Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

When Should I Buy An Aquilan Ship?

AuthorMessage
Ensign
May 30, 2011
I am currently questing in Aquila with a nautical level of 50 and a Marleybone Galleon. I was wondering if I should buy an Aquila ship now or stick with my Marleybone Galleon until I level up more. Which one is more beneficial?

-SandySoniaCog, lvl 70

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
SandySoniaCog on Jan 2, 2019 wrote:
I am currently questing in Aquila with a nautical level of 50 and a Marleybone Galleon. I was wondering if I should buy an Aquila ship now or stick with my Marleybone Galleon until I level up more. Which one is more beneficial?

-SandySoniaCog, lvl 70
You're almost 15 nautical levels below your enemies at this point, so sinking ships must be very hard for you to do solo. I'm going to assume that you tend to get boarded and fight on deck rather than sinking ships outright, which is much quicker. Having such a low nautical is not helping you.

Yes, you should buy a new ship, and good equipment for it. You're going to have to get past the Scylla in a ship, so having the best ship and equipment you can when you get there will be a big help. You can't fight Scylla heads on your deck.

Gunner's Mate
May 08, 2010
nah, I have a marlybone galleon on my musk and nat level is 40, and I can easily still sink ships at lvl 62, nat level doesn't matter much in this game, especially since it's aquila, you can set all but 3 comps to sailing and quest, while getting 3-4 nat levels a day. I'd buy an aquilian ship when you go to face Scylla, imo.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Willowydream on Jan 3, 2019 wrote:
You're almost 15 nautical levels below your enemies at this point, so sinking ships must be very hard for you to do solo. I'm going to assume that you tend to get boarded and fight on deck rather than sinking ships outright, which is much quicker. Having such a low nautical is not helping you.

Yes, you should buy a new ship, and good equipment for it. You're going to have to get past the Scylla in a ship, so having the best ship and equipment you can when you get there will be a big help. You can't fight Scylla heads on your deck.

Hmm, the first time I went through Aquila, I was in a Marleybone Galleon, but my nautical level wasn't that low. I farmed ships ( this was pre advanced companions ). I even fought Scylla from a Marleybone Galleon.
Save up your gold and get a Spiral ship, these are available in Scrimshaw, Subata and Marleybone. They will be level 65 and can be equipped later with ship gear in Valencia2. This way you're not buy two ships within a few levels of each.
Put some of your crew on "Sailin'" and "Scavengin'". At the level they are now, you'll be collecting once a day.
Sailin' gives nautical experience, Scanvengin' gives gear you can sell to a free trader. Just be sure to check the gear before you sell, sometimes they bring back powered gear.

Admiral
Nov 01, 2013
anecorbie on Jan 3, 2019 wrote:
Hmm, the first time I went through Aquila, I was in a Marleybone Galleon, but my nautical level wasn't that low. I farmed ships ( this was pre advanced companions ). I even fought Scylla from a Marleybone Galleon.
Save up your gold and get a Spiral ship, these are available in Scrimshaw, Subata and Marleybone. They will be level 65 and can be equipped later with ship gear in Valencia2. This way you're not buy two ships within a few levels of each.
Put some of your crew on "Sailin'" and "Scavengin'". At the level they are now, you'll be collecting once a day.
Sailin' gives nautical experience, Scanvengin' gives gear you can sell to a free trader. Just be sure to check the gear before you sell, sometimes they bring back powered gear.
Alright, I have to ask... What's the difference between, say, a Spiral Aquilan Ship and a regular Aquilan Ship? Thanks, heh... I know it's not the same question Sonia had, but I'm just curious, heh.

Gunner's Mate
May 08, 2010
witchdoctor of awe... on Jan 3, 2019 wrote:
nah, I have a marlybone galleon on my musk and nat level is 40, and I can easily still sink ships at lvl 62, nat level doesn't matter much in this game, especially since it's aquila, you can set all but 3 comps to sailing and quest, while getting 3-4 nat levels a day. I'd buy an aquilian ship when you go to face Scylla, imo.
update: don't waste gold on a normal aquilian ship, just did scylla on my musket that's nat 44 with marlybone galleon (not spiral) and only had to use 2 potions fighting it.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Helpful Aurora Par... on Jan 4, 2019 wrote:
Alright, I have to ask... What's the difference between, say, a Spiral Aquilan Ship and a regular Aquilan Ship? Thanks, heh... I know it's not the same question Sonia had, but I'm just curious, heh.

The difference is 5 levels... and the equipment you can use when you reach nautical 65. I'm just saying that it's better to wait to buy a ship that won't become obsolete in 5 levels.

Lieutenant
Nov 14, 2015
anecorbie on Jan 3, 2019 wrote:
Yeah, that's what I did. I just traded my old Marlybone ship for a spiral version (I love the way those ships look -- very privateer imo).

Scylla wasn't very difficult for me. I would just fly in and out of the head's range, and I didn't have to many issues. I made the mistake of not refilling my potions before hand though, so don't make my mistake!

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
Maybe it's the way I play, but getting gold to buy new ships and equipment is not difficult. Doing the party barge quests every day gives 40,000 gold, and the chance of a nice item to use or sell.

Being well-equipped to sink the enemy isn't really a "waste."

[ship icon]

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Willowydream on Jan 6, 2019 wrote:
Maybe it's the way I play, but getting gold to buy new ships and equipment is not difficult. Doing the party barge quests every day gives 40,000 gold, and the chance of a nice item to use or sell.

Being well-equipped to sink the enemy isn't really a "waste."

[ship icon]
That is what is so wonderful about this game; there is no totally "wrong" way to play it. It's very forgiving of "mistakes" ( or what other players consider mistakes ) and this allows any pirate to be successful!
Yar
(ship icon needed! )