Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Privateer PvE companions

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Oct 31, 2018
Greetings,

I am running a 30 Privateer and am looking for PvE Team suggestions, built around Scratch. I have seen the best of lists and it does not feel as though the top 4 would be a good team.

Also, will based weapons seem to be marginally good until endgame, how does a Privateer work around that obstacle?

Thanks in advance, Y'all hunt well.

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
Soul7mirror on May 6, 2019 wrote:
Greetings,

I am running a 30 Privateer and am looking for PvE Team suggestions, built around Scratch. I have seen the best of lists and it does not feel as though the top 4 would be a good team.

Also, will based weapons seem to be marginally good until endgame, how does a Privateer work around that obstacle?

Privateers can use any team they want to -- you have so many buffs available to you, why limit yourself to just a few companions.

I have more fun when the crew is random and I get to strategize on the fly, rather than watch the same attacks over and over again. That's my suggestion, randomize.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Soul7mirror on May 6, 2019 wrote:
Greetings,

In the first year of the game, Privateers boosted from Strength. If you don't wish to use Will boosted weapons ( but why would you not want to, if you're using Scratch? ) you might want to look at sword & shield weapons.
Remember, a Privateer is meant as a support style class - running up and smacking the enemy isn't what they're designed for. Your crew are your weapons; buff them, shield them and heal them and you'll win through most encounters.
My Privys don't use Scratch ( & boy! Have I heard comments about it! ) as I have plenty of Will boosting buffs myself as well as from the Marchioness.

Ensign
Oct 31, 2018
anecorbie on May 10, 2019 wrote:
In the first year of the game, Privateers boosted from Strength. If you don't wish to use Will boosted weapons ( but why would you not want to, if you're using Scratch? ) you might want to look at sword & shield weapons.
Remember, a Privateer is meant as a support style class - running up and smacking the enemy isn't what they're designed for. Your crew are your weapons; buff them, shield them and heal them and you'll win through most encounters.
My Privys don't use Scratch ( & boy! Have I heard comments about it! ) as I have plenty of Will boosting buffs myself as well as from the Marchioness.
Thank you for the thoughtful response,

So, what companions do you team up with? I would love to experiment with a Scratchless party, and other types of weapons setups.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Soul7mirror on May 15, 2019 wrote:
Thank you for the thoughtful response,

So, what companions do you team up with? I would love to experiment with a Scratchless party, and other types of weapons setups.
I have my companion order set to "First Mate" so my first mate ( usually El Toro or Marchioness ) always shows, the rest is random draw.
Don't discount having El Toro, the benefit of 2 esprits or other buff is of great value.

Captain
Dec 06, 2012
I have a list of good privateer companions that don't benefit from Scratch's buff but are still good if you'd like that.

Ensign
Oct 31, 2018
darkmoordude on May 15, 2019 wrote:
I have a list of good privateer companions that don't benefit from Scratch's buff but are still good if you'd like that.
I would appreciate that, thank you.

Lieutenant
Jan 27, 2015
anecorbie on May 10, 2019 wrote:
OK wait...in the first year of the game, privateers boosted from strength...

They don't boost from strength anymore?

I always thought will boosted a privateer's heals, and strength boosted a privateer's hits...am i wrong yet again

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
In Search of Yum on May 18, 2019 wrote:
OK wait...in the first year of the game, privateers boosted from strength...

They don't boost from strength anymore?

I always thought will boosted a privateer's heals, and strength boosted a privateer's hits...am i wrong yet again
If the weapon that the privateer uses gets the bonus from strength, then you're right his/hers damage is boosted by strength. BUT if she/he uses a will bonus weapon the hers/his damage is boosted by will.

Captain
Dec 06, 2012
Actually, thinking about it, I don't need to. Because I'll say this: After looking at the list, pretty much all of them are good. I'd suggest using all companions that you recruit. Except one, Jim Masterson, he's bad IMO. And I personally despise the Marchioness but if you find her useful then that's good.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
darkmoordude on May 21, 2019 wrote:
Actually, thinking about it, I don't need to. Because I'll say this: After looking at the list, pretty much all of them are good. I'd suggest using all companions that you recruit. Except one, Jim Masterson, he's bad IMO. And I personally despise the Marchioness but if you find her useful then that's good.
The March rocks! She's #2 or sometimes first mate for my Privys. She does MASSIVE damage and completely tears up the opposition!
Agree about Jim Masterson, though, he's not even comparable to Bat Masterson!

Captain
Dec 06, 2012
anecorbie on May 22, 2019 wrote:
The March rocks! She's #2 or sometimes first mate for my Privys. She does MASSIVE damage and completely tears up the opposition!
Agree about Jim Masterson, though, he's not even comparable to Bat Masterson!
Jim should be removed and replaced with Captain Foote as the privateer companion IMO. He may be a villain, but privateers seem to have a thing for redeeming villains before recruiting them

Admiral
Nov 01, 2013
Darkmoordude: "And I personally despise the Marchioness but if you find her useful then that's good."

Anecorbie: "The March rocks! She's #2 or sometimes first mate for my Privys. She does MASSIVE damage and completely tears up the opposition!"

To Darkmoordude and Anecorbie: Hmm. I'll have to admit that I don't really like the Marchioness as much, for some reason, but I think she does pretty well in general.

Also, this is off-topic (sorry!), but does anyone else really hate Barnabus for the Buccaneers? He really doesn't seem to do much damage. Maybe it's just me though.

Commodore
Feb 12, 2015
Helpful Aurora Par... on May 24, 2019 wrote:
Darkmoordude: "And I personally despise the Marchioness but if you find her useful then that's good."

Anecorbie: "The March rocks! She's #2 or sometimes first mate for my Privys. She does MASSIVE damage and completely tears up the opposition!"

To Darkmoordude and Anecorbie: Hmm. I'll have to admit that I don't really like the Marchioness as much, for some reason, but I think she does pretty well in general.

Also, this is off-topic (sorry!), but does anyone else really hate Barnabus for the Buccaneers? He really doesn't seem to do much damage. Maybe it's just me though.
Well, I never use Louis le Bisque. But we're getting off topic.

I have, indeed, seen devastating blows done by The Marchioness. For other options, I have seen a lot of Privys use Emmet (use that movement reduction!). My mind's at a block right now. Soul7Mirror, what is your current setup, what are you looking for in a battle, and what Crowns/Pack Companions do you have (if any)?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012

I find Barnabus very adorable, he can do more than enough damaged, properly trained and buffed & I like that he has his own shield ( be fair, Quint doesn't have one! ).

Captain
Dec 06, 2012

He gets better as he promotes, don't worry. I didn't like him at first either.