Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

best pvp strategy for a musketeer

AuthorMessage
Lieutenant
Mar 27, 2014
as the title says, i need a good strategy that actually works. every strategy i have used has failed.

shields/absorbs on milo/contessa= failed.
scratch and bombs= failed.
shooting crew and gear= failed.
nefarious staff plus beast banner= failed.

if anyone has any good strategies THAT WORK let me know. i want Gladiator rank in pvp and will use any strategy i haven't already used. once i get Gladiator rank i will quit all pvp for good.

Gunner's Mate
Dec 25, 2015
the minutemen on Jan 22, 2018 wrote:
as the title says, i need a good strategy that actually works. every strategy i have used has failed.

shields/absorbs on milo/contessa= failed.
scratch and bombs= failed.
shooting crew and gear= failed.
nefarious staff plus beast banner= failed.

if anyone has any good strategies THAT WORK let me know. i want Gladiator rank in pvp and will use any strategy i haven't already used. once i get Gladiator rank i will quit all pvp for good.
Wait, scratch and bombs? I thought you refused to use companions that weren't boosted by agility. Anyway, try the melee musketeer set.

Lieutenant
Mar 27, 2014
kingme655 on Jan 22, 2018 wrote:
Wait, scratch and bombs? I thought you refused to use companions that weren't boosted by agility. Anyway, try the melee musketeer set.
i figured it was worth a try and it kinda works up until a certain point. and a melee musket is not considered a musket. they would be falling into buckler category. and as i said, shields with the two best universal bucklers in the game failed. any other ideas? by the way barricade camp also fails. it's just a death trap vs privy who spam the daylight out of bombs.

Petty Officer
Dec 26, 2012
Have you tried getting Overwatch 5 and using Chantal, Nausica, and Scratch/Contessa? That's arguably one of the more popular sets and ow 5 has a chance to push a person back a space and stop them from moving. I would pack a set of bombs, shields like Valor's Armor and Fortress, a heal or two, and remember to position your team so you won't get chained to death or bombed by Privateers when the time is right.

Lieutenant
Mar 27, 2014
AllToonedUp on Jan 23, 2018 wrote:
Have you tried getting Overwatch 5 and using Chantal, Nausica, and Scratch/Contessa? That's arguably one of the more popular sets and ow 5 has a chance to push a person back a space and stop them from moving. I would pack a set of bombs, shields like Valor's Armor and Fortress, a heal or two, and remember to position your team so you won't get chained to death or bombed by Privateers when the time is right.
i cant get overwatch 5. not by gear alone. i need Bounding Overwatch at the front and even then it only lasts 3 rounds. i have my stand set of bombs (mini, normal and knockback) i can have one absorb without sacrificing potential Overwatch 5. and i am packing only one heal thanks to the Commodore. and there is no way i can position my crew to where they all trigger Overwatch and not get bombed or chained.

Petty Officer
Dec 26, 2012
the minutemen on Jan 23, 2018 wrote:
i cant get overwatch 5. not by gear alone. i need Bounding Overwatch at the front and even then it only lasts 3 rounds. i have my stand set of bombs (mini, normal and knockback) i can have one absorb without sacrificing potential Overwatch 5. and i am packing only one heal thanks to the Commodore. and there is no way i can position my crew to where they all trigger Overwatch and not get bombed or chained.
If you can't get Overwatch 5 then just 3 is fine and packing hidden, heals and/or shields. The main point of Musketeer is playing defensive and using your bombs/traps to control the area and prevent people from getting close to you. Raise Barricade is good in certain situations as well and Grants Burst Fire from a pet + Scent 2 is an absolute must. Also remember to invest in bombs and more attacks because if you focus too much on defense, you're giving the other person an opportunity to punish you.

If the enemy is playing aggressive then I would recommend taking out their companions one by one if possible or aiming for the captain if they're unprepared. A dead captain is almost always a guaranteed lose.

I don't even use Overwatch at all and I don't really even have issues. I think you just need to practice more and experiment with your strategy with friends if you can.

Lieutenant
Mar 27, 2014
AllToonedUp on Jan 24, 2018 wrote:
If you can't get Overwatch 5 then just 3 is fine and packing hidden, heals and/or shields. The main point of Musketeer is playing defensive and using your bombs/traps to control the area and prevent people from getting close to you. Raise Barricade is good in certain situations as well and Grants Burst Fire from a pet + Scent 2 is an absolute must. Also remember to invest in bombs and more attacks because if you focus too much on defense, you're giving the other person an opportunity to punish you.

If the enemy is playing aggressive then I would recommend taking out their companions one by one if possible or aiming for the captain if they're unprepared. A dead captain is almost always a guaranteed lose.

I don't even use Overwatch at all and I don't really even have issues. I think you just need to practice more and experiment with your strategy with friends if you can.
hidden+overwatch=bad. plus hidden and barricades wont protect you from bomb happy privateers. i currently have a pet that gives true grit and scent 2. i did think of one strategy that does work but i need more absorbs. the two i have ain't cutting it.

Petty Officer
Dec 26, 2012
the minutemen on Jan 25, 2018 wrote:
hidden+overwatch=bad. plus hidden and barricades wont protect you from bomb happy privateers. i currently have a pet that gives true grit and scent 2. i did think of one strategy that does work but i need more absorbs. the two i have ain't cutting it.
Well with the Privateer thing you can try to spread out you and your companions so they won't take up as much damage and running away from their melee companions if possible. I would also pack a heal or two to last long in battle and honestly I think a lot of your problems stem from not finding a definite strategy. You should have many many tricks up your sleeve especially against the two most top picked classes (Privateer and Buccaneer)

Overwatch 5 is by far the optimal strategy in PVP for Musketeers and if you can't achieve that then I can't really help you.

I fought champion Privateers and still beat them so there is ways around their "op-ness" like what I said before and practice does make perfect after all.

Lieutenant
Mar 27, 2014
AllToonedUp on Jan 26, 2018 wrote:
Well with the Privateer thing you can try to spread out you and your companions so they won't take up as much damage and running away from their melee companions if possible. I would also pack a heal or two to last long in battle and honestly I think a lot of your problems stem from not finding a definite strategy. You should have many many tricks up your sleeve especially against the two most top picked classes (Privateer and Buccaneer)

Overwatch 5 is by far the optimal strategy in PVP for Musketeers and if you can't achieve that then I can't really help you.

I fought champion Privateers and still beat them so there is ways around their "op-ness" like what I said before and practice does make perfect after all.
well the strategy i thought of does work but only if one of my two absorbs show up in my hand by round 3. and sometimes they dont even when both are at the front. and if that happens then chances of me winning are slim to none.

Petty Officer
Dec 26, 2012
the minutemen on Jan 26, 2018 wrote:
well the strategy i thought of does work but only if one of my two absorbs show up in my hand by round 3. and sometimes they dont even when both are at the front. and if that happens then chances of me winning are slim to none.
Now I see the issue. The problem is that in PVP you need to learn how to adapt in different situations, you can't just expect to win each time. Use your losses as a way to learn.

Lieutenant
Mar 27, 2014
AllToonedUp on Jan 28, 2018 wrote:
Now I see the issue. The problem is that in PVP you need to learn how to adapt in different situations, you can't just expect to win each time. Use your losses as a way to learn.
i finally got to Gladiator. had to farm for one more absorb. then i was able to be content. wanted to get one more but mr. Bronco was not dropping it. so i settled with 3. which worked for me. until next season rolls around i ain't going near the pvp halls. dont want to lose Gladiator a second time.