Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

whats your favorite book(s)?

AuthorMessage
Captain
Apr 24, 2016
pirates, I would like to know, what your favorite book or books?

I have a couple:

1: doctor who: the sontaran games. I just got this book today, and since its a quick read, I finished it with like a hour or so. I love it! its one of those online books you can get on your phone. a ebook, I guess.

2: last stand on the ocean shore. this is a minecraft book about a real boy who gets stuck In minecraft because of one of his father's inventions, and he has to battle herobrine, the legend of minecraftia!

3: a Disney descendants school of secrets book, cj's treasure hunt. its the first book in the school of secrets series, and I have read it, and the two books after it.

4: this isn't a book per se, but its on a game I used to play. its called "the haunting of braidwood manor" and I love it, but the app doesn't work anymore, so ):

whats yours?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
thedragonpirate245... on Sep 16, 2017 wrote:

I have a couple:

1: doctor who: the sontaran games. I just got this book today, and since its a quick read, I finished it with like a hour or so. I love it! its one of those online books you can get on your phone. a ebook, I guess.

2: last stand on the ocean shore. this is a minecraft book about a real boy who gets stuck In minecraft because of one of his father's inventions, and he has to battle herobrine, the legend of minecraftia!

3: a Disney descendants school of secrets book, cj's treasure hunt. its the first book in the school of secrets series, and I have read it, and the two books after it.

4: this isn't a book per se, but its on a game I used to play. its called "the haunting of braidwood manor" and I love it, but the app doesn't work anymore, so ):

whats yours?
I really can't answer that question as I've had a lot of favorites through the years & my library contain many books I consider "friends".
I've read "classics" of which Shakespeare's Plays are an all-time favorite of mine.
Modern fiction - eminently J.K. Rowlings, all her Harry Potter books have everything that a good adventure yarn needs, + humor. And, of course J.R.R. Tolkien's & C.S. Lewis' works are also favorites.
Nonfiction - Biographies, history, archaeology, & popular sciences ( dumbed down for the lay person. )

Bosun
Dec 28, 2012
Book 15 was pretty good, it just took too long to release /sarcasm

In all serious, I've been really enjoying reading The Giver quartet. It's a series of books based around a dystopian world and it's really interesting to see the social structure and jobs of an emotionless world. I would definitely recommend it to anyone out there and it's a pretty fast read too.

Lieutenant
Jan 30, 2013
1. Percy Jackson by Rick Riordan.
2. The Kane chronicles by Rick Riordan.
3: Harry potter by J.K. Rowling.
4. The Mistmantle Chronicles by M.I McAllister

Those are just my favorites. I have read almost a full library lol

(Ps: If you are looking for a book to entertain a younger sibling, Geronimo Stilton is awesome.

Misty lvl 70
Zoe lvl 15)

Lieutenant
Oct 28, 2012
My favorite book series is very theme fitting since its about pirates "The Tales of the Ketty Jay", a 4 book series of steampunk-ish pirates. Ironically, they also traverse the skies instead of water like in Pirate101.

Lieutenant
Jan 30, 2013
Alex the Pirate on Sep 17, 2017 wrote:
Book 15 was pretty good, it just took too long to release /sarcasm

In all serious, I've been really enjoying reading The Giver quartet. It's a series of books based around a dystopian world and it's really interesting to see the social structure and jobs of an emotionless world. I would definitely recommend it to anyone out there and it's a pretty fast read too.
Yes! I totally forgot to list The Giver. I am more of a fan of the first book that the rest, but that is an extremely good book!

Also...

Anyone like Animal Farm...?

Misty lvl 70
Zoe lvl 15

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
The Stalwart Queen on Sep 17, 2017 wrote:
Yes! I totally forgot to list The Giver. I am more of a fan of the first book that the rest, but that is an extremely good book!

Also...

Misty lvl 70
Zoe lvl 15
Yep, the only George Orwell book I enjoyed, the animation short based on the book was also very well done!

Bosun
Dec 28, 2012
The Stalwart Queen on Sep 17, 2017 wrote:

Also...

Misty lvl 70
Zoe lvl 15
I plan on reading Animal Farm sometime. I have the book, I've just never gotten a chance to read this. I'm also focusing on finishing the aforementioned Giver Quartet, but I'll probably be reading it sometime soon.

First Mate
Dec 13, 2009
I'll second (third?) the Giver and Harry Potter. I also like Fahrenheit 451 and the Hobbit.In addition, I've been reading the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher, probably my favorite books, about a wizard PI who references Star Wars, struggles to earn a living, and is also constantly at the risk of being executed by the wizard secret police. They convict on suspicion and take justice into their own hands. The death sentence is the only sentence they know of.Working with him are a few recurring characters such as Bob, the artificial spirit of knowledge who lives in a skull, Michael Carpenter, basically a catholic paladin, and Karrin Murphy, the police lieutenant who occasionally hires him. Also a succubus-type vampire named Thomas. I like Thomas.Occasionally he talks to some magic fairies. They're real and they're terrifying.
Later on, Harry...

EVERYTHING BELOW THIS LINE IS SPOILERS

SPOILER ALERT!
Spoiler alert!

starts a war with some vampires over his girlfriend who they tried to turn into a vampire.
Spoiler alert!
SPOILER ALERT!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Kai Alcott on Sep 19, 2017 wrote:
I'll second (third?) the Giver and Harry Potter. I also like Fahrenheit 451 and the Hobbit.In addition, I've been reading the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher, probably my favorite books, about a wizard PI who references Star Wars, struggles to earn a living, and is also constantly at the risk of being executed by the wizard secret police. They convict on suspicion and take justice into their own hands. The death sentence is the only sentence they know of.Working with him are a few recurring characters such as Bob, the artificial spirit of knowledge who lives in a skull, Michael Carpenter, basically a catholic paladin, and Karrin Murphy, the police lieutenant who occasionally hires him. Also a succubus-type vampire named Thomas. I like Thomas.Occasionally he talks to some magic fairies. They're real and they're terrifying.
Later on, Harry...

EVERYTHING BELOW THIS LINE IS SPOILERS

SPOILER ALERT!
Spoiler alert!

starts a war with some vampires over his girlfriend who they tried to turn into a vampire.
Spoiler alert!
SPOILER ALERT!
Ugh, Fahrenheit 451 turned me off to Ray Bradbury for a while. And I had that book in both my junior & senior years, meanwhile my sister's sophomore class got To Kill a Mockingbird.
She was using cliff-notes so I borrowed her book - and loved it!

First Mate
Dec 13, 2009
anecorbie on Sep 19, 2017 wrote:
Ugh, Fahrenheit 451 turned me off to Ray Bradbury for a while. And I had that book in both my junior & senior years, meanwhile my sister's sophomore class got To Kill a Mockingbird.
I had it for 8th grade english. Most of my class bragged about not reading it. Same with Hobbit in 7th grade, really. I loved both of those books though.
What did you not like about Fahrenheit 451?

Commodore
Sep 20, 2009
Favourite books, eh?
I have quite a few, my so called personal library fills the spare bedroom in my house, but there are a few books in it that I find myself returning to often.

Definitely, the first would be Bram Stoker's Dracula. If you've seen the movies, or any other iteration of Dracula in pop culture, none of them compare in the slightest to the novel.

Tied in second place would be the works of CS Lewis and JRR Tolkien.

Third is the Harry Potter series.

Fourth, the Three musketteers, (properly named the D'Artangnon Romances, romances as in stories) I mean, look at my username.

Fifth, Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, trilogy of five by Douglas Adams. ( this is also tied with the Dirk Gently series)

And then rounding out, in terms of authors, Charles Dickens, Jules Vern, HG Wells, Stuart Mclean, Sir Walter Scott, Robert Louis Stevenson, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle...and many others, but I'm going to stop there before I start listing everybook I have ever read.

Wait, I almost forgot Anne of Green Gables.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Kai Alcott on Sep 19, 2017 wrote:
I had it for 8th grade english. Most of my class bragged about not reading it. Same with Hobbit in 7th grade, really. I loved both of those books though.
What did you not like about Fahrenheit 451?
1. a distopian future, it's becoming a cliche. What if the future is going to be as it is right now? And why does it have to depicted as bad?
2. book burning and the Clown.
3. Plus the fact that I had 2 years of this unpleasant book.
I like other Ray Bradbury novels. I recently read a selection of short stories from Dandelion Wine ( I believe that was the title and enjoyed those. )

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
My taste in books has changed a LOT over the years. As a child I think I went through the entire section of Fairy Tales at the local library. Teenager, I devoured the entire collection of Agatha Christie, alongside finding first C.S. Lewis, then J.R.R. Tolkien and Lloyd Alexander, and finally Isaac Asimov. Throughout my twenties, I subscribed to Isaac Asmiov's Science Fiction Magazine and Ellery Queen's Mystery Magazine -- short fiction was the taste of that time, in addition to collecting Ellis Peter's Brother Cadfael series.

Since having kids, I started collecting Sandra Boynton board books, and reading young fiction like Harry Potter, Percy Jackson and the Childreen of the Lamp series by P.B. Kerr. Orson Scott Card's Alvin Maker series earned its place on my bookshelves.

Lately, more adult series like the A through Y of Sue Grafton, Aunt Dimity by Nancy Atherton, and Agatha Raisin by M.C. Beaton are my norm.

I am so sad to see so many bookstores closing. Our city lost our Hastings last year, so everyone needs to cherish their local libraries.

First Mate
Dec 13, 2009
CdeWinter on Sep 20, 2017 wrote:
Favourite books, eh?
I have quite a few, my so called personal library fills the spare bedroom in my house, but there are a few books in it that I find myself returning to often.

Definitely, the first would be Bram Stoker's Dracula. If you've seen the movies, or any other iteration of Dracula in pop culture, none of them compare in the slightest to the novel.

Tied in second place would be the works of CS Lewis and JRR Tolkien.

Third is the Harry Potter series.

Fourth, the Three musketteers, (properly named the D'Artangnon Romances, romances as in stories) I mean, look at my username.

Fifth, Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, trilogy of five by Douglas Adams. ( this is also tied with the Dirk Gently series)

And then rounding out, in terms of authors, Charles Dickens, Jules Vern, HG Wells, Stuart Mclean, Sir Walter Scott, Robert Louis Stevenson, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle...and many others, but I'm going to stop there before I start listing everybook I have ever read.

Wait, I almost forgot Anne of Green Gables.
...Trilogy of five?
And there are five Hitchhikers books? I thought it was just one.

Lieutenant
Jul 18, 2016
thedragonpirate245... on Sep 16, 2017 wrote:

I have a couple:

whats yours?
My favorite book, eh? I'd have to go to the Unicorn Scholars in Valencia to check out a book from them. I'm not sure if this counts as a "book" per se, but ever since I was a young lad in fifth grade (9 years ago I was 11 years old) I have always been a fan of binge watching anime and reading graphic novels. My favorite would be Masashi Kishimoto's graphic novel "Naruto," my second favorite would be Hiromu Arakawa's "Fullmetal Alchemist," and my third favorite would be Tite Kubo's "Bleach." There are thousands of other graphic novels that I have read since I am a huge anime fanatic, but those made it to my top 3 favorites. Any other anime fans out there or is it just me?

Sincerely,
Stormy Elijah Silver (Max Swashbuckler)
Corrupt Zane Silver (Max Privateer)
Dark Blaze Sharp (Max Witchdoctor)
Sly Brady Silver (Level 36 Musketeer-in-Training)
Merciless Toby Silver (Level 20 Buccaneer-in-Training)

Bosun
Dec 28, 2012
anecorbie on Sep 19, 2017 wrote:
I LOVED Tkamb! I've also been reading farenheit 451 but I haven't read enough to form opinions. I like raybradburys poetic language, but I'm also a poetry nerd so I'm biased.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Willowydream on Sep 20, 2017 wrote:
My taste in books has changed a LOT over the years. As a child I think I went through the entire section of Fairy Tales at the local library. Teenager, I devoured the entire collection of Agatha Christie, alongside finding first C.S. Lewis, then J.R.R. Tolkien and Lloyd Alexander, and finally Isaac Asimov. Throughout my twenties, I subscribed to Isaac Asmiov's Science Fiction Magazine and Ellery Queen's Mystery Magazine -- short fiction was the taste of that time, in addition to collecting Ellis Peter's Brother Cadfael series.

Since having kids, I started collecting Sandra Boynton board books, and reading young fiction like Harry Potter, Percy Jackson and the Childreen of the Lamp series by P.B. Kerr. Orson Scott Card's Alvin Maker series earned its place on my bookshelves.

Lately, more adult series like the A through Y of Sue Grafton, Aunt Dimity by Nancy Atherton, and Agatha Raisin by M.C. Beaton are my norm.

I am so sad to see so many bookstores closing. Our city lost our Hastings last year, so everyone needs to cherish their local libraries.

I see we both like the same Mystery writers, since you also seem to enjoy some history mixed with mystery, may I recommend The Marcus Didius Falco series by Lindsey Davies?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
crimsonreaper5 on Sep 20, 2017 wrote:
My favorite book, eh? I'd have to go to the Unicorn Scholars in Valencia to check out a book from them. I'm not sure if this counts as a "book" per se, but ever since I was a young lad in fifth grade (9 years ago I was 11 years old) I have always been a fan of binge watching anime and reading graphic novels. My favorite would be Masashi Kishimoto's graphic novel "Naruto," my second favorite would be Hiromu Arakawa's "Fullmetal Alchemist," and my third favorite would be Tite Kubo's "Bleach." There are thousands of other graphic novels that I have read since I am a huge anime fanatic, but those made it to my top 3 favorites. Any other anime fans out there or is it just me?

Sincerely,
I do like some anime, and I advocate reading- even comics, fan books or graphic novels. Of which my favorite is Elf Quest by Richard & Wendy Pini.

Commodore
Sep 20, 2009
Kai Alcott on Sep 20, 2017 wrote:
...Trilogy of five?
And there are five Hitchhikers books? I thought it was just one.
Yes, Trilogy of five.
It started out as a trilogy (actually it started as a radio play), and then unexpectedly grew to four, and then five, and now technically six. But the the sixth book was not written by Douglas Adams.

The complete Douglas Adams series is;
The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe, Life, the Universe and Everything, So Long and thanks for all the fish and, Mostly Harmless.

The sixth book was written in the same style as the Trilogy, but was written by Eoin Colfer, after Douglas Adams passed away. The sixth book is And another Thing. It does provide a nice clean conclusion to the Trilogy of Five, but still isn't really a part of the trilogy.

First Mate
Dec 13, 2009
crimsonreaper5 on Sep 20, 2017 wrote:

Sincerely,
An argument I have with my sister all the time:

Anime is not its own distinct form of media. An 'anime' is a cartoon. I'm being completely serious here when I say people who think "cartoons r 4 kids, animus r soopar matoor, are for adults, yo" are the worst thing about the world as it is now.please don't be in that group. don't be like my sister.