Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Difficulty

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Apr 28, 2019
Greetings,

I need to know, but is it common for enemies to do critical hits that deal insane damage past Aquila? I was doing "Bob is Your Uncle", and the part where you have to fight those sharks to collect something was pure frustration. It seems so common for them to deal insane critical damage so often against a wide variety of companions (Ratbeard, El Toro, Garcia, Neko, Lucky Jack, Bonnie Anne; to give you an idea), which is frustrating because now I have too many companions wounded and I don't feel like spending top money to revive them only to have them die again. Not to mention I haven't been getting anything during this collect quest for the past 3 matches, which is even more frustrating.

Please don't tell me the cliched "try a different strategy" without actually giving me a different strategy. I've tried heavy defense, but it seems to little unless I stack one person. I tried stacking up a hold-the-line-and-repel-boarders-3 Ratbeard, but I can't risk having my other companions going up to them because of their repel boarders. I tried overwatch 3, but of course the lower accuracy wouldn't matter when the critical hits are too often. I tried the Ratbeard tank plus musketeers, but I found having to move my companions all the time to avoid the sharks targeting my Musketeers too slow, eventually taking away my forts and, well, I'm sure you can imagine. I went full out defensive and careful, didn't work out. I went full out with my dodging squad, but they get devastated with the critical hits with their low health. can go on for about 3 more different strategies. At the end, the results are always the same: Only my pirate survive.

I'm a level 70 privateer with companions that average level 67 as a whole. My equipment are purely from Bazaar (haven't farmed for better equipment yet, it seems no one is around whenever I feel like farming) with the exception of the rare, occasional gears plus the eye patch. I tend to focus on dodge, armor, will, and heath for my pirate. As for my companions, I tend to focus on health, damage, dodge, and will.

Is late game supposed to be like this? Just insane critical hits coming as often as collect quests, or is my luck purely awful in this game? Is my companions level supposed to be max when fighting them? Am I rolling the wrong talents? Am I missing something here that would greatly benefit me? Any advice will be wonderful.

Sincerely,
A Formal Player.

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
Yes, the late game enemies are much more on our own pirate's level, and have very similar builds to our own max-level companions.

As a privateer, you have a HUGE crew (if you did side quests and got all of those companions, like the Cat Ninja and Zeena) so the fact that many of them are on bed rest just means you can throw whoever's left into a team and give it another try. The promotion quest you are on forces that one wounded companion back into the battles, so keeping him healed is your only priority. Luck also plays a part, as you've seen.

Are you using Emmett's powers? You didn't mention Emmett, so I assume not. Doubloons are also a MUST for anyone on this quest -- pushback, debuff or limiting movement of enemies can make a big difference, not to mention healing doubloons. What sort of pet do you have? Have you invested any time or gold into morphing a good, helpful pet?

"Try a different strategy" may be a cliche, but it IS true. Epic talents on companions can be a mixed blessing -- we love it when they chain for us, but chaining against us just leads to more wounding and bed rest. Differently-abled companions sometimes survive because they DON'T fight back as often and may dodge that Blade Storm.

Your companions on Bed Rest can be earning themselves experience if you switch them to the Brawling order instead, and free training tomes are available from Keel Hauling if they are the same as your pirate's level. Having your companions not at peak performance is only making things harder here. If you have another character that you can work on and give your crew even just one day to heal, and retrieve you some gold, gear, tomes, etc., you will be in a better position when you go back and try again.

Sometimes it's frustrating to take the time to do the "maintenance" work on a character rather than just pushing on through, but it pays off. Having more than one pirate on your account lends to having more chances to score the big rewards on gold and gear, not to mention pet snacks and eggs. Playing on a different character also could give you some ideas for changing things for this Privateer.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
CherryOnTop1 on Jun 27, 2019 wrote:
Greetings,

I need to know, but is it common for enemies to do critical hits that deal insane damage past Aquila? I was doing "Bob is Your Uncle", and the part where you have to fight those sharks to collect something was pure frustration. It seems so common for them to deal insane critical damage so often against a wide variety of companions (Ratbeard, El Toro, Garcia, Neko, Lucky Jack, Bonnie Anne; to give you an idea), which is frustrating because now I have too many companions wounded and I don't feel like spending top money to revive them only to have them die again. Not to mention I haven't been getting anything during this collect quest for the past 3 matches, which is even more frustrating.

