me sad) When you promote a companion for the first time, it doesn't give you a choice of two epic talents anymore. When I did Bonnie's first promotion, I didn't have choice of two epics, I just got one! The same with a ton of other companions, like my new Nausica, Buffalo Bill (who I just promoted today), and even Ratbeard!

More coming later.

Administrator
Ensign
Apr 08, 2017
There is a glitch that only happens when I go to the Tower of Moo Manchu and whenever someone on my team is attacking the enemies, the screen will stay the same for a long period of time and there are people on my team that are fighting people, but I can't see them. When I go to plan out the attack, I barely have any time because of what has happened and I cannot fully plan out the attack.

Commodore
Feb 12, 2015
A while back, I created a post about being unable to enter the Haywire Dreadnaught because of the infamous "Cabin Glitch." In that post you responded saying that Cabin Glitch is indeed wrong and a bannable offense. However, I have seen no public statement or such thing to make the community aware of the fact, or any instances of players being reported or banned for doing it. I am requesting that sometime in the near future you put a statement somewhere noticeable, such as on your Twitter page, notifying players of the Cabin Glitch being an offense. Thank you in advance!

Ensign
Jan 26, 2014
I am a level 56 Swashbuckler, and I decided to do Bonnie Anne's promotion quest for fox sniper. At the part where I have to talk to catbeard at the catspaw, because he is in Marleybone, he is not there. If I talk to him in Marleybone will that work, or am I unable to do this quest? Please help

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Vazzolock on Feb 29, 2020 wrote:
I am a level 56 Swashbuckler, and I decided to do Bonnie Anne's promotion quest for fox sniper. At the part where I have to talk to catbeard at the catspaw, because he is in Marleybone, he is not there. If I talk to him in Marleybone will that work, or am I unable to do this quest? Please help
Simply finish the main quest line in Marleybone; get Catbeard out of Glass House prison. Then return to Catbeard's Lair to complete the quest.
This is why you should never delay leveling or promoting main companions.

Good Luck!

Ensign
Aug 17, 2013
I don't know if this is still active, however I was in combat and it showed somebody tried to join me, but can't access the area yet. It's done this many times, but this time it showed me someone who wasn't on my friend or group list....

Is this a bug? Or something else? (I took a screenshot just in case I would need it)

Ensign
Dec 23, 2012
Ahoy there,

I have been unable to sell my Pirate Origin Skiff (the one you get in Jonah Town that's your parents' boat). I have tried to sell it to all of the ship vendors throughout Floatsam, Skull Island, and Tradewinds, but it keeps telling me the ship is not empty. It is empty, I removed every item from the cabin and removed all of the gear. My ship is now what us in the modern world call "stock, with no after-market parts." I have only had this issue with my Witchdoctor, all of my other pirates were able to sell the Skiff with no problems. I have tried logging in and out, switching pirates, etc. I've had this problem for the last month. It never bothered me until now, because I would like to use the money from selling the Skiff to buy a Galleon. I currently own the Pirate Origin Skiff and Frigate. I have not tried to sell the Frigate, because I don't want to sell it until I know I can secure a Pirate Origin Galleon. So I don't know if this is a glitch with this pirate or if it's just the Skiff in particular. I no longer have my Raft, I sold that long ago.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
magicbear1998 on Jun 11, 2020 wrote:
Ahoy there,

I have been unable to sell my Pirate Origin Skiff (the one you get in Jonah Town that's your parents' boat). I have tried to sell it to all of the ship vendors throughout Floatsam, Skull Island, and Tradewinds, but it keeps telling me the ship is not empty. It is empty, I removed every item from the cabin and removed all of the gear. My ship is now what us in the modern world call "stock, with no after-market parts." I have only had this issue with my Witchdoctor, all of my other pirates were able to sell the Skiff with no problems. I have tried logging in and out, switching pirates, etc. I've had this problem for the last month. It never bothered me until now, because I would like to use the money from selling the Skiff to buy a Galleon. I currently own the Pirate Origin Skiff and Frigate. I have not tried to sell the Frigate, because I don't want to sell it until I know I can secure a Pirate Origin Galleon. So I don't know if this is a glitch with this pirate or if it's just the Skiff in particular. I no longer have my Raft, I sold that long ago.
First I would make sure that everything has been removed, be methodical. Then try equipping one item, then remove that item, and try selling. If this doesn't work, then contact Support.

Ensign
Aug 13, 2017
well i only have a few items in my bag which is the gear i have equipped, and it says my bag is full. i dont know what to do pls help

Ensign
Nov 13, 2018
Bring me back my bow glitch
I have experienced a bug in Aquila for the quest call "Bring me back my bow". i have completed all the objectives and now have to turn the quest in to Ulyesses, but i am unable to do so. The quest arrow points to him and the objective is to him to him but the question mark above his head remains grey and i unable to talk to him. Please fix this as soon as possible. Thank You!

in case you need my pirate information
My pirate character name is Kai
I'm level 64 Buccaneer

Ensign
Aug 06, 2013
"Mustang Rowdy" companion, weapon cosmetic glitch

After doing the quest "Bust them out" on my privateer I acquired the mustang rowdy companion, while looking at him and using him in battle I noticed a cosmetic glitch that appears on his knives, there is a piece of texture floating above both his knives, not visible from the front of his model but visible on the back, I have screenshots of this but I don't see a way to attach the image here, I did email support about this and was directed back here, hope to hear from you soon

Commodore
Feb 12, 2015
MooshuApprentice on Aug 2, 2022 wrote:
"Mustang Rowdy" companion, weapon cosmetic glitch

After doing the quest "Bust them out" on my privateer I acquired the mustang rowdy companion, while looking at him and using him in battle I noticed a cosmetic glitch that appears on his knives, there is a piece of texture floating above both his knives, not visible from the front of his model but visible on the back, I have screenshots of this but I don't see a way to attach the image here, I did email support about this and was directed back here, hope to hear from you soon
I'm aware that it's possible to post links to images from Imgur here. Is it possible for you to put your images there and do that?

Ensign
Sep 13, 2012
hey I have a level 62 swashbuckler named Dashing Taylor kipton but this happens on all my chars a about three days ago I noticed it doesn't keep my realm when I log back in like I use to and Avery's realm is really laggy and I prefer Bonnie Anne realm is there a way to fox this? I'm grateful for any help ty and take care! :) and if you need my username its pet12345304

Lieutenant
Mar 18, 2022
mom1461 on Oct 30, 2022 wrote:
hey I have a level 62 swashbuckler named Dashing Taylor kipton but this happens on all my chars a about three days ago I noticed it doesn't keep my realm when I log back in like I use to and Avery's realm is really laggy and I prefer Bonnie Anne realm is there a way to fox this? I'm grateful for any help ty and take care! :) and if you need my username its pet12345304
Due to a recent change users default to the Avery server. Could you share what time of day you're playing and what areas of the game are laggy for you?

Ensign
Sep 13, 2012
NobleOtter on Oct 31, 2022 wrote:
Due to a recent change users default to the Avery server. Could you share what time of day you're playing and what areas of the game are laggy for you?
I start around 10 in the morning and every part lags in Avery realm I also prefer less populated realms cause I'm been bullied a lot in Avery's

Ensign
Jun 14, 2012
Tiny detail that has always bothered me is that the housing item "Clockwork Treasure Chest" model does not match with the displayed icon. The display icon shows a Armada treasure chest similar to the ones you can find in dreadnaughts and certain areas occupied by them, but the actual model is a debris covered chest that looks nothing like it.