Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Dual Boxing - My Experience

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Dec 21, 2016
Dual Boxing in Pirate101

I have a family account with two accounts in order to play simulaneously with my sister. So we are playing a swashbuckler and a musketeer. But since I am retired and my sister works full time, I also dual box with two characters I created – one in each account; these are a swashbuckler and a privateer. So I am playing both characters at the same time myself.

I do this by logging in to each account. I use one computer so I don’t use full screen; I can see both windows side by side and switch back and forth. I also switch sound off on one window. I am trying to do all my quests together, but occasionally a character has a quest (such as some companion promotion quests) that have to be done alone.

Here are some pros and cons on playing this way.

Pros: It’s fun and different. I have soloed a witchdoctor up to level 70. I occasionally battle with a random unknown other player as a friend, but I don’t like this too much. Playing two characters by myself or playing with my sister while we chat on the phone is fun for me. As for game play, two characters gives you a lot of options in fights with various companions to choose and all the mixed talents and powers of your main characters. You can fight with 2 Ratbeards helping! Sometimes two pets join the fight. I thought a lot about which character types to combine; I thought swashbuckler and privateer might be a good match, and it’s working well. It is good to also plan for cross-training with other character types and combine even more abilities. When running around a lot on some quests, I let one character get somewhere and then have the other transport to their location. I tried to figure out if I could do ship battles with 2 ships but it was very difficult. I now place both characters on one ship. In a fight, the “passenger” character can put out fires and such, if you are quick. Remember to join your characters as friends but also as a group otherwise you can’t both do some types of ship fights. You get a lot of those double-locked chests in fights which often have good rewards. Your characters can have two saved locations to transport to because one can always join the other after transport. Another pro – it seems that if a ship sails into a Yum fruit, both characters benefit from the same fruit.

Cons: I sometimes run out of time assigning tasks to both teams in a fight; you have to make quick decisions. You also have to be quick at the end of a land fight to get both characters free of the arena if you don’t want to be in another fight immediately. I get bored by those quests where you collect boxes in the sea or items on trails. Both characters have to collect all items so if there are 8 items, that is 16 to collect. This may not matter to everyone, but playing takes longer because there are more enemies in a fight when there are two characters; for instance, I found dungeons much faster when soloing.

Anyone else doing this?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
WD Kestrel Morgan on Jul 21, 2017 wrote:
Dual Boxing in Pirate101

I have a family account with two accounts in order to play simulaneously with my sister. So we are playing a swashbuckler and a musketeer. But since I am retired and my sister works full time, I also dual box with two characters I created – one in each account; these are a swashbuckler and a privateer. So I am playing both characters at the same time myself.

I do this by logging in to each account. I use one computer so I don’t use full screen; I can see both windows side by side and switch back and forth. I also switch sound off on one window. I am trying to do all my quests together, but occasionally a character has a quest (such as some companion promotion quests) that have to be done alone.

Pros: It’s fun and different. I have soloed a witchdoctor up to level 70. I occasionally battle with a random unknown other player as a friend, but I don’t like this too much. Playing two characters by myself or playing with my sister while we chat on the phone is fun for me. As for game play, two characters gives you a lot of options in fights with various companions to choose and all the mixed talents and powers of your main characters. You can fight with 2 Ratbeards helping! Sometimes two pets join the fight. I thought a lot about which character types to combine; I thought swashbuckler and privateer might be a good match, and it’s working well. It is good to also plan for cross-training with other character types and combine even more abilities. When running around a lot on some quests, I let one character get somewhere and then have the other transport to their location. I tried to figure out if I could do ship battles with 2 ships but it was very difficult. I now place both characters on one ship. In a fight, the “passenger” character can put out fires and such, if you are quick. Remember to join your characters as friends but also as a group otherwise you can’t both do some types of ship fights. You get a lot of those double-locked chests in fights which often have good rewards. Your characters can have two saved locations to transport to because one can always join the other after transport. Another pro – it seems that if a ship sails into a Yum fruit, both characters benefit from the same fruit.

Cons: I sometimes run out of time assigning tasks to both teams in a fight; you have to make quick decisions. You also have to be quick at the end of a land fight to get both characters free of the arena if you don’t want to be in another fight immediately. I get bored by those quests where you collect boxes in the sea or items on trails. Both characters have to collect all items so if there are 8 items, that is 16 to collect. This may not matter to everyone, but playing takes longer because there are more enemies in a fight when there are two characters; for instance, I found dungeons much faster when soloing.

Anyone else doing this?
Occasionally, I don't like it because sometimes one account lags behind the other.

Commodore
May 31, 2009
WD Kestrel Morgan on Jul 21, 2017 wrote:
Dual Boxing in Pirate101

Anyone else doing this?
I double-screen more in Wizard101 than Pirate101 but in either game I find it incredibly fun. I tend to narrate more in my head than what the game's dialogue describes, so having two accounts running at the same time opens new doors for character development and interaction between pirates. From a gameplay standard, it's nice in fights, especially if one pirate outlevels the other. I usually drop the game window size so both fit on one screen; it's easier and faster than switching back and forth between two full-size windows. The only complaint I have with this play style is the lag issue in battles but it's generally tolerable.