Please don't tell me the cliched "try a different strategy" without actually giving me a different strategy. I've tried heavy defense, but it seems to little unless I stack one person. I tried stacking up a hold-the-line-and-repel-boarders-3 Ratbeard, but I can't risk having my other companions going up to them because of their repel boarders. I tried overwatch 3, but of course the lower accuracy wouldn't matter when the critical hits are too often. I tried the Ratbeard tank plus musketeers, but I found having to move my companions all the time to avoid the sharks targeting my Musketeers too slow, eventually taking away my forts and, well, I'm sure you can imagine. I went full out defensive and careful, didn't work out. I went full out with my dodging squad, but they get devastated with the critical hits with their low health. can go on for about 3 more different strategies. At the end, the results are always the same: Only my pirate survive.

I'm a level 70 privateer with companions that average level 67 as a whole. My equipment are purely from Bazaar (haven't farmed for better equipment yet, it seems no one is around whenever I feel like farming) with the exception of the rare, occasional gears plus the eye patch. I tend to focus on dodge, armor, will, and heath for my pirate. As for my companions, I tend to focus on health, damage, dodge, and will.

Is late game supposed to be like this? Just insane critical hits coming as often as collect quests, or is my luck purely awful in this game? Is my companions level supposed to be max when fighting them? Am I rolling the wrong talents? Am I missing something here that would greatly benefit me? Any advice will be wonderful.

Sincerely,
A Formal Player.
CherryOnTop1, you are doing everything possible for that fight. The Cutthroat sharks in that instance do critical a lot.
The problem is that your companion's levels are too low. I would wait until your best teams are at least level 69 before attempting this quest.
When next you try this fight, don't go for the nearest ones, go around past the waterfall, then down; there is a group of sharks there by some aztecosaur ruins, this will give you a larger battleboard with time to make a defense.
Stick yourself in one corner, use Countessa's Gallant defense, use Old Scratch to boost your gunnery/big guns, ect. and plant your Presideo companion next to Countessa Argento.
Other things to try:
Use Doubloons, summons, critical boost, "push back" anything will give you an edge. If you have no doubloons, do a Moo Tower run a few times.

Good Luck!
P.S. Don't bother reviving your Presideo companion, when you turn in the quest, all wounds vanish!

Community Leader
To answer your questions:
  • Yes, max out your companions. You can easily and efficiently get gold from the Crab Tunnels in Valencia. The crabs should be easy to kill, just use a couple of swashbuckler units, use Battle Zeal, and let them go ham with riposte chains
  • These "insane damage" hits are critical assassins strikes. The best way to combat them as privy imo, would be to use a tanky unit like Ratbeard or Gracie and put a valor's fortress on them, in addition to his triton's song, if applicable. This should make the assassins do around 600-700 damage, which can just be face-tanked or healed off with a revive. Each enemy normally only has one of these.
  • Battle Zeal is your best friend against these high stat enemies, it will mitigate most of the non-critical chain attacks. You can combine it with swashbuckler units to great effect.
  • Gracie and Old Scratch are a very effective combo. Both of Gracie's powers are buffed by Scratch's mojo buffs. The golem can function as fodder for assassins, as well as contribute ok damage (since he will be level 100+). The mine does massive damage. Scratch can also do heavy damage with his AOE and buff your own Big Guns.

Writer, Editor, Administrator, and Pirate PvP guy at FinalBastion

Check us out for all things Pirate101 and Wizard101 PvE/PvP