Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Would it help KI to advertise Pirate101 in W101?

AuthorMessage
Bosun
Apr 26, 2009
It's midnight (as I'm posting this) and I just recently got back into the game. Not even sure if this post belongs on the forums

Obviously, there's a playerbase issue and no I'm not a PhD in marketing or anything, but I was just thinking; what if Kingsisle were to do promotions in-game for Wizard101?

Frankly, I haven't seen an ad for pirate101 in years. If you were someone who just or relatively recently started playing Wizard101 and just went to the wizard101 website, how would you know Kingsisle has another game? The only mention I see of Pirate on the Wizard site is if I were to purchase membership, it also has an offer for pirate membership. Not much.

I just simply haven't seen a pirate ad in ages! Maybe I don't go to the right websites or watch the right TV channels anymore, but I just don't see the game getting itself out there.

No, nobody likes ads plastered everywhere, and ads are becoming increasingly malicious as time rolls on (creating an even more negative stigma around them), but seriously. I really reallllly think Kingsisle needs to put the game out there. GET THE GAME ROLLING! I know it's not that simple, things often aren't, but something can be done right? Maybe on the wizard site's picture-scrolly thing in the middle of the page, put a banner for pirate in there!

"Try your hand at swashbuckling! Current Wizard101 members are eligible for one week of unlimited Pirate101 adventures! (Offer lasts from 9/1/17 to 9/30/17)!

"Reach level 10 (or however long the free to play content lasts, I forget) in Pirate101 and receive a two random card packs!

Or maybe even a pirate101 themed card pack with some of the coolest looking gear the game has to offer.

Or SOMETHING like that. Something to get people to try it, play it, and maybe give it a shot. . Maybe something crazy! I'm not saying leech the players off of Wizard101, but Pirate101 is an AMAZING game but it just doesn't have the publicity it needs and I feel like many wizard players might not have even heard of the game or given it a shot.

"I know it sounds crazy, but crazy's what often gets people out of trouble."

Bosun
Dec 28, 2012
One of the problems with advertising on TV, youtube, etc. is Pirate101 doesn't have that large of funds as wizard101 is KI's main money-maker and focus and most of their production goes towards it. The latter ideas of in game promotions in Wiz to get people to try out Pirate could be an excellent cheap alternative and I would love to see that become a thing.

First Mate
Dec 29, 2012
I don't think that would help.

1.) At launch, Pirate101 was heavily marketed to Wizard101 players.

2.) Wizard101 websites already feature links and advertisements to Pirate101. KI Live features all their games.

While I'm certainly both a Pirate101 and Wizard101 player, I suspect there is a large KI fan base that cannot financially support membership/crowns for both games (let alone just one game). So they side with Wizard101 for whatever reason.

I believe the real boon is not competing time/money away from Wizard101, but rather attracting new players interested in pirate games or even RTS-like games. Especially with a certain movie out now and what seems to be several new pirate-based MMOs in development from other publishers, KI can still keep a niche in the "all ages" categories.