Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Fly by Night thoughts from a Bird Brain

AuthorMessage
Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Have you noticed the giant bird mounts we have here in P101? Where in the Spiral do you think they come from?
Let's discuss the ramifications of giant birds capable of flying with a pirate on their back.
Do you think that they are a single ( freak ) mutation, genuine species ( evolved ) or will you blame magic ( it's a wizard's fault )?
Best thing about discussing this is that anyone's guess is as good as another's.

I believe that they're a genuine species that evolved in a far-off part of the Spiral. In a world where giant species abound.

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
I blame the wizards and their Castle Magic -- these birds were all once pets that were living at a Wizard's Watchtower, and subject to the Enlarging Spell too often for safety's sake. When they had been super-enlarged over and over again, they eventually gained the ability to fly away from that Wizard's castle to Skull Island, where they began to breed among themselves, but then Waponi Water Mole Houngans subjugated them into mounts with even more magic.

Pirates stole them from the water moles, naturally.

Admiral
Oct 27, 2009
I think magic was involved. Willowydream had a great idea with it being castle magic gone awry. I would guess there is more than one source of origin. Some may have come from a deliberate wizard action to produce a mount. It is also possible that some birds raised their chicks on a mana spawning location, and the birds were changed by all the magicy-wagikey exposure. On the Pirate worlds, a diet heavy on blue yum might have also done it. If we ever find a place they occur naturally, I think it will be named Guano Island, and powers will go to war over the magically infused... substance. We have enough problems, so if you find the island, maybe you should keep it a secret.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
I'm not saying that any of the opinions posted are wrong, in fact, they explain giant species very well. I just want to produce evidence for my speculation for evolved giant species:
First: Jonah Town and Scrimshaw: Yes, whales are huge, on earth the largest mammal is the Blue Whale, but never has there been a whale large enough to support an entire town on it's back or in it's belly or ( in the case of Scrimshaw ) enfold an entire town in it's bones.
Second Isla de los Muertos, the Gorge of Bones: here we see the remains of a gigantic bison, as large as a ship.
Third: The Cutthroat Bundle House: the entrance to the upper part of the house is through the mouth of a skull of a meat eating dinosaur ( perhaps Tyranosaurus Rex Giganticus? )
With evidence of living and dead creatures of gigantic size, one of them prehistoric, ( maybe pre-wizard? ) I present my further belief in a world producing these giant mounts.
( let the debate continue ).

Admiral
Oct 27, 2009
anecorbie on Jun 18, 2018 wrote:
I'm not saying that any of the opinions posted are wrong, in fact, they explain giant species very well. I just want to produce evidence for my speculation for evolved giant species:
First: Jonah Town and Scrimshaw: Yes, whales are huge, on earth the largest mammal is the Blue Whale, but never has there been a whale large enough to support an entire town on it's back or in it's belly or ( in the case of Scrimshaw ) enfold an entire town in it's bones.
Second Isla de los Muertos, the Gorge of Bones: here we see the remains of a gigantic bison, as large as a ship.
Third: The Cutthroat Bundle House: the entrance to the upper part of the house is through the mouth of a skull of a meat eating dinosaur ( perhaps Tyranosaurus Rex Giganticus? )
With evidence of living and dead creatures of gigantic size, one of them prehistoric, ( maybe pre-wizard? ) I present my further belief in a world producing these giant mounts.
( let the debate continue ).
You do have a point, but how did they evolve that way and how does that whale fly? I think the answer is ultimately magic, The spiral, it's a magical place.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Perhaps Stormzilla comes from this world? After all there is a snack called "Monster Island Mochi